Abersoch - Site - Best Route

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ernie.

I've travelled from Stoke to this area a few times with a van and as you are probably aware, there are a few choices of route.

For me, the one I usually take is the A500 to Nantwich, then A51/A524 to Wrexham. Pick up the by-pass to join the A483 towards Oswestry then the A5 through Llangollen to Corwen. After Corwen, turn left onto the A494 to Bala. Once in Bala, turn right onto A4212. This road takes you round the Llyn Celyn reservoir and through some stunning Snowdonia scenery.

The road meets the A470 where you would turn right towards Porthmadog. Incidentally, the CC site Coed-Y-Llwyn is a couple of miles down the A470. Once in Porthmadog, pick up the A497 to Pwllheli and then A499 to Abersoch.

From Stafford, you could also travel to Eccleshall/Market Drayton/Whitchurch then via either Ellesmere or Overeton to pick up the A483 at Wrexham. Another easy route is the A55 coast road and drop down to Porthmadog via Caernarvon.

The closest site to Abersoch that I have stayed on is Eisteddfa Caravan Site in Criccieth. A very nice site with good facilities and sea views.

Hope this helps you.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ernie.

I've travelled from Stoke to this area a few times with a van and as you are probably aware, there are a few choices of route.

For me, the one I usually take is the A500 to Nantwich, then A51/A524 to Wrexham. Pick up the by-pass to join the A483 towards Oswestry then the A5 through Llangollen to Corwen. After Corwen, turn left onto the A494 to Bala. Once in Bala, turn right onto A4212. This road takes you round the Llyn Celyn reservoir and through some stunning Snowdonia scenery.

The road meets the A470 where you would turn right towards Porthmadog. Incidentally, the CC site Coed-Y-Llwyn is a couple of miles down the A470. Once in Porthmadog, pick up the A497 to Pwllheli and then A499 to Abersoch.

From Stafford, you could also travel to Eccleshall/Market Drayton/Whitchurch then via either Ellesmere or Overeton to pick up the A483 at Wrexham. Another easy route is the A55 coast road and drop down to Porthmadog via Caernarvon.

The closest site to Abersoch that I have stayed on is Eisteddfa Caravan Site in Criccieth. A very nice site with good facilities and sea views.

Hope this helps you.
Hi

many thanks for the routes.

ernst

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
ernie,

I live just outside Porthmadog next to Portmeirion.A new by-pass has just started to be built which will by-pass Porthmadog. The new road will turn off the existing Penrhyndeudraeth to Porthmadog road just short of Minffordd at a new large island, involving lowering the road by 12 feet so that it can go under the Ffestiniog Railway line, and run along side the main line railway, accros the marshes, to between Porthmadog and Tremadog. At a large island one branch will go to Criccieth and another to Caernarvon.

However during it's construction over the next 2 plus years i would avoid Pothmadog unless you actually want to visit the town.

Plus the fact that in the next few months the new West Highland Railway will start to run, along for 100 yards and crossing over the main high street in Porthmadog, joining up with the Ffestiniog Railway at Harbour station.

You can imagine the delays caused by the new road construction and the railway.

Therefore if you do not have to travel through Porthmadog in the next couple of years i would avoid it.

I would travel along the A55 to Bangor, then to Caernarvon, then A487 onto A499 to Pwllheli, then to Abersoch. This misses out Porthmadog.

When the by-pass is complete it will improve travelling times for everyone, missing out Porthmadog and the Cob if required, and making our village far more peaceful!!

Hamer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts