A957 Stonehaven to Crathes

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Going to the C&CC at Tarland shortly. The A957 is not recommended for towing by them. However when I checked the cc route to Banchory it is a recommended route. Can anyone advise whether it is OK to use this road as it would cut some miles off a long journey.

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Helen,

You'll be fine to take this scenic route, otherwise known as the Slug road. Although if arriving outwith rush hour probably just as quick and easy to come into Aberdeen and take the Banchory road west from the ring road.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
We travel often from Fraserburgh to Silverbank. At busy times we normally head straight through Aberdeen and take the slug. Its easier than trying to get over the traffic to join the Deeside road off the ring road.

The slug itself is not a problem. I noticed that the C&CC didn't recommend it.

BTW Silverbank is a far better site than Tarland! Just my opinion!

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Helen

We use this road fairly regularly and can't see any problem with towing a caravan on it, HGV's use it. It's no worse than the route to the C&CC site at Millarochy Bay for steepness and twisting. The recommended route takes you up a long steep hill and is narrower than the Slug with a nasty narrow bridge on a bend. Stick to the Slug.

I can't say whether Tarland is nicer than Silverbank or not but I know lots of people who like both.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Yes the slug is much easier than the approach to Millorochy Bay which the C&CC don't mention as being a problem! I personally would hate to have to come to a halt on that incline!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Helen,

The A957 is a good road which we use on a regular basis. You will not have any problems with this route. It's easier than going into Aberdeen which can be very congested at the Bridge of Dee as you enter the city.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Hope you have had a safe journey Helen.

We were at Silverbank this weekend, as usual when we got down to cut over to the North Deeside road it was queued forever so we shot down to Stonehaven and used the slug. Probably much longer in miles but if we'd waited in the queue we might still have been there.

TRENDING THREADS