advice needed

Nov 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary, so long as it is a match on 'outfit matcher' I think you should be fine with the Mondeo, I towed a 1150kg van with a 1.8 petrol Vectra for 3 years, On paper the two are simlar in BHP, kerb weight& max tow limits. I had douts about the Vectra at first, but the 1.8 engine towed the fully loaded van, 2 adults & 2 kids & all the clobber they have very well. The only thing is you might not get into 5th gear very often.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gary,

There are several sites that offer matching advice, but you have to use them very carefully.

Basically either they do not carry the specific information for your exact model of car or caravan, or the information they do may be inaccurate.

If they do not have your exact model of car/caravan in their lists do not be tempted to use what might seem a similar model, as each make and model has its own specification, and similar models may actually be quite different.

Either way, its is not difficult to do the actual calculations once you have the required information. - you certainly do not need to pay a web site to work it out for you.

Legally the driver is responsible for the roadworthyness of their car/caravan, If the outfit is matched incorrectly saying you relied on a web site to work it out will not be a defence.

, and you have know way of knowing which is

, because several sites are known to have ommisions in th

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gary!

I was going to buy the 1.8 mondeo as it ticked al the right boxes for towing my van.However,I sought advice from the mondeo enthusiasts club and they advised me that I would be better off with the 2.0ltr.Although the 1.8 would cope,the 2.0ltre would perform better both in towing performance and fuel wise.

Nov 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary,

I thought you aready had the Mondeo. If you are looking to buy a tow car I would get a bigger engine Mondeo, I tow the same 1150kg van as i did with Vectra but now have a 2lt auto estate & it tows a dream, But having said that my next car will be a diesel engine as the mpg is low when towing with petrol.

Cheers Stean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts