Advice for tow car - Newbie

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a caravan - Swift Challenger 590 2019. The MPTLM is just over 1600kg. I am aware if the 85% guidance etc. But I am quite lenient with that to an extent. I need to change my car but I am struggling to find the right car for the job. Here are some of my thoughts so far:

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0Diesel 4WD. DsG
Volvo XC60 2.0 Diesel (16 plate).
Santa Fe 2 litre
Sorrento
VW passat 2 litre.

Does anyone have any experience of a solid car for towing a 1600kg caravan. With a family of 5, I am finding it difficult to find the right car and don't want to dive in and make the wrong investment.

Any help or advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome Stephen, I tow a Coachman 560 VIP, with MTPL 1645kg, I have a 2014 Santa Fe, and have found it perfect, except for one time in Southern France very heavy caravan , possiblly overloaded, very heavy Car, on the Millau viaduct area at 38c, it struggled. But just for the very hilly 200 miles.
But saying that it has performed very well in Switzerland at 2500 meters at 20c. I have the 5 seater as there is so much room under the boot area to stow stuff, but the 7 seater has the self levelling.
Never any problems in the UK with it, summer or winter towing .
Hopefully others will say something about the other cars.

Reactions: Stephenb80
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

As far as I can see all the vehicles you have suggested are technically capable of towing a 1600kg caravan.

The first point I must make concerns your Driving licence. To pull the caravan with any of the cars you mention you will need to have Cat Be or B+E on your licence as the combined MAM's will all exceede 3500kg.

Second, you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that you need to have 4x4 to tow the caravan. This is most definitely not true. 99.9% of the time a simpler 2wd vehicle will be perfectly ok.

May I suggest you consider how you use your car. If you do the majority of your mileage solo, it's far better to go for the car that best suits that usage, and only compromise for shorter time when towing. - Generally it will be more comfortable, cheaper on fuel, servicing and probably road tax. easier manoeuvring in town etc.

This points towards the Passat, but the small fly in the ointment is the towing ratio (Caravan MTPLM/Cars kerbweight x100%) will be more marginal. But that doesn't mean it's no good.

Good towing is about keeping car and caravan in good mechanical condition, sensible loading and good driving habits.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
A good list. Test drive them all have fun and decide which you'd like best as a daily driver a chances are that's what will be the majority mileage ?

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
A good list. Test drive them all have fun and decide which you'd like best as a daily driver a chances are that's what will be the majority mileage ?

Yes I will definitely be doing the majority mileage solo. Would you expect all those (at the right spec) to pull a 1600kg caravan?

Reactions: WayneS
Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

As far as I can see all the vehicles you have suggested are technically capable of towing a 1600kg caravan.

The first point I must make concerns your Driving licence. To pull the caravan with any of the cars you mention you will need to have Cat Be or B+E on your licence as the combined MAM's will all exceede 3500kg.

Second, you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that you need to have 4x4 to tow the caravan. This is most definitely not true. 99.9% of the time a simpler 2wd vehicle will be perfectly ok.

May I suggest you consider how you use your car. If you do the majority of your mileage solo, it's far better to go for the car that best suits that usage, and only compromise for shorter time when towing. - Generally it will be more comfortable, cheaper on fuel, servicing and probably road tax. easier manoeuvring in town etc.

This points towards the Passat, but the small fly in the ointment is the towing ratio (Caravan MTPLM/Cars kerbweight x100%) will be more marginal. But that doesn't mean it's no good.

Good towing is about keeping car and caravan in good mechanical condition, sensible loading and good driving habits.

Thanks for this 👍. Is the Passat (at the right spec) a good tower for a 1600kg caravan? I'm also torn between buying something a little bit older (13/14 plate) or 3 year old.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a caravan - Swift Challenger 590 2019. The MPTLM is just over 1600kg. I am aware if the 85% guidance etc. But I am quite lenient with that to an extent. I need to change my car but I am struggling to find the right car for the job. Here are some of my thoughts so far:

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0Diesel 4WD. DsG
Volvo XC60 2.0 Diesel (16 plate).
Santa Fe 2 litre
Sorrento
VW passat 2 litre.

Does anyone have any experience of a solid car for towing a 1600kg caravan. With a family of 5, I am finding it difficult to find the right car and don't want to dive in and make the wrong investment.

Any help or advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
You could include the Superb estate which has more luggage space than Passat without sacrificing passenger space. I had a 2014 2 litre DSG 4x4 very stable tow car and economic too. A Superb or Passat with roof box will still get under most overhead barriers to car parks, beaches, nature reserves etc.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Look at Towcar.info I’ve found it the best if the matching sites, but it can’t be absolute but does give good indications and allows input adjusting to see the effects. It was quite accurate fir me on an XC70, Suoerb estate and Forester 2.0 non turbo petrol.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Stephen welcome to the forum I tow but my outfit not 1600 kg caravan this is my car
2018 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI 190bhp 4motion SEL DSG 5 Door

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi Mate,
My wife has the xc60 and i have the santa fe, both tow our swift t/a with ease our mptlm is 1800kg .

Both are great cars we love them , i was always a vw guy but decided to give the Hyundia a go, never had this brand before but certainly don't regret it, very nice comfortable motor.

Good luck with your choice.

👍

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi Mate,
My wife has the xc60 and i have the santa fe, both tow our swift t/a with ease our mptlm is 1800kg .

Both are great cars we love them , i was always a vw guy but decided to give the Hyundia a go, never had this brand before but certainly don't regret it, very nice comfortable motor.

Good luck with your choice.

👍

Thanks. What spec car is the XC60? If I'm honest my wife would prefer something like this due to size and practicality. It was only when I looked at one yesterday I realised that every model has a very different towing spec.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Doesn't the Santa Fe come with a 7 year warranty? I have never driven one but have constantly read good reports about them. VW were recently involved in abig scandal about falsifying figures however they are good cars, but would not be my choice as don't like them.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Doesn't the Santa Fe come with a 7 year warranty? I have never driven one but have constantly read good reports about them. VW were recently involved in abig scandal about falsifying figures however they are good cars, but would not be my choice as don't like them.
I love vw but its a bit like paying scene tax , they are good motors but a little overpriced.

My last vw was my camper van but wow , they are so overpriced in that market.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I love vw but its a bit like paying scene tax , they are good motors but a little overpriced.

My last vw was my camper van but wow , they are so overpriced in that market.
That’s because they are now an IN THING. A Peugeot, Fiat or Ford are just as good but they don’t do DUB DUB rallies!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

You have asked this question of several of the cars

... Would you expect all those (at the right spec) to pull a 1600kg caravan?

The simple answer is yes, All the vehicles you have suggested will tow a 1600kg caravan - driven carefully.

Good towing is not just about the weight ratio as I pointed out above, and whilst it may seem intuitive that a heavier tow vehicle will be better than a lighter one it isn't always the case.

For several years the VW Passat and the Skoda Superb ( which mechanically are almost identical) cleaned up on the tow car of the year awards in their sector - and with good reason.

You can get both models in 4wd but as I pointed out above you don't need 4wd to tow. Most caravan sites have decent roads and a normal car is more than adequate regards towing.

Just look across to the continent, the majority of them do not uses 4x4's. It's just become a fad in the UK.

If you are looking for the size of vehicle, then you should also be looking at Ford Galaxy's or Smax, VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra, or even Peugeot/Citroen models.

I won't and can't stop you choosing a 4x4 but I want to make sure you know what the alternatives are. Ultimately the choice has to be yours.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

The simple answer is yes, All the vehicles you have suggested will tow a 1600kg caravan - driven carefully.

Good towing is not just about the weight ratio as I pointed out above, and whilst it may seem intuitive that a heavier tow vehicle will be better than a lighter one it isn't always the case.

For several years the VW Passat and the Skoda Superb ( which mechanically are almost identical) cleaned up on the tow car of the year awards in their sector - and with good reason.

You can get both models in 4wd but as I pointed out above you don't need 4wd to tow. Most caravan sites have decent roads and a normal car is more than adequate regards towing.

Just look across to the continent, the majority of them do not uses 4x4's. It's just become a fad in the UK.

If you are looking for the size of vehicle, then you should also be looking at Ford Galaxy's or Smax, VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra, or even Peugeot/Citroen models.

I won't and can't stop you choosing a 4x4 but I want to make sure you know what the alternatives are. Ultimately the choice has to be yours.
Good points Prof. I’ve only ever been stuck on a wet muddy site three times. Each was with a 4WD vehicle. But I wasn’t alone in having exit problems.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Having had three Passat estates and towed three different caravans (albeit a tad lighter than the OPs) I could not recommend the Passat enough, plus it is a good solo motor as well. Having said that the 2L 150bhp TDi is only 1525Kg (but rated to tow 1800Kg) so there could be a slight balance issue.
The other vehicle to consider is a Tiguan. Essentially the same as a Passat underneath but with a 2000Kg tow limit and slightly heavier to start with. That weight difference will of course affect the mpg slightly.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

Ok. Thank you for this great advice. I will keep all options on the table. Sometimes I find myself overwhelmed with options!

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
We were the same when we looked, it just happened to be the awd model that came up local for sale in the r design spec

As others have stated it really isn't required .

Good luck and happy hunting.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Having had three Passat estates and towed three different caravans (albeit a tad lighter than the OPs) I could not recommend the Passat enough, plus it is a good solo motor as well. Having said that the 2L 150bhp TDi is only 1525Kg (but rated to tow 1800Kg) so there could be a slight balance issue.
The other vehicle to consider is a Tiguan. Essentially the same as a Passat underneath but with a 2000Kg tow limit and slightly heavier to start with. That weight difference will of course affect the mpg slightly.
I think you will find my car Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 can tow more than 2000Kg When i look it up it was 2200Kg Max Towing weight braked

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'd certainly look at the Skoda superb estate-the 4x4 has a great tow capacity and is a VW in drag and seems to get better customer satisfaction ratings. Seen a kodiaq towing a 2000kg caravan too -must have been the top spec 4x4 and diesel so if you like VW products don't miss them BUT of course Hyundais come with a 5 year warranty Kias 7 and Toyota now 10 if one of them suit eg Rav 4-no idea re its tow capacity though.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Ok. Thank you for this great advice. I will keep all options on the table. Sometimes I find myself overwhelmed with options!
ProfJohnL's other piece of advice is VITAL not to be overlooked. Make sure your licence is legal to tow the rig that you have. 1) When did you pass your driving test (pre or post 1997) 1) If post, have you done a separate B+E test?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts