Advice for tow car - Newbie

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Stephen

The VW Passat is a very, very good car which I would recommend without hesitation if your caravan was a bit lighter. But the MTPLM of your caravan at "just over 1600kg" is getting on for 100kg more than the kerb weight of the car, which goes against the industry advice with which you are familiar. Personally I think you'll just be pushing the limits that bit too much for comfort, particularly given that you're new to towing.

The Skoda Kodiaq (and the mechanically identical VW Tiguan) use the same engines as the Passat but are that bit heavier. One of those would be my choice I think. If buying used, a full service history is essential but if it has that, there should be no need to worry about high mileage.

I'm not familiar with the Volvo XC60, but I believe that Volvo fit (or did until fairly recently) a mix of 4 and 5-cylinder diesel engines into many of their cars. The 5-cylinder engines are made by Volvo themselves and are fine, but the 4-cylinder ones are Peugeot-sourced and are notoriously prone to turbo failure.

The Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorrento are mechanically very similar, and both are bigger and heavier. Which is good for towing your caravan, but also means higher running costs on the (probably many) days that you don't tow with them.

I took part in a reader test event of the latest Santa Fe for PC magazine a couple of years ago (there used to be a link to the article on this website but not sure it still exists). Put simply, everyone there seemed to like it except me.

As Prof says, large MPVs such as Ford S-max, Ford Galaxy or VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra (again mechanically identical) are also suitable alternatives.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen

The VW Passat is a very, very good car which I would recommend without hesitation if your caravan was a bit lighter. But the MTPLM of your caravan at "just over 1600kg" is getting on for 100kg more than the kerb weight of the car.

It depends on the model you're considering.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There have been Kuga owners giving feedback on the Forum, but from memory I cannot recall the caravan weights, but they were very positive about their cars. But the Kuga has been around now for a long while and just asking about Kuga in general isn't particularly helpful as you give no idea of the year, model etc. But all I can say is the 2 litre Ford diesel will pull the weight okay, but without knowing your specific model of interest how do I know the cars other characteristics. You have such wide range of cars of interest wouldn't I be better to sit down and try and narrow your choice down bit in relation to model, year and budget.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
There have been Kuga owners giving feedback on the Forum, but from memory I cannot recall the caravan weights, but they were very positive about their cars. But the Kuga has been around now for a long while and just asking about Kuga in general isn't particularly helpful as you give no idea of the year, model etc. But all I can say is the 2 litre Ford diesel will pull the weight okay, but without knowing your specific model of interest how do I know the cars other characteristics. You have such wide range of cars of interest wouldn't I be better to sit down and try and narrow your choice down bit. You've given no idea of budget.
Appreciate this. Being new to the caravan community, I'm jst looking for ideas. I was hoping people would suggest specs and models that they had used and share their experiences. I will narrow my choices down Clive, and receiving feedback will help me to do this. But thanks for your input.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Stephen,

Again you have asked if a particular car will pull the 1600kg caravan. If the manufacturer states it will pull 1600kg or more then yes it will pull that size of trailer.

I do not normally suggest using matching websites which take the details of both the car and caravan and try to present a matching/towability advice, but In this case I believe it might give you a quicker and more balanced response to enable you to make better informed decisions.

You do need to be aware that most of these services utilise databases about the vehicles, and some have been found to have errors in the data they hold.

It's also important for you to know exactly which models of car and caravan you are looking at. Whilst it might seem irrelevant but year of manufacture, body style (e.g. Saloon vs Estate vs hatch etc ) of the same basic model can sometimes affect the maximum permitted tow weights, and obviously engine size, fuel and power outputs. - - So you have to ensure the details of the models you put into the websites are exact matches for the ones you are interested in.

Otherclive usually recommends one particular site, I'm sure he'll add the name in a while.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello again Stephen,

Again you have asked if a particular car will pull the 1600kg caravan. If the manufacturer states it will pull 1600kg or more then yes it will pull that size of trailer.

I do not normally suggest using matching websites which take the details of both the car and caravan and try to present a matching/towability advice, but In this case I believe it might give you a quicker and more balanced response to enable you to make better informed decisions.

You do need to be aware that most of these services utilise databases about the vehicles, and some have been found to have errors in the data they hold.

It's also important for you to know exactly which models of car and caravan you are looking at. Whilst it might seem irrelevant but year of manufacture, body style (e.g. Saloon vs Estate vs hatch etc ) of the same basic model can sometimes affect the maximum permitted tow weights, and obviously engine size, fuel and power outputs. - - So you have to ensure the details of the models you put into the websites are exact matches for the ones you are interested in.

Otherclive usually recommends one particular site, I'm sure he'll add the name in a while.
See my post #9 re “ Towcar.info”. Certainly the Profs advise re the car is sound, but with that site you can insert a generic van weight and nose load, and vary payload. But the OP should be aware that a car makers specified towing load doesn’t necessarily make it a good towcar, as caravans dont behave as say an equivalent weight car trailer. They are susceptible to cross winds, road perturbations, heavy vehicle pressure waves, and even very fast moving vehicles. The loading of the caravan will affect its stability so a badly loaded caravan can be less stable than a well loaded equivalent. And of course instability onset is speed dependant which is a driver induced variable.

I had a petrol non turbo car 150 bhp rated to tow 2000 kg. Stability wise it was absolutely fine but it required too many revs when towing 1300 kg for my liking. So good torque makes fir a better towing experience. My current car is the turbo version of the other. Chalk and cheese, as it hardly raises its revs even when towing as it’s turbo sends in lots more torque at low revs.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Appreciate this. Being new to the caravan community, I'm jst looking for ideas. I was hoping people would suggest specs and models that they had used and share their experiences. I will narrow my choices down Clive, and receiving feedback will help me to do this. But thanks for your input.
Hi Stephen
There is a wealth of experience on this forum, but in order to be able to offer any meaningful advice, forum members need a bit more information from you.
A simple Google search will give the maximum towing capability of most vehicles, so you need to be more specific if you require real world vehicle appraisal and advice.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi Stephen
There is a wealth of experience on this forum, but in order to be able to offer any meaningful advice, forum members need a bit more information from you.
A simple Google search will give the maximum towing capability of most vehicles, so you need to be more specific if you require real world vehicle appraisal and advice.
To be honest, I was badly advised upon purchase of my van. I was told my car would tow the van (see post #1 re van model). So therefore I have come to the forum to gather expert advice so I am learning a lot as I go. I've done some research but with regards engine spec and performance etc, when I hang a question out I.e. like I did with the Kuga, then I presumed experts and experienced would say 'oh yes I've got a 2 litre 14....' etc. That's all I was looking for. Some opinions from the community and their models and spec with what they pull. I apologise if that's been misunderstood. With regards the other variables, I am aware of all these and of course will factor these in. I know that a Google search or handbook will tell me the weight it tows and there is a lot more to it than that figure e.g. consideration of the 85% rule and the kerbweivht etc, loading correctly, speed. I was literally just getting some thoughts from those who have had the experience of doing these things and using cars of this type. That said, I am very grateful for all the advice you have offered me so far.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What is your present car? Knowing this might give us a bit more of teh background to your disappointment or expectations.

Also teh 85% isn't an never was a rule - it's only ever been advisory.

Reactions: Stephenb80

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A good starting point for you might be the Towcar Reviews which are mainly compiled by Practical Caravan towcar editor David Motton.
These reviews might help you to narrow down your choices, and then forum members who use a specific towing vehicle can provide you with summaries of their own experiences when using the vehicles with their caravans.
This forum is a great resource, but the website also carries a lot of information and advice for new caravanners.
Good luck in your search.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
A good starting point for you might be the Towcar Reviews which are mainly compiled by Practical Caravan towcar editor David Motton.
These reviews might help you to narrow down your choices, and then forum members who use a specific towing vehicle can provide you with summaries of their own experiences when using the vehicles with their caravans.
This forum is a great resource, but the website also carries a lot of information and advice for new caravanners.
Yes ok thank you for this. I have test driven a Kodiaq two days ago. 2L Diesel 4x4, DSG 190bhp (19 plate). Should I be too concerned about the noseweight limit of 80kg? Or does it just mean to think carefully when loading?

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
What is your present car? Knowing this might give us a bit more of teh background to your disappointment or expectations.

Also teh 85% isn't an never was a rule - it's only ever been advisory.
Kia Carens 1.7TDCI 14 plate is my current car. The reason we bought it was for its practicality. I have three young children (all under 5) and as the Carens has three full size seats in the middle row it makes it easy for childseats etc. Tbh a lot of what I am seeing to tow have the standard middle row which means we are pushing it to fit 2 baby seats and a booster in as the middle seat is always smaller. Therefore I am considering part-ex on our second car which is a Kia Ceed. So we can keep the day to day practicality of the Carens and adjust for when we go with the tourer. I would part ex the Ceed if I felt I could get something quite economical and ok to run around daily. I think realistically I am looking in the used market for something 4 year old ish. The upper end of my budget would be around the 22/23k mark.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the model you're considering.

True Prof, but I had assumed that we were talking about the FWD versions of the Passat as discussed in earlier posts on this thread. I should probably have clarified. There are heavier 4x4 versions of the Passat and Skoda Superb, but these are rare and expensive. Most people who want 4x4 tend to choose it in an SUV.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Kia Carens 1.7TDCI 14 plate is my current car. The reason we bought it was for its practicality. I have three young children (all under 5) and as the Carens has three full size seats in the middle row it makes it easy for childseats etc. Tbh a lot of what I am seeing to tow have the standard middle row which means we are pushing it to fit 2 baby seats and a booster in as the middle seat is always smaller. Therefore I am considering part-ex on our second car which is a Kia Ceed. So we can keep the day to day practicality of the Carens and adjust for when we go with the tourer. I would part ex the Ceed if I felt I could get something quite economical and ok to run around daily. I think realistically I am looking in the used market for something 4 year old ish. The upper end of my budget would be around the 22/23k mark.
To seat three youngsters in their safety seats is going to require a larger car, and if it is to be your daily drive while the Carens does the local runs it requires to be economical.
Cars that spring to mind would be E class estate, A6 estate, Passat or Volvo V80,XC 90 series. But you need to look at them for passenger size and towing capacity. Entering into SUV territory there are soft roaders that have lots of space. Sorento, Santa Fe etc and give reasonable economy solo or towing. Full on off road capable cars are Discovery, Range Rover, Shogun etc. These are less economical solo and bring higher maintenance costs given the additional complexity of the 4wd systems.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
HI Just thought i would give you my dealings with our motors, wife has a 2016 xc60 awd r design d4 and i have a 2014 santa fe awd , both serve us well with our grandkid and 2 spaniels , room wise both are good santa fe the biggest.

Both get used as daily drivers and give reasonable mpg, towing we get around the 32mpg with our swift t/a caravan.

Both have been good reliable motors and yes service wise parts are a tadd more expensive but not out the box.

Both past mot this week with flying colours.

You will have plenty room in either of these and both will serve your needs well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for explaining a bit more about your situation and your present car.
The need for three (proper seats) in the rear is clearly a major factor, and as others have said it does point more towards larger vehicles. Again I would suggest you do look at the MPV's like the Galaxy etc. as these do have three proper seats and two more behind with ISO fix and you should find they provide more than ample space for a growing family. or luggage when on holiday.

Just a couple of points regarding your present Kia. according to this web site:-
I don't know how accurate these figures are, but they do seem reasonable, and it has set alarm bells ringing.

The stated Maximum Authorise Mass (MAM) for the Kia is 2110kg. You tell us your caravan has an "MPTLM (this is the MAM for the caravan) is just over 1600kg ". For the purpose of the driving licence entitlement "B" the wording is a Combined MAM not exceeding 3500kg. Using your figures your outfit has a combined mass of "just over 3710kg" On the basis of your comments I understand you only have entitlement B which means if you actually drove this outfit, you did so without having a valid licence.

Legally it is up to the driver to ensure they have the correct licence for any vehicle they drive, and you were remiss in not checking yourself, but I am appalled you were " told my car would tow the van ". The figures were easily accessible from the plates of both vehicles, and whoever offered the advice, should at least have alerted you to the fact you should have BE on their licence. If it was the dealer that told you then they have carelessly abused the position of trust of being expert in the field.

Secondly I will assume the Kia follow the common practice of setting the maximum towed weight limit based on the the cars GTW-GVW. The above website reports the limit is only 1500kg which would give the GTW a value of3610kg. As above, combining the weight plates show it has the outfit could have had a total weight of upto 3710, and that is 100kg above the vehicles stated limit. Unlike the Licence entitlement which uses the MAM figures, actuall overloading prosecutions can only be processed on the basis of measured weight, and if the caravan was empty of any personal items or luggage, it probably would have been within the cars GTW.

I do feel annoyed the dealer did not alert you to these issues.

You are correct the Kia is not suitable to tow this caravan legally, let alone trying to comply with the industry guidance.

With regards to comments about the B+E test possibly being shelved, don't hold your breath. Assume its not going to be dropped and continue with the training course and the test. If nothing else the training will cover several aspects of tow which will prove useful. If by some chance the law is changed before you take the test, then I'd strongly suggest to look up the availability of caravan towing courses offered by the caravanning clubs.

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
As it seems to be a used model you are looking for, let me throw another vehicle into the mix that you dont seem to have considered but its a vehicle I towed many miles with prior to my conversion to Shoguns. As you mention the Volvo XC60, Ill chuck in the XC70. Low mileage models of these can be picked up very reasonably. Its 4 x 4 through a haldex coupling, with the D5 2.4 engine it will pull all day. Extremely safe, very comfortable, and excellent level of kit and extremely well mannered with a large caravan on the back. It carries a load and a half too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts