Achtung!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Anyone going to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival or visiting on your caravan tour beware.
The Greenie Tyre Extinguishers will be deflating all 4x4 car tyres without warning. Courtesy advanced warning from yesterday’s Daily Telegraph.
Very sad isn’t it🤬🤬

• Angry
Reactions: Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Very sad. Targeting folks who are NOT getting on aeroplanes for short haul flights seems to be missing the point. Once again there are folks who think that there is a simple solution to a complicated problem. And who also think that alienating the public is the best way to win hearts and minds in tackling Climate Change.
Mel

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
This is the metrocentric viewpoint again. People living within the M25 don't need to have SUVs so we'll let their tyres down. Ergo it follows in their tiny minds that no-one anywhere needs an SUV.
So what about all the farmers etc that live miles from anywhere in England - let alone parts of mid-Wales and the the Scottish Highlands and Islands where any form of 4x4 is almost a total necessity?
It really gets on my......... and we live in North Yorkshire which is barely a start!

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Not just short haul flights though Mel.

What about the private jets that carry half a dozen people around. And it would not surprise me if Governments had a hand in that game. I think plans were in place to fly a very small number of people to Rowanda on a very expensive plane not long ago.

Returning up the M1 last Tuesday (solo) there were two white vans following each other and travelling at a "good speed". That was for a long way but suddenly they both went into the third lane and dropped their speed to around 60mph. I was able to get past by moving to the lh lane at a slightly higher speed.

(Ok naughty)

A few followed me followed me but I could see in my mirror that traffic was generally building up behind the vans. After a few minutes there was very little behind me except a mass of vehicles delayed by the antics of the two van drivers.

A little later a BMW shot past me I estimate at over 100mph - I presume he was late and had managed to get past the hold-up. Of course being held up doesn't excuse his speed any more than my undertaking earlier.

About this time I noticed traffic on the other carriageway coming towards me seemed really dense. There had been very little traffic in either direction up to this point. I hadn't see any police in front carrying out a "rolling road block" but from this point onwards for I think maybe 20 minutes or more the carriageway was absolutely choked with dense traffic travelling slowly or at times not moving at all.

I am presuming I was witnessing one of the protests that have recently become fashionable.

Yes, anyone frustrated and angry caught up in this situation may take risks they would never normally take (The BMW for example) And yes those people may be involved in an accident because of their mental state resulting from anger and resentment emanating from the protests.

That doesn't shift blame onto the protesters of course, but many would argue creating a situation where motorists were being intentionally delayed, and for some any delay is more than just problematic for them but maybe also their job. Dare I mention the "Rescue Services" on a motorway with no hard shoulder!

Seems to me that fuel prices are, at least in part, a result of garages not passing on supply cost cuts/tax changes and basically profiteering.

Why don't the protesters simply block a few pumps to cause garages pain I wonder. Maybe that would have the intended result whilst delaying traffic certainly does little for the cause in my view.

Nah I don't mean that. Would rather fuel costs were reduced as a response to the genuine hardship both individuals and business people are suffering. Coast of living .................. Sighs.:(

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
John B i fully agree with you, last Sunday we had to travel up to Newcastle for a funeral, 😧 decided to just sit at 65 mph , solo, got a fantastic 48 mpg in the Santa Fe. On the way home to Milton keynes on the Monday afternoon the outer two lanes of the M1 were tail to tail, I stayed most of the time between the inner lane and the 2nd lane, at 65 mph as much as I hate it for safety, I was passing the two outer lanes ( Safely) not whizzing past, and always in the inner lane . Whilst the Sheep were braking every other 30 seconds.
Rant over. Maybe I was driving incorrectly. But I think it was safer.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John B i fully agree with you, last Sunday we had to travel up to Newcastle for a funeral, 😧 decided to just sit at 65 mph , solo, got a fantastic 48 mph in the Santa Fe. On the way home to Milton keynes on the Monday afternoon the outer two lanes of the M1 were tail to tail, I stayed most of the time between the inner lane and the 2nd lane, at 65 mph as much as I hate it for safety, I was passing the two outer lanes ( Safely) not whizzing past, and always in the inner lane . Whilst the Sheep were braking every other 30 seconds.
48 mph🤪🤪Road Hog😜😜

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Hutch and Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
John B i fully agree with you, last Sunday we had to travel up to Newcastle for a funeral, 😧 decided to just sit at 65 mph , solo, got a fantastic 48 mph in the Santa Fe. On the way home to Milton keynes on the Monday afternoon the outer two lanes of the M1 were tail to tail, I stayed most of the time between the inner lane and the 2nd lane, at 65 mph as much as I hate it for safety, I was passing the two outer lanes ( Safely) not whizzing past, and always in the inner lane . Whilst the Sheep were braking every other 30 seconds.
Undertaking in certain circumstances is not illegal. As described by you it was okay.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Simply vile vandals nothing more. Why 4x4s . Our Navara returns 40mpg. And is in2wd most of the time. Yes it's big big but... What about all those small car with huge engines. Just idiots imo.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Never mind the damage they are probably doing to the economy as some people will not attend the event for fear of having hassles with tyres being let down.
Isn't it a criminal offence to interfere with a vehicle plus the fact that the vehicle may need to be used in an emergency to transport an ill person to the hospital.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a problem in Edinburgh at the moment, although not as bad as the press would have you believe. Seems to be the work of half informed idiots, as they will let down the tyres on a Suzuki as it is an SUV and ignore the Jaguar saloon parked next to it, even though the Jag is by far the bigger poluter. I think it is a passing fad but what is next is any bodies guess.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
He had to buy a tyre pump😜😜
I thought that BB had been previously to the Fringe festival, but was not going again this year because of tyres being deflated. It is a big concern for any person that is disabled and needs the vehicle to travel to appointments.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dusty you are so right but we had a upgrade a tyre compressor now(y)

We have been to Edinburgh festival roughly 8 years ago but we took my mobility scooter with us to get about.
I wouldn’t call a tyre compressor an upgrade, much prefer a spare wheel, even a space saver. That way you can at least stay mobile whereas the goo + compressor will not work on some punctures.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
And they will all be wearing their designer gear, knocked up in some far eastern sweatshop and sold at extortionate prices....but thats ok in their eyes.....their logic defeats me.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t call a tyre compressor an upgrade, much prefer a spare wheel, even a space saver. That way you can at least stay mobile whereas the goo + compressor will not work on some punctures.
Hi Clive this tyre compressor is the first one we . have had and already use successfully

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts