AA European breakdown cover- a recent experience

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Whilst we were in France last month, an English family arrived at the pitch next to us, in a French hire car...

The family had set off in the 2013 VW Camper with 4 cycles on a tow bar rack & a tent , heading towards the Vendée. Just north of Nantes the stopped for fuel, filled up, van wouldn't start. They had AA European breakdown cover, called them out, a couple of hours later a recovery vehicle turned up, to their surprise there was zero attempt to diagnose the problem, their van was loaded onto the recovery vehicle and taken to the recovery firms yard. By this time it was around 6:00pm and garages had closed, they were left outside the recovery firms premises having grabbed a couple of bags. Another call to the AA and they were sorted out in a hotel in Nantes for the night.

In the morning they were chasing the AA to see what the situation with their van was, the AA didn't know, several calls later, and by now mid afternoon, they were advised by the AA that the recovery firm had dropped their van off at a garage, before the garage opened, but unfortunately because of the bike rack the garage couldn't get their van in the workshop!
Their van was taken to another garage and the AA organised a 2nd night accommodation in Nantes.

The following day, they are waiting for a call from the AA but nothing, so they called the AA and this is where it became apparent that the AA don't proactively manage the repair, they had zero update information, finally a call back from the AA; the second garage had their van, but wouldn't be able to look at it for over a week! The AA offered a hire car which they accepted.

They called into the garage to pick up the tent and other bits of kit, and set up at the pitch. Whilst they had a tent they slept in the van, so had no beds! fortunately Eurocamp were on the site, and they lent them some mattresses, outside table and chairs and a parasol.

In the end it took 10 days for the garage to look at their van and about 10 mins to determine the fault and fix it...a failed fuel pump fuse! something that really should have been fixed at the roadside, but that's not what the European cover guarantee's.

The family have UK AA breakdown cover, and added European cover assuming that it was a similar service i.e. 80% fixed at the roadside, reading the small print of European cover its really not about fixing your problem quickly, the AA don't manage the repair. I suspect there will be instances where a mechanic attends the roadside incident and fixes the problem, however its not what the AA subcontract, they simply arrange recovery, pot luck if you get a mechanic or a recovery person.

Clearly on the positive side the AA did everything that they are obliged to within European cover, arranged recovery, promptly arranged and paid for hotels and hire cars, they are less focused on getting the vehicle fixed, that's disappointing as it beggars belief that there wasn't a garage in Nantes that couldn't have looked at the van in the first 24 hours, this would have save the AA a stack of money and allowed the family to have the holiday they had planned?

I guess the moral of this debacle is to read the small print of any breakdown cover to be clear on what you will and wont get, and don't make assumptions!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It might be partly due to French law. On motorways, and this includes services, roadside repairs are not allowed. Vehicles have to be removed.

But my experiance of French recovery is they are mostly very poor.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A friend of ours had a poor experience in France when their Peugot 405 estate had a breakdown. They were with RAC but again the garage used was closed over a weekend and ensuing public holiday then announced a lengthy waiting time for repairs. The estimate for repairs was probably akin to the cars value, so it was shipped home where the repair cost was a lot less. They were provided with a saloon for the remainder of the holiday in France. But getting their kit onto the ferry was a laugh as the French hire car wasn’t covered and neither was the British hire car waiting in Portsmouth.

Be interested to hear if anyone has experience of Red Pennant CMHC cover.

Only time we used a French garage was in Souillac and there was a banging from the engine compartment. It was a loose starter motor on the 1.8 Marina. Called into a garage and they tightened it up. I asked what the charge would be and got a smile and Gallic shrug.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have had experience with Red Pennant. Mostly excellent. But that insurance is far more comprehensive with getting you home or continuing with the holiday etc. So it is not just limited to the vehicle.

But they use local services. Which can be dire.

Not that I have a caravan to worry about anymore, but I now have RAC European cover with home start via Barclays.

Checking it the other day, it seems that in Europe I am limited to 10 miles recovery. I need to look at it in more detail as that seems a bit useless.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have had experience with Red Pennant. Mostly excellent. But that insurance is far more comprehensive with getting you home or continuing with the holiday etc. So it is not just limited to the vehicle.

But they use local services. Which can be dire.

Not that I have a caravan to worry about anymore, but I now have RAC European cover with home start via Barclays.

Checking it the other day, it seems that in Europe I am limited to 10 miles recovery. I need to look at it in more detail as that seems a bit useless.

John
I’ve got full European with my Kia on same basis as UK which is quite comprehensive, but still not Red Pennant level.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
The only time we needed rescue (for a failed injector) was the time we forgot to arrange cover. Luckily as it turned out we had a Peugeot and were travelling solo.
Were pulled off the motorway to a local town late afternoon where the driver recommended a lovely (and cheap) hotel.
As the car could drive in limp mode I drove to the towns small Peugeot workshop where I explained in my appalling French that we had a ferry to catch.
Next day the workshop dropped everything and installed a new injector, whilst the hotel let us spend the day in a private room on their private floor without charge.

Final cost was similar to the same repair in the UK plus a bottle of wine for the mechanic and bouquet for the hotel owner, oh and the hotel (and food) was so nice we stayed a second night before driving to Calais.

A potentially bad experience which left only happy memories of kindness by the French.

However in future we will be taking out red pennant for European trips!

TRENDING THREADS