Flow jet pump

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The only thing that would worry me there is if the pump motor started overheating, especially if on for a little while, such as when showering for instance, or maybe when priming the system. But it's an interesting thought.
My on board pump does not get warm. I suspect the water flowing and the size of the metal acts as excellent heat sinks.

Reactions: Barry C
Jun 15, 2024
Visit site
We also have an Alpine 2. Pumps on Sprite vans are well known for being really noisy and “ Jack hammer” is not much of an exaggeration. Well done to Barry C for quieting the beast and in the experience of most of us, it is absolutely nothing to do with the pressure switch. IMHO I would go straight to my AWS techie and never ask a dealer anything.
Mel
Many thanks.

To be fair our beef is with Swift themselves, not the dealer. The AWS dealer we bought our caravan from is an hour away from us, so a bit of a trek, but we need to be careful to not invalidate the warranty. But the dealer is very good, not displeased with them. Our brand new caravan turned out to have a bad leak in the front window, and one of the grab handle screws had been sheared, almost certainly from being overtightened at the factory.

The dealer was very good and their workshop manager kept me posted what they found and what they were doing to fix it, and discussed it all with me before doing the fix. I'd made it very clear I wanted a proper back-to-new repair done and not just a patch up job, and they did it right. Took the window right out, filed down the offending badly cut bit of the caravan frame (Swift's dodgy production quality!), and then fitted a new seal and sealant. All under warranty of course. This was some weeks ago now, and we have had some horrendous downpours, but no further sign of any leaks so far.

But Swift's "Technical" Help seem as useful as a chocolate teapot, negligible discernible technical expertise at all. People have been talking about this issue for more than 10 years from what I can see, and appalling Swift have never applied themselves to sorting it, but just fudge the issue with incompetent bad advice.

But for the pump noise I felt better qualified to sort it myself - I've worked in engineering for the last 55 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 15, 2024
Visit site
My on board pump does not get warm. I suspect the water flowing and the size of the metal acts as excellent heat sinks.
In which case I may have a go at something similar also. Although the pump is much quieter now (much much quieter!), it can still be heard ticking away when it runs, so I may just see if that would make it even better still.

Jun 15, 2024
Visit site
I find there's enough pressure in the system to push a couple of litres of water out ...
Interesting thought. Might try turning the pump off at night anyway, as would only need a little bit of water to wash hands during night. Although our pump is now much quieter, it can still be heard under the bed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts