Advice please

Apr 30, 2006
Visit site
I currently tow a Bailey Ranger 500/5 (1300kg)with an 04 Land rover freelander td4/hse which has a towing capability of 2000kg, well within legal limits. I am seriously thinking of changing to a Vauxhall Zafira, 1.9 desiel, 150 bhp (aprox 3-4 year old) which has a limit of 1500kg. Just wondering if anyone has experience towing this combination.

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Opel Zafira II - 1.9 CDTi 16v (110 kW/148 bhp)

Date of manufacture: july 2005 - up to now

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 75%.

The towing performances of this Opel with your Bailey are perfect (performance index = 108 km/h or 67 mph).

You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, in which case top gear is applicable in most cases.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

As supplied by www.whattowcar.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sandra, and Richard,

Richard, your comments regarding the Opel Zafira may be fine and correct, but despite both the Open and Vauhall versions of the Zafira probably being built in the same factory from the same parts, you cannot assume that the models are specified the same way.

Prviously on this forum there have been questions about Zafiras, and for no obvious reason, the Opel Model was allowed a greater towing capacity than the Vauxhall versions. You would be in breech of the road regulations if you assumed a higher tow-load than the manufacture species for your car.

It is vitally important to ensure you get the information for your exact make,model & year of car/caravan, down to the engine version, trim and body style.

There have also been documented instances of where third party web sites and services have got the wrong information about a car or a caravan, and thus have produced inaccurate results. In other words do not trust them.

You should always get the relevant information about your specific model of car and caravan either from the owners information (V5 and hand book) or directly from the dealer or manufacture. The calculations required are not complicated.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I understood only the automatic transmission versions suffered with low tow wieghts?Either way engine wise there will be no shortage of power to cope with 1300kgs.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello Sandra, and Richard,

Richard, your comments regarding the Opel Zafira may be fine and correct, but despite both the Open and Vauhall versions of the Zafira probably being built in the same factory from the same parts, you cannot assume that the models are specified the same way.

Prviously on this forum there have been questions about Zafiras, and for no obvious reason, the Opel Model was allowed a greater towing capacity than the Vauxhall versions. You would be in breech of the road regulations if you assumed a higher tow-load than the manufacture species for your car.

It is vitally important to ensure you get the information for your exact make,model & year of car/caravan, down to the engine version, trim and body style.

There have also been documented instances of where third party web sites and services have got the wrong information about a car or a caravan, and thus have produced inaccurate results. In other words do not trust them.

You should always get the relevant information about your specific model of car and caravan either from the owners information (V5 and hand book) or directly from the dealer or manufacture. The calculations required are not complicated.
John L please excuse me but out of interest whats your situation regarding careers?

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
I towed a 1483kg mtplm Pageant with a Zafira 150 and it was a fine tug. 150 cdti models have sports suspension and std ESP so are more suited to towing than the 120 cdti models. I had no stability issues, I didn't use 6th gear much, the car was happier in 5th, but your van is lighter than mine was .

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The apparent discrepancy between towing limits for Opel models and their respective Vauxhall counterparts arises only because Opel will, upon application and under certain conditions, issue concessions to allow higher towing limits, but the nominal limits are the same for both brands. It appears that Vauxhall is not prepared to issue such concessions but publishes only the nominal limits.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure how to take that comment!

Yes I was educated and despite that I did learn a few things, but life is a wonderful teacher, it exposes you to a much wider curriculum than schools and universities ever can.

I believe you lean a great deal from working the job, and I am pleased to say that throughout my working life I have had the opportunity to gain practical experience, to study and gain further job related qualifications, and also to change direction and expand into other fields.

Hospital porter to business consultant in 35 years. with varied steps in between.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Nothing intended John L and well done.you remind me of a German guy i used to work with some years ago.He'd been with the company for 30 years.A total mind of information,one super guy.He to funnily enough was a lecturer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nothing intended John L and well done.you remind me of a German guy i used to work with some years ago.He'd been with the company for 30 years.A total mind of information,one super guy.He to funnily enough was a lecturer.
Sorry, I'm not a lecturer though I suppose I have done a little,

Professionally I have had to lead meetings, and pass on important concepts to directors and senior management.

Telling the offspring to do home work and be home in time for bed

I have been Scout Leader, and needed to pass on information to Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Ventures and now Explores, - and parents (the most troublesome pupils) I have also taught basic acoustic guitar for an evening class at a college.

And now I am closely involved with schools as a Governor and Examinations Invigilator (Busy at the moment with GCSE, AS and GCE A levels).

OK so perhaps a bit of a lecturer.

May 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi - I tow a Bailey Ranger 510/4 , just over 1200kg , with an 08 Zafira 1.9 150 bhp and it tows fine.

Economy when towing varies betwwwn mid to late 20's mpg - but that's generally with bikes on the roof as well !

I had a previous model 1.8 petrol Zafira and this one makes for a much more 'relaxed' tow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts