Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Hello, we purchased a caravan at the NEC Feb 2022. from dealer (£29,000) it was the show model. we have had it about 6 weeks today we noticed a small hole in the top bodywork it looks like a drill close to the outside light, which suggests made in error at the factory. Where do I stand legally with our dealer, so far he isn’t responding to our emails about one or two other matters, we are happy with our purchase but a little concerned about the lack of interaction post purchase now I’m wondering given our caravan was the show model, is it a case as sold as seen ? ( we do have the usual warranties still in place). We have a hole we are worried about. Thankyou

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sunshine.

I'm sorry your having problems.

A show model should be a new caravan, but used for the show, If they sell it after a show, it should still carry a manufacturer's warranty, and you should have been given all the necessary paperwork to allow you to register your ownership of the caravan with the manufacturer to access the benefits of the warranty.

If you haven't had all the paperwork, the dealer has not done everything they should have done.

You should be asking the dealer to supply all the relevant documentation

I appreciate you have been having some difficulty getting through to the dealer by email, I suggest you begin to keep a written record of all your attempts to contact the dealer, and fairly quickly get a friend or relative round to witness you trying to contact the dealer. Try phoning and keep a records of when, who you have spoken to and what was said (best if its witnessed) and if anything is promised.

I hope it doesn't need to be escalated, but if the dealer isn't playing ball sensibly, then you need to consider taking action under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. (CRA)

The CRA sets out your statutory rights with the retailer, and as you purchased the caravan in only Feb 2022 you are in a very strong position to get the dealer to effect the repairs to the caravan

I suggest you google "Consumer Rights Act 2015" and if possible read up about it from the Consumer Association web site https://www.which.co.uk/ or money saving experts web site

Good luck

Reactions: Sunshine
Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Thankyou profJohnL for your guidance we believe we have the relevant paperwork, I wasn’t sure if discovering a hole in the body work would be fixable under the warranty. As it happens I found some photos from the show that I took and the little hole is actually in the photo ( kicking myself i didn’t notice it at the show)!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That photo could be quite important, as its proves the fault was present at the point of purchase which is one of the tests the CRA uses.

Just as another thought, if you used any credit system to help purchase the caravan, even a credit card to pay the deposit, then you might have claim against the credit lender becasue of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if Sunshine’s emails have actually been received by the Dealer? Maybe a phone call followed up by a “sign for” letter to a Senior member of staff will get the ball rolling

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
To the Dealer Principal, not just a 'senior ember of staff.' A (free) companies search will reveal the relevant name(s) to whom you should address your letter. Keep the letter short, simple, and to the point and above all objective. I agree with the Prof but I would suggest you don't mention the CRA in the first stage(s) or any possible amicable discussion could be straight out of the window.

It would be helpful to other readers if you can keep us posted.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
First of all write to the dealer getting proof of posting which is free. Keep the letter brief and to the point with no waffling. Advise the dealer that you have previously contacted them by email or letter and have not had a response. generally sending emails is a waste of time and effort as they don't bother to respond in many cases.

Remind the dealer of their obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 S9 & S10 that the caravan is supposed to be of satisfactory quality. You also have the right to reject under S19 and S20 of the CRA 2015.

Depending when you took delivery within the first 30 days of delivery you can reject the caravan and request a full refund and no excuses from the dealer. After the 30 days and within 6 months of delivery you need to give the dealer ONE chance at a repair before rejecting.

That time period is suspended from the date that you advise the dealer of the faults i.e. if you sent the email within the first 30 days and it is now 2 months since sending the email, the caravan is still within the 30 day rejection period.

If the caravan has some finance on it notify the finance house as soon as possible. If you paid a deposit using a credit card you are also have protection by S75 of the CCA.

Also as advised by the Prof guy "Which Legal Services" are very good and we used them when we rejected a caravan when it was 11 months old! Cost about £9 a month for as much legal information as required.

Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Whilst the correspondence is progressing you could also be thinking about what solution would be acceptable / reasonable to fix a small hole, ie do you want a whole new panel, a fill and paint, a patch, a discount, or reject the caravan entirely etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whilst the correspondence is progressing you could also be thinking about what solution would be acceptable / reasonable to fix a small hole, ie do you want a whole new panel, a fill and paint, a patch, a discount, or reject the caravan entirely etc.
I think the concern here is water ingress. I wonder if the poster can post a photo of the location of the hole?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello Sunshine, welcome to the forum. A photo would be really helpfull, I am wondering if this hole is in the Awning rail and not drilled into the caravan body. Only a photo will tell us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if Sunshine’s emails have actually been received by the Dealer? Maybe a phone call followed up by a “sign for” letter to a Senior member of staff will get the ball rolling
I agree and also why I suggested having their contact witnessed.

Whilst Sunshine should be made aware of their rights under the CRA, Initially a more congenial approach might be more appropriate, especially if there's been a problem with emails or text messages.

We don't really need know the nature of the hole, Its a hole, and it shouldn't be there, and there is evidence it was there before the caravan was sold.

Reactions: Dustydog
Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
That photo could be quite important, as its proves the fault was present at the point of purchase which is one of the tests the CRA uses.

Just as another thought, if you used any credit system to help purchase the caravan, even a credit card to pay the deposit, then you might have claim against the credit lender becasue of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
Thankyou

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site

Thankyou. we paid cash having spent many years saving up to buy a new caravan- however,, as we were at the show they wanted a deposit of £1,000. so we did put that on the credit card until we returned home and paid it off Instantly.

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
To the Dealer Principal, not just a 'senior ember of staff.' A (free) companies search will reveal the relevant name(s) to whom you should address your letter. Keep the letter short, simple, and to the point and above all objective. I agree with the Prof but I would suggest you don't mention the CRA in the first stage(s) or any possible amicable discussion could be straight out of the window.

It would be helpful to other readers if you can keep us posted.
Indeed I will keep you all posted Thankyou

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
First of all write to the dealer getting proof of posting which is free. Keep the letter brief and to the point with no waffling. Advise the dealer that you have previously contacted them by email or letter and have not had a response. generally sending emails is a waste of time and effort as they don't bother to respond in many cases.

Remind the dealer of their obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 S9 & S10 that the caravan is supposed to be of satisfactory quality. You also have the right to reject under S19 and S20 of the CRA 2015.

Depending when you took delivery within the first 30 days of delivery you can reject the caravan and request a full refund and no excuses from the dealer. After the 30 days and within 6 months of delivery you need to give the dealer ONE chance at a repair before rejecting.

That time period is suspended from the date that you advise the dealer of the faults i.e. if you sent the email within the first 30 days and it is now 2 months since sending the email, the caravan is still within the 30 day rejection period.

If the caravan has some finance on it notify the finance house as soon as possible. If you paid a deposit using a credit card you are also have protection by S75 of the CCA.

Also as advised by the Prof guy "Which Legal Services" are very good and we used them when we rejected a caravan when it was 11 months old! Cost about £9 a month for as much legal information as required.

Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Thankyou some good guidance here, we have had the Caravan about 6 weeks, haven’t used it yet, it’s been sat on our driveway

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Hadn’t thought about this, yes we want to keep the caravan just want it fixing to be honestly Thankyou

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thankyou some good guidance here, we have had the Caravan about 6 weeks, haven’t used it yet, it’s been sat on our driveway
As you paid the deposit with your credit card in addition to your rights under CRA 2015 you also have the protection of S75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as the total value was under £30,000

Have a read on the link Section 75.

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Thankyou good to know, I think we are going to go into the dealers tomorrow morning for a discussion directly with them - fingers crossed they sort out our issuEd- one or two other faults that need addressing at the same time 🤦🏻‍♀️). We love our caravan and don’t want this hassle anymore than the dealers do eh!

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Joined this topic and skipped through, I’m totally blank about using a credit card and using them should there be a problem, I did notice the mention of paying the deposit on a credit card and then paid the card off in full when getting home, does the help from the card issuer still apply in an issue of problems, the OP hasn’t asked and no one has mentioned it, as I’ve no idea myself I thought I’d highlight it for the OP.
Sorry if it’s covered and I’ve just noticed it

BP

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Joined this topic and skipped through, I’m totally blank about using a credit card and using them should there be a problem, I did notice the mention of paying the deposit on a credit card and then paid the card off in full when getting home, does the help from the card issuer still apply in an issue of problems, the OP hasn’t asked and no one has mentioned it, as I’ve no idea myself I thought I’d highlight it for the OP.
Sorry if it’s covered and I’ve just noticed it

Sorry I do not understand? I paid off card later that day as we don’t do debt too old for that! 🤣. I would hope the cover the credit card gives surely should still be there irrespective of when we cleared the card? Is that not the case? Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I do not understand? I paid off card later that day as we don’t do debt too old for that! 🤣. I would hope the cover the credit card gives surely should still be there irrespective of when we cleared the card? Is that not the case? Thankyou
Yes your purchase using a credit card will remain, otherwise there’s a lot of us who pay off our cards monthly wouldn’t benefit from the protection that is given.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts