Ad Blue usage

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I have not as yet pulled my caravan anywhere, I am a newbie caravaner and a newbie diesel vehicle owner, and I have read that towing increases the amount of ad blue used by the tow vehicle quite drastically. Could any of the resident experts here please advise me if that is the case.

And if that is so, do you carry a substantial amount of ad blue when touring.

Thanks

Pete

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
I have not as yet pulled my caravan anywhere, I am a newbie caravaner and a newbie diesel vehicle owner, and I have read that towing increases the amount of ad blue used by the tow vehicle quite drastically. Could any of the resident experts here please advise me if that is the case.

Thanks

Pete

I have a 150TDI Tiguan and when I fill the AdBlue the car will tell me that I have a 9000 mile range for normal driving.

When towing round Europe for periods of 6 weeks and about 4000 miles I just fill the AdBlue before we set off and never have to worry about topping it up as the car tells me it still has at least 3000 miles of AB left when we get home.

I suppose it depends on how you drive but we usually use motorways fairly frequently and I just set cruise to 60 mph which give me the best economy for my needs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why carry quantities of adblue unless you are in remote place’s your car will give sufficient warning to enable you to buy some from a filling station when you refuel.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
It did increase our ad blue use for our previous tow car ( Land Rover discovery sport) but not to the point of having to top up mid journey provided it was recently filled. For example, midlands to mid Scotland and back without filling up. Also as OC says you get lots of warning of depletion of Ad blue, so plenty of time to find a garage to fill up if needed. We never carried any ad blue.
Our current tow car doesn’t use it.
Mel

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Adblue is a pain but I have never had to top up mid trip and I haven't noticed any extra use during towing (2 litre Ateca) and the computer appears to agree with this. It currently says refill Adblue in 6000 miles.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I reckon my car uses 3x the Adblue when towing compared to solo, despite diesel only being 1.5x - this is because the engine is working in a different part of the power band where a lot more NOx is produced - it's the NOx that Adblue neutralises.

I top up every 5,000 miles or so, which gives no issues with running out mid-journey.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Thanks

Pete
I suggest if your concerned about running out of Add Blue whilst touring top up before you set off. You normally get a warning several hundred miles before you run out, an as many service stations carry Add blue in stock you should have plenty of warning and time to top up.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've noticed no increase in adblue usage while towing with a Tiguan since replaced with a Sportage hybrid.
You get a warning around 1000 miles before to top up if the level drops.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our current car is the first car that we have had with the Adblue. Do most cars have a gauge to show the level or do they simply give you adequate warning when it is starting to get low?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Generally a range warning which gives plenty of notice.
When I purchased the vehicle I had no idea that it used Adblue until about a month later when reading the handbook.

In the handbook Adblue is called "Diesel Exhaust Fluid".

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When I purchased the vehicle I had no idea that it used Adblue until about a month later when reading the handbook.

In the handbook Adblue is called "Diesel Exhaust Fluid".
It's known as Adblue in Europe and Australia but as DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) in North America where your Jeep originates - it's also called AUS 32.

Strictly, Adblue is a trade name registered to the German Association of Automobile Industry

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our current car is the first car that we have had with the Adblue. Do most cars have a gauge to show the level or do they simply give you adequate warning when it is starting to get low?
How if any warnings will be down to the specifics of each model of car. What happens in one model may not be the same even in another model from the same manufacturer.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
With a Tiguan you get the range showing on the centre display plus a warning.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last time in my Tiguan i got warning when the remaining range of Adblue was at 1,500 and then i top it up but no increase of adblue when towing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to Wikipedia, the amount of Urea (Addblue) used has to be dosed in accordance with the volume of gasses leaving the engine, so that means the harder you use an engine, for example towing, then you will use more additive to combat NOX emissions.

In reality, as the usage is so low, it's going to be very difficult for a normal driver to accurately determine usage differences with various types of driving. But towing will use more!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Touareg holds 19.5 litres AdBlue.
Typical consumption is around a litre of AdBlue every 600 miles. But it could be as high as a litre every 350 miles when heavily laden or towing. Yes towing will increase consumption.
But 10 litres at Amazon is £18.99 whilst at an Esso garage I saw it at £38.95🤬.
For me even towing my worst additional cost of AdBlue will be less than a tenner a year.
It is noteworthy that the NOx is drastically reduced .
The first warning of low level kicks off at 2000 miles. Best advice is make sure it is topped up at the annual service and fill it up before any long towing holiday.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Went to our local Esso garage to fill up Monday evening, beside every pump were adblue containers, Im assuming free to use, how would they regulate how much you use?
Didnt use it as my Kia doesn't use Adblue,
But sending our lorries in there in the next few days!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Went to our local Esso garage to fill up Monday evening, beside every pump were adblue containers, Im assuming free to use, how would they regulate how much you use?
Didnt use it as my Kia doesn't use Adblue,
But sending our lorries in there in the next few days!!!
Hi Kev that very interesting i have a look and check our Esso petrol station while filling up the car would not mind a feebie adblue

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If you need a fill go to Morrisons. Before the increases it used to be 57p/L, it is now about £1.10 but nonetheless that is much cheaper than £19+ for a 10L container of Redex AdBlue! (That used to be £8.49 before the increases!)
At Morrisons you just plug the pipe onto your inlet and press the button on the cabin/container. It knocks off automatically when full.
Simples?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Where have I been?. Had to look up what Adblue is. Have had diesel engines since about 1980, done many thousands of miles. Do remember when abroad at garages motorist were topping up their fuel with an additive but did not do I myself. Up till today my Skoda has done 115k without problem, but it is serviced each year without comment at these times

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Where have I been?. Had to look up what Adblue is. Have had diesel engines since about 1980, done many thousands of miles. Do remember when abroad at garages motorist were topping up their fuel with an additive but did not do I myself. Up till today my Skoda has done 115k without problem, but it is serviced each year without comment at these times
It was avoiding the use of Adblue to control NOx on most of its 4-cylinder models that got VW Group into trouble with regulators - it's not a cheap system.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
How do you get your hands dirty adding AdBlue? Our Passat has a filler point at the side of the fuel filler. I think some cars had the access through the middle of the spare wheel (or at least where the spare wheel used to be!)
Per Skoda, AdBlue has only become a requirement on Euro6 engines - or since about 2015.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts