A939 Tomintoul Road

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi There,

We will be travelling from Braemar to Ullapool in a couple of weeks. The most direct route is the A939, but the CC says that it is unsuitable for caravans.

I've read elsewhere that it is OK to use, if you have enough power as it's very steep.

Does anyone have any experience of towing on this road or is it a complete no-no ?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alex

We've never towed on this road. It's not just steep (20%) but a prolonged climb with lots of sharp bends. My husband used this road quite a lot with his works Mercedes Sprinter van and says it is first gear for at least the first quarter of a mile after the Allargue Arms. We have a Subaru Forester towing our Bailey Ranger and we wouldn't use this route with the van.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Country lass,

Thanks for your reply. It's kinda what I was epxecting to be honest. It's the most direct route, hence the question.

We now need to consider going back down to Blairgowrie, Dunkeld and onto the A9 up to Inverness.

Or go futher east of Braemar and up the A97.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks again for you advice,

Alex.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Alex

My husband says he would go the south direction, that's what we did going from Breamar to Fort William. You don't go as far as Blairgowrie as you can cut a corner off the route. It's not far past the campsite and is signposted "Kirkmichael" and takes you to Pitlochry. The road number is B950.

Hope this helps

May 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alex

I travelled this road daily for a couple of months last summer and there is no way I would try to take my small caravan that route. I was driving a Vivaro van and although one of the most scenic routes it is too steep and winding for a caravan. My advice would be to head for the A9.

Willie

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Deffo no to the A939, the road around the "Bridge of Brown" is scary enough solo, never mind towing!

Hope you find an alternative route and enjoy!

Cheers

G

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
I'd forgotten about the Bridge of Brown section until we went that way yesterday (without the van) on our way to Loch Garten. My husband remembered that he'd seen a bus stuck there last summer.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and your suggestions.

We're not going to go the A939, not worth the stress or hassle.

Considered going back South and cutting over to the A9, but reckon that, as we haven't been on the roads up there at all, we're going to go East and then North to pick up the A96 and head along to Inverness.

Looking forward to seeing some new towns and villages.

Thanks again,

Alex.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts