Advice please from Shogun drivers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just changed from Range Rover with permanent 4WD to 02 Shogun LWB, my question to existing owners is, do you use 4H when towing caravan,or is it OK to use just rear wheel drive.

Second question, do you find you need extension mirrors as the door mirrors are huge, if you do use extensions which do you recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to lose you to the dark side, Keith.

A pleasant and useful site I used to frequent when I had a 4M40 powered Rangey was:

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/
Well worth a visit.

Regarding mirrors, if you can see the side of the 'van then no, but if you only see the front corners then yes. Alittle simplified but near enough. I would think the actual vision through the mirrors would be similar to the RR as at 70" wide the Shotgun has wheel arch spats and big mirrors whereas the RR body has no spats but smaller mirrors.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Keith,

The debate on wether to use 4wd when towing with a Shogy has been around for some time - basically it doesn't matter what you use on the older models but with the GDI and post 2000 stuff, Mitsubishi recommend using 4WD for towing; apparently to prevent strain to the transmission.

My R reg car made no mention of this in the hand book or the data plate - if you look on yours however I think you will find it does tell you to engage 4WD HI for road use and you would be well advised to so, for peace of mind. If you check with a genuine Mitsi dealer they will tell you the same thing.

I tried towing with 4wd in mine and could tell very little difference, thought it might use more juice but could'nt notice and it certainly didn't scuff the tyres; but as I say it's not mandatory on the older models.

I used a milenco mirror on the drivers side only as I felt that the nearside view of the curb was adequate - your 02 car may have a wider track so you may get away without. I feel that the extra view down the side is beneficial though, whatever the vehicle - I find that I can see partially behind the van at about two car lengths with a tow mirror and about 500 yds without.

Why Milenco? - in short PC Mag recommendation. The favourite today seems to be the suction type that stick onto the car mirror glass - Towsure have them in their online shop.

PS. Had the Shoggy converted to LPG and it was a succes - now used by son so still in the family, a superb allrounder and tow truck!

Jun 4, 2005
Visit site
Keith,

The debate on wether to use 4wd when towing with a Shogy has been around for some time - basically it doesn't matter what you use on the older models but with the GDI and post 2000 stuff, Mitsubishi recommend using 4WD for towing; apparently to prevent strain to the transmission.

My R reg car made no mention of this in the hand book or the data plate - if you look on yours however I think you will find it does tell you to engage 4WD HI for road use and you would be well advised to so, for peace of mind. If you check with a genuine Mitsi dealer they will tell you the same thing.

I tried towing with 4wd in mine and could tell very little difference, thought it might use more juice but could'nt notice and it certainly didn't scuff the tyres; but as I say it's not mandatory on the older models.

I used a milenco mirror on the drivers side only as I felt that the nearside view of the curb was adequate - your 02 car may have a wider track so you may get away without. I feel that the extra view down the side is beneficial though, whatever the vehicle - I find that I can see partially behind the van at about two car lengths with a tow mirror and about 500 yds without.

Why Milenco? - in short PC Mag recommendation. The favourite today seems to be the suction type that stick onto the car mirror glass - Towsure have them in their online shop.

PS. Had the Shoggy converted to LPG and it was a succes - now used by son so still in the family, a superb allrounder and tow truck!
I am pretty sure it is law to have a towing mirror fitted to the offside when towing. I read that somewhere, towsure catalogue I think!

Keith,

Keith,

All good stuff from David W, Untill recently I towed with a 03 lwb 3.2 tdi. A notice on the drivers door indicated select four wheel drive high when towing. I checked with a mechanic at my local Mitshi. Dealer he said that the electronic gearbox required this and that the drive was apportioned to front or rear depending on traction or the loss of it although there was no mention of this capability in the Hand Book. Four wheel Drive use had no adverse effect on either tyre wear or fuel consumption.

Regarding towing mirrors I found that I didn't need them, I could see straight through the 'Van and the car was exactly the same width as the 'van which meant that the mirrors gave a clear view down both sides. On a previous '94 Shogun which was narrower I used the Milenco Mirror as reccomended by p/c Mag. However the way these attatch, can inhibit the electronic adjustment of the car mirror. Hope this helps.

Eddie.

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I have a 3.2 equippe and the recommendation is to use 4wd when towing, something to do with diff overheating I always do and still return 22-24mpg. I use Magnum towing mirrors. Dont bother with the nearside.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a 3.5 2004 LWB Shogun and use 4wd H. In this setting the transmission drives via all wheels and tyre scrub will not happen because the centre diff is not locked. On one journey I forgot to engauge 4WD and could not notice any difference, I quess that the drive shafts etc were under more strain / torque.

I use clip on mirrors from Towsure - when fitted they make a huge difference to what can be seen behind the caravan, it is noticable when comparing the image in the orignal mirror to the image in the extension mirror.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Gas Guzzlers Club. Hope you have a thick skin because there are some people on the forum who have a complex about towing with dinky toys and blame us for it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
4wd must be selected as per door warning sticker and handbook.I also use the milenco mirror that fixes onto the mirror body but had to make a new secure strap because the one supplied with the mirror wasnt long enough. I only fit the offside mirror because you cant see whats behind the van, and only seeing down the side of the van is only asking for trouble.Have towed in 2wd also and the mpg difference aint worth worrying about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts