Advice for tow car - Newbie

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As it seems to be a used model you are looking for, let me throw another vehicle into the mix that you dont seem to have considered but its a vehicle I towed many miles with prior to my conversion to Shoguns. As you mention the Volvo XC60, Ill chuck in the XC70. Low mileage models of these can be picked up very reasonably. Its 4 x 4 through a haldex coupling, with the D5 2.4 engine it will pull all day. Extremely safe, very comfortable, and excellent level of kit and extremely well mannered with a large caravan on the back. It carries a load and a half too.
I’d second the XC70 I had the 2010 model. A nice car to drive. Minor criticisms are stupid position of electrical handbrake switch, very limited rear leg room if you have tall driver and/or passenger, boot okay but not the best I’ve had by a long chalk. Quite low in vertical height through the rear load door.

Reactions: Stephenb80
Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
I’d second the XC70 I had the 2010 model. A nice car to drive. Minor criticisms are stupid position of electrical handbrake switch, very limited rear leg room if you have tall driver and/or passenger, boot okay but not the best I’ve had by a long chalk. Quite low in vertical height through the rear load door.
Yes this is a viable option as I am looking at used. Would anyone be concerned about some models if the XC70 having 100k plus on the clock (8-10 year old)? I suppose as long as it has full service history it should be ok?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes this is a viable option as I am looking at used. Would anyone be concerned about some models if the XC70 having 100k plus on the clock (8-10 year old)? I suppose as long as it has full service history it should be ok?
The Generation 3 XC70 benefitted from a lot of development by Ford. The 2.4 litre D5 engine is virtually bomb proof and the car was very well built. We sold ours after four years as we gave up caravanning and our long standing Volvo dealership a family business was dropped as a franchise as Volvo wanted glitzy showrooms.
The cars age well and are generally well looked after. A full service history is essential. As well as having non scheduled items maintained too such as brake fluid changes, Haldex fluid changes. At high mileage 100k or 10 years cam belt replacement and ancillary belts too is a must. Although it’s a filled for life Aisin auto at that age or mileage I would be having the auto fluid changed.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
The Generation 3 XC70 benefitted from a lot of development by Ford. The 2.4 litre D5 engine is virtually bomb proof and the car was very well built. We sold ours after four years as we gave up caravanning and our long standing Volvo dealership a family business was dropped as a franchise as Volvo wanted glitzy showrooms.
The cars age well and are generally well looked after. A full service history is essential. As well as having non scheduled items maintained too such as brake fluid changes, Haldex fluid changes. At high mileage 100k or 10 years cam belt replacement and ancillary belts too is a must. Although it’s a filled for life Aisin auto at that age or mileage I would be having the auto fluid changed.
The other car I have been looking at from a family viewpoint (changing the kia carens) is a 2015 Ford Galaxy 2l automatic 180bhp. Anyone have any experience of towing with these? These have the three full middle seats I would need too. Mileage is 70k on the particular one I've seen.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Remember there are two aspects to fitting three across the rear seats - one is the shape of the seats but the other is the overall interior width - some cars have mouldings for three bottoms but are quite narrow overall, others can be wide but with only two sculpted seats - take a tape measure with you and don't just go on visual appeal.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Fairly high mileage on a Volvo wouldnt worry me too much, with a full service history at least. Its not necesaarily the 100k miles but how hard those miles have been. Look for heavy wear around the rest of a car to see how much care its been given by its previous owner. I once went to see a 10mth old XC90 with 12k on the clock. It looked as if it had been owned by the Taliban.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their advice. We have decided that a Ford S-Max would be best for us as a family. I am currently in discussions with a seller about buying a 14 plate 2.0TDCi Titanium with 163bhp. My concern is with the bhp... does anyone think I need something with a bit more? I noticed the post 15 model has higher range of bhp.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their advice. We have decided that a Ford S-Max would be best for us as a family. I am currently in discussions with a seller about buying a 14 plate 2.0TDCi Titanium with 163bhp. My concern is with the bhp... does anyone think I need something with a bit more? I noticed the post 15 model has higher range of bhp.
The S max with 163 bhp will be fine, with a diesel it is the torque that is more important for towing, and I would think that will be satisfactory.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No you have adequate Bhp at 163 bhp. My generation 1 Sorento had 138 bhp and had a towing specification of 3500 kg. My Disco 2 was similar. They would fully be loaded and tow 1500 kg up some almighty inclines going to southern France in hot weather.

Its torque combined with gear ratios that count.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Further to your query wrt power I had a Mk1 Mondeo estate with a 2 litre 134 bhp petrol engine. I then had a Mk2 Mondeo estate with a 1.8 litre 89 bhp TDDI diesel. Both engines had identical torque figures. The petrols max torque was at 4000 rpm, the diesel at 2250 rpm. Which was the better tow car? No contest it was the diesel towing a slightly heavier caravan too.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Further to your query wrt power I had a Mk1 Mondeo estate with a 2 litre 134 bhp petrol engine. I then had a Mk2 Mondeo estate with a 1.8 litre 89 bhp TDDI diesel. Both engines had identical torque figures. The petrols max torque was at 4000 rpm, the diesel at 2250 rpm. Which was the better tow car? No contest it was the diesel towing a slightly heavier caravan too.
Thanks. I have been focusing on bhp a bit too much I think when looking. It certainly opens up my options a bit. What sort of figures am I looking at for good torque?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen

Paper specifications are only part of what makes a good outfit. A Ford S-Max 2.0TDCi Titanium with 163bhp. should have more than enough pulling power.

I have no idea what the torque specification for the S-Max is, but I have seem plenty towing and apparently managing perfectly well.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I have been focusing on bhp a bit too much I think when looking. It certainly opens up my options a bit. What sort of figures am I looking at for good torque?
That’s not an easy one given the range of cars you initially favoured. But I would say that any modern 2 litre turbo diesel would be sufficient for your role providing the cars specification covers your caravan weight. Try the Galaxy in Towcar.info and see what the result shows.

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
That’s not an easy one given the range of cars you initially favoured. But I would say that any modern 2 litre turbo diesel would be sufficient for your role providing the cars specification covers your caravan weight. Try the Galaxy in Towcar.info and see what the result shows.
I put it in towcar and it wasn't bad. It did say with 200k in car and van it was a little heavy. Performance rating was 4, weight was 2 star (I know this fluctuates with weight adjustments) with 0-60 in 20 secs and Hill starts on any incline up to 19%. It was a match. Some of the others (more modern on original list) I looked at had better matches. But I feel like I may have to give a little bit for financial reasons and for the purpose of it being an everyday car. If it does a job and a decent one at that then I'll be happy.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Another XC60 driver here. D4 AWD Auto (2.4 diesel 5Cyl 181BHP) It tows my <1500kg van with ease.

As others have said, no major issues, just get your ATF changed and Haldex (if AWD) fluid changed. (Volvo won't do it, but c.70k interval if towing or more often if doing big miles).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts