Advice on Cadac please

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I got around to using my carri chef barbecue last night in the safety of my back garden. I was pleased with the speedy results and the taste of the food. However, is it necessary to use the deflector plate? I used it, but wondered if it was necessary. My big request though is regarding cleaning. I thought cleaning the grill plate and the deflector was a messy business and had I tried that in the veg prep area I would be run off site! So, do you clean your Cadac after every use and what tips do you have for cleaning it. I should be very grateful for all replies as along with water carrying and waste disposal this will certainly be my exclusive chore. Best wishes, Butler

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Butler

I clean our Cadac after use while it is still hot, I use paper tissue and just keep wiping till its clean. In the event that I forget or the plate is covered in burnt offerings Lidl W5 degreaser spray comes to the rescue, spray it on leave to work and rinse off.

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Butler. We have had a carri chef for a few years now and think its great. But I do recall when we first got it a lable on the none stick plate said NOT TO BE USED WITH OUT THE DEFLETOR PLATE. Our son has an older modle with out the deflector plate and the flame has burnt the none stick surface off the under side and left a stange white circle on it so now he can't use it to cook on that side.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong as well. Tissues would be ripped to shreds on the burnt carbon thats left on mine after a bbq. Even a sponge/brillo thingy isn't strong enough.

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong as well. Tissues would be ripped to shreds on the burnt carbon thats left on mine after a bbq. Even a sponge/brillo thingy isn't strong enough.
Hi, we've just used our Cadac in the safety of our garden before we take it away on the caravan with us. We were really pleased with the cooking results, but I found the cleaning a nightmare. I used really hot soapy water and a sponge scourer and the bits of stuck on food were nearly impossible to remove.

After reading all the reveiws for the Cadac, no one mentioned this, and what people did say was how easy it is to clean. We use CLs with no washing facilities and there is no way I would want to spend an hour cleaning the Cadac in the caravan, this would be impossible.

Am I being too fussy? My idea of clean is getting rid of all the grease marks and all of the stuck on food, basically as clean as before we used it.

Does anyone else feel the same way as us?

Thank you

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Used our cadac for the first time last week and yes itwas a pig to clean. After cleaning it all off i gave it a light coating of oil and also oiled the meat before placing on the grill plate result wiped off after cooking with no prob. Think you should use the deflector plate as the heat will not be concentrated on one area

May 7, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure I read somewhere that you are supposed to put a drop of water in the fat collecting tray part of the Cadac, that way the fat does not solidfy and is easy to wash out. Don't know if this is correct or not, as we haven't used ours yet, bought it late last year and hoping to use it in a couple of weeks time when we are away in Dorset.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
been useing mine for years dont use deflector plate spray a light coat of one cal oil spray on plate ,clean when still warm use lidl w5 degreaser in orange bottle.

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
There seems to be some mixed messages given by Cadac re use of the deflector. When I rang them last year they said that the deflector should be used with the reversible griddle as it stops the non stick surface coming off.

I suppose there's no harm in using it anyway as you get a better spread of heat than without.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I bought us a Cadac jus a few months ago and I find it messy to clean. If on site there's a big sink in the amenities block, washing up liquid and a soft dish brush it's brilliant but if there's no large sink available I'm stuck. Think I'll have to buy that Lidl w5 degreaser for those times.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Momo,

The deflector plate spreads the flame / heat evenly under the area of the cooking dish / pan giving all over distribution so you don't get a hot spot in the centre.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We use the skottel a great deal and find the cadac liner utterly superb, cleaning is a doddle.

As far as I know, putting watter in the fat collector is to stop your food from drying up rather than help with cleaning, but I maybe wrong on that one.

The cadac cleaner spray is brilliant, best thing i have found to clean the cadac. I dont use the deflector with either pan or skottel.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I agree with Thingy, a brilliant piece of kit and I wouldn't be without ours. Though I've never used a liner or the cleaner spray. We wash ours outside with a washing up bowl and it's all part of the holiday for us.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I to have your prob, there is residue left on the plate from cooking food, I have found that wash up liquid with hot water though tackles the job and gets it off, I also use a sturdy plastic dish brush to brush off the stubborn bits which it does do great.
I have just bought a bottle of that W5 Degreaser liquid from Lidl that Ive seen hear they speak of for it though haven't got round to trying that yet.
Ive also found that just going on the grass with a kettle of hot water and the things Ive said I use is the easiest place to clean it, better than having to carry it all to the utilities on site.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Momo said:
Ive also found that just going on the grass with a kettle of hot water and the things Ive said I use is the easiest place to clean it,

..... and leave a grease patch for the next pitch user sit in, uuugh. :evil: :whistle:

Edit - and destroy the grass

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Momo said:
I to have your prob, there is residue left on the plate from cooking food, I have found that wash up liquid with hot water though tackles the job and gets it off, I also use a sturdy plastic dish brush to brush off the stubborn bits which it does do great.
I have just bought a bottle of that W5 Degreaser liquid from Lidl that Ive seen hear they speak of for it though haven't got round to trying that yet.
Ive also found that just going on the grass with a kettle of hot water and the things Ive said I use is the easiest place to clean it, better than having to carry it all to the utilities on site.
Are you seriously destroying site grass?
Please let me know where you are going over the next twelve months so I can avoid your reign of destruction.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I think your cheeky in what uve said to me..I have prolapsed discs in my lower spine I find the Cadac heavy to carry, I do NOT destroy a blade of grass at all the wash up liquid is wiped of and the water is tepid so I'm really watering the grass..ok

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I didn't explain why I've said about my back pain..it means I cannot carry it to kitchen in amenities block if available on site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts