Advice on what caravan to look at

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm looking into buying a 5 or 6 berth caravan. I would like our bed at the front and end diner at the other end with 2 singles or bunks that can be closed off. We have 2 kids aged 6 & 3 and would like to put them to bed and not disturb them while watching TV, having a drink etc. I'd like the front to be 2 singles as well as turn into a double if poss so my mum could come instead of hubby.
I was looking at one with the door near the front so I didn't have to walk past the kids to go out but read on another thread that it can make the living area quite cold.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
First off, great tow car!

A lot to do with family layouts will depend upon the price and age bracket you are looking at because the family layouts have changed over the last 10 years quite a lot. I would also think carefully about how long you are likely to keep the van as access to fixed bunks and the ability to sit and read etc can be difficult for children over about 5 foot.

Are you looking at single or twin axle layouts as well?

If you could give the exact makes and models you've looked at so far that would help.

Above all else when looking at a used van, damp free, condition and service history are more important than age.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Good advice Martin!

Although not needing a family 'van, we spent alot of time looking at layouts and deciding what suited us.
We set a budget and went for as new as possible up to the amount available. Although some may not agree, I will recommend buying from a dealer so you get a warranty (full 12 months on ours with a full service before delivery) for peace of mind and we had a full handover so everything was explained at delivery.

I agree with Martin that looking ahead will be beneficial so you don't find yourself having to think about changing the 'van because the kids have grown.

If you can, go to the NEC show 1) for a good day out and, 2) to have a look at different layouts. You can get a good idea of how it will or won't work, the pros and cons and get some advice too.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not think the layout described exists but the nearest I know of is on the Coachman Pastiche 570 and Adria Eden. This gives a dining area at the back which can be converted into a double bed with bunk over. It does work as we have had two caravans with this layout.

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
http://northamfarm.co.uk/sales/bailley/senator/senator_carolina_spec.html
This is the layout that I like if the front seating turns into a double. Gives the kids and area where they can go to bed and not be disturbed. The back end doesn't have to be a dining area but thought i'd seen something like it.
I was thinking with a 5/6 berth then the kids can have 2 singles instead of bunks as they get older.
Towing weight isn't an issue as hubby uses his van for towing a trailer with farm machinery on so the local caravan dealer had suggested twin axle to get the extra room.
I can't remember which vans I looked at when I went to the dealer as it was last summer.
Budget isn't really an issue, my mum has been left some money by my Grandma and is buying it. I wasn't sure if new or used would be better.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
You're absolutely right about weight and the D-Max. Our van is at 1800kgs and the boot is always full and it's one of the best and most stable tow cars we have owned.

A good well looked after and above all dry used van is likely to be as good a buy as a new one. Yes a longer warranty but you are quite likely, just look around the forum, to need that warranty.

Twin axle twin lounge six berth may well be ideal for you (assuming storage space is not an issue). Not sure how many are on the new market but certainly Coachman made them until quite recently in the Amara and Laser ranges.

Our layout with the Turin only really works as now we all go to bed at much the same time. We get the fixed double at the rear, the girls have a front and side bunk each. This would probably not work for you as you will be putting the children to bed before you are ready to go to bed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of caravans with two singles at the back and the potential for a double at the front although if you want two singles there you are getting into the area of very long caravans. These do as far as I can remember all have a rear toilet though.
There are a few where the bed at one side like the Paloma featured in the reviews can have one bed that turns into a small dinette which might appeal to you and others where there are two bunks to one side and a table that converts to a bed at the other with a centre toilet at one side.
A lot depends on what you feel suits you. A rear toilet will be far larger than a centre one to one side which may appeal to you. Using a rear toilet does however mean passing through the children's area so you will have to decide if you want to risk waking them. If you want to shower the children in the caravan a larger shower may be needed which will normally mean a rear toilet but for us if you are wanting more than two showers in a morning the site facilities are probably easier.
As for buying new or second hand then this depends on how you look at it. New caravans will get a longer guarantee than older ones but generally any faults will have been ironed out on second hand ones. It is basically like buying a car as far as that goes.
There is not a lot to choose between makes and basically I would go for whatever you feel suits you best. Like cars most makers have basic through to luxury ranges and it depends on what level you want to go for and is a personal choice. Most people do start with a cheaper second hand one though to see how it goes and then trade up if they like it enough.
If your husband tows farm trailers though he might need to have the electrics updated for the caravan which if he has a 13 pin plug will need additional wires for the fridge and to charge the battery. You will find information on this on the Caravan Club web site and several others. Try https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/technical-advice/12-volt-wiring/

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kaznamy, welcome to the forum :)
If your budget allows for the purchase of a new caravan it might be a good idea to visit the Camping, Caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC in February.
Before you go make a list of the 'must haves' that are essential, taking into account the ages, height and weight of children for sleeping arrangements, washing and toilet arrangements, kitchen appliances and worktop space along with the position of 230v sockets, tv aerial points and overall comfort.
At the NEC you will be able to make valid comparisons between different makes and models, taking into account the overall price, any discount that you are able to negotiate, distance to the supplying dealership from your home because you need to keep to the servicing schedule for warranty purposes and any extras, such as awnings, tv's etc as part of the package.
Caravan forums contain numerous complaints about the build quality of brand new caravans and their faults, but don't let the complaints put you off buying new.
The majority of new caravan buyers never post complaints on forums because they are happy with their purchase and we never hear from them, Ask the supplying dealer about after sales service, particularly with warranty issues, and there is lots of help and advice available on this forum before you buy and when you finally own your caravan.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Kazanamy , welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of the caravan!
If I might make a suggestion re your planned purchase; I accept that buying from a dealer will give you a better warranty (for what some of them are worth!), but I always advise newbies to look out for a used van from people who are retiring from caravanning, due to age or health reasons.The reason I do this is because kitting out a new purchase can be horrendously expensive, as you will probably need to buy literally everything new.
If you buy privately you are more likely to get all the extra kit included.
This can save thousands of pounds, especially if you need an awning as well.
Whatever you decide, I'm pretty sure that you'll enjoy it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
emmerson said:
Hi Kazanamy , welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of the caravan!
If I might make a suggestion re your planned purchase; I accept that buying from a dealer will give you a better warranty (for what some of them are worth!), but I always advise newbies to look out for a used van from people who are retiring from caravanning, due to age or health reasons.The reason I do this is because kitting out a new purchase can be horrendously expensive, as you will probably need to buy literally everything new.
If you buy privately you are more likely to get all the extra kit included.
This can save thousands of pounds, especially if you need an awning as well.
Whatever you decide, I'm pretty sure that you'll enjoy it!

And there is the advantage that if you decide it's not for you then you will lose less money when trying to sell it.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Elddis Crusader super storm would fit the bill. We had the Avante 630 which is a lighter, more basic version but the same layout. We have slept up to nine people in it a couple of times, cosy but doable.
Buccaneer do a similar layout, nice vans, a bit heavy as they are well built and well equipped but I don't think the weight will be too much of an issue!
Sound advice from Emmerson
Good luck with your search.

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
If your husband tows farm trailers though he might need to have the electrics updated for the caravan which if he has a 13 pin plug will need additional wires for the fridge and to charge the battery. /
I've just spoken to hubby and that makes more sense to him than me. We are planning on taking it on electric hook up sites for a while so does the electrics still need upgrading if we wouldn't be running anything off the Isuzu?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Caravan road lights (brake lights, indicators and night time running lights) operate from the car battery when you are towing.Most new caravans now have one 13 pin plug which connects to a corresponding socket on the towing vehicle to provide power to the road lights. A trailer or horse box might still have the old 7 pin plugs and the towcar would have at least a 7N socket to power the lights.
Adaptors can be bought if you still need the old 7 pin on the works vehicle.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Check that the front and rear beds are full length with it being a single axle. The layout is what what I suggested to you earlier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts