Advice on which Estate.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I currently drive a 4x4 and do a fair amount of business miles. Due to some work changes its no longer going to be practical or cost effective to keep the (no so) old gal so I've got to release her back to the wild...sniff.

Anyway I've been mooching around for a suitable large exec estate to tow with.

My head has been turned by the following

BMW 5 Touring

Audi A6 Avant

Merc E Class estate.

All Diesel , auto and 2lt (Merc is a 2.2lt) all roughly the same age (2005-2007) and mileage (20-40k)

Anyway my question is which would make the better tow car , I know alot will be personal choice , but I want to guage others experiences. I've only ever towed with a 4x4 and this will be a departure from my comfort zone when towing.

All cars are fairly well matched but nearer the 90% rather than the favoured 85% but I can live with that.

Any advice welcomed.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
A6 is available with Quattro drive, bmw 5 seems to win all the road tests.

I would check which one has the highest nose weight limit, and comes with self levelling suspension. Or alternatively sports suspension.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Audi 2 litre A6 only comes as FWD i think so forget that one after towing with a 4X4.

Rear wheel drive 5 series or Merc. If the 5 fits the towing weight I believe you'll find the BMW the best cost effective option and best car.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Now as a lot of folks know I am a Renault fan but I feel I do have some input here as I have a lot of motoring experience.

I think you will be better pleased with BMW or Mercedes as they offer a more executive package and a better pedigree. BMW does offer a reliable engine but ancilary items like air con and trim durability would concern me. Also there is a lot of depreciation to contend with.

Mercedes on the other hand offer a good mechanical package with sturdy trim. Also they have done fewer facelifts, so therefore I would say that they plan better and get design right first time. The others have facelift after facelift which is a bit like sticking a plaster on to patch and make do. The Mercedes also holds a better sale value in later years and mechanically they are good for 300K + miles before major wrks will be needed.

On a lighter note, I had to recondition my 1998 Laguna's Cylinder head after two valves burnt out. After 180'000 miles the 2 Litre petrol engine had cylinder bores still showing the honing marks from the factory when newly assembled, so Im confident that I now have a good 100K to go before the next look at the pistons. It just goes to show that the european manufacturers are building very trustworthy and reliable units.

So if had the choice it would be the merc.

Steve L.

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Or try a mondeo. 2.2 tdci titanium x estate with sports pack. 90kg noseweight, plenty of poke, good economy. over 1600kg kerbweight and 2000kg tow limit. Mine is best towcar I have had (all be it the 2.0 tdci model), and that is after towing with a Disco 3 which I sold due to company car and fuel card....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts