Aftermarket TPMS system.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I’ve been reading this topic re the tyrepal sensor kit which seems to get the thumbs up for reliability so I think I might get it, is there just the one tyrepal model or is there a specific one that people on here are recommending? I just went to look on CAMHC site but currently down for updates so I’ll try them again later.

BP

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
To be realistic about it, the monitor probably only reads about once every 20-30 minutes unless there is an actually change in tyre pressure which is why the battery lasts about 60 hours.

There is of course no "need" to re send update info if there is no update. If the figure stated is correct, then it indicates smart thinking on the designer's part to extend the usable battery life.

The issue comes if for whatever reason the monitor fails to pick up on the transmission, one I suffered from in the original position I chose to place my monitor.
It transpired that "I" was the problem, sat in the driving seat my body blocked the signal from the off side sensor, I was pushing the TyrePal beyond its recommended range limit.
Swapping sensors over side to side as an experiment, proved it was the location not the sensor that was the issue. moving the transmitter eighteen inches along the dash cured things.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I’ve been reading this topic re the tyrepal sensor kit which seems to get the thumbs up for reliability so I think I might get it, is there just the one tyrepal model or is there a specific one that people on here are recommending? I just went to look on CAMHC site but currently down for updates so I’ll try them again later.

BP

There were certainly various models, not all aimed at set ups with trailers.
I after researching things, and with a vehicle already fitted with factory TPMS only needed to "add" a caravan, and that option did not exist. IMO a serious marketing failing as now you can't buy a car without it already.
After checking that there was every chance it would work, I purchased a car/motorhome basic 4 sensor system, and put just two of the sensors on the caravan. Saving money, bulk and getting two spare sensors if I should ever need them. It could have been more compact and cheaper if designed just for a two-wheel trailer, all most of us in this market need these days.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
To be realistic about it, the monitor probably only reads about once every 20-30 minutes unless there is an actually change in tyre pressure which is why the battery lasts about 60 hours.
Can't remember which Tyrepal model I have but it updates every few seconds - as an experiment I fitted the sensors on my car for a solo run and it was noticeable that the front temperature rises going round roundabouts and then settled back on the straights.

Reactions: Hutch and JTQ

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Though Roger, there it is active to change; where things are steady state, there can be no need to update as there is nothing to update.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If I had bought the caravan from new, I would have had the Tyrons, but it was a few months old. Didnt think at the time to be honest, or I would have had them done.

On all my other caravans, I have never had a tyre issue, but talking to a number of tyre fitters over the years, its surprising how many of them DONT KNOW how to fit them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Can't remember which Tyrepal model I have but it updates every few seconds - as an experiment I fitted the sensors on my car for a solo run and it was noticeable that the front temperature rises going round roundabouts and then settled back on the straights.
Nope it does not otherwise the battery in the monitor will flatten within a few hours. As an experiment don't switch on the unit immediately, but wait until you have travel several miles and then switch it and wait and see how long it takes to register the pressures.
Tyrepal themselves assured me that it would be normal for it to take up to 30 minutes to get readings fo switched on at a later stage. I will check and see if I still have the email.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Has anybody needed to add the repeater to their setup?
No. Our caravan is 8m long and behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Previously it was towed behind a Shogun. Distance from sensors to monitor which is on windscreen on passeneger side is under 7m

Reactions: Thingy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It is constantly monitoring the transmitters, and changing from each one in rotation, this can be seen if sitting in traffic or or going through water. Mine is the TC 215B and no need for a repeater.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is constantly monitoring the transmitters, and changing from each one in rotation, this can be seen if sitting in traffic or or going through water. Mine is the TC 215B and no need for a repeater.
According to Tyrepal the readings that you are seeing are from the last time it received a transmission from the sensor which could be up to 20 or more minutes previously as no need to constantly update unless a change in pressure. As said not my words, but from Tyrepal.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, I asked the question about how could an external sensor measure the temperature inside the tyre. They clearly didnt read my question because Ill i got was this:

The TPMS kit consists of a monitor (which is placed in the cab) and four external TCSO sensors – these simply replace the tyres’ valve stem caps, and the internal part of the sensor seals the tyre and can ‘read’ the pressure. When the vehicle is in motion the sensors ‘wake up’ and transmit the tyre pressure and temperature readings to the monitor. There are high/low alarm settings for the tyre pressures and when there is any significant change the monitor display will flash and there is an audible alarm. This allows you to safely slow down and pull over to check the tyres.

No covering of how an external sensor can reliably read the internal temperature of the tyre.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Well, I asked the question about how could an external sensor measure the temperature inside the tyre. They clearly didnt read my question because Ill i got was this:

No covering of how an external sensor can reliably read the internal temperature of the tyre.

I think if I was on their staff, that would be a question I would sidestep ;)

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Kit arrived today. Very well put together, spare valve seats, O rings and locking nuts included. Excellent manual, very clear and concise, but.................................what on eearth is the chrome U shaped bar for. There is no mention of it anywhere in the manual, and no pics of it either?

Answers on a postcard to Thingy, at bewildered.com

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Kit arrived today. Very well put together, spare valve seats, O rings and locking nuts included. Excellent manual, very clear and concise, but.................................what on eearth is the chrome U shaped bar for. There is no mention of it anywhere in the manual, and no pics of it either?

Answers on a postcard to Thingy, at bewildered.com
Isn't it a spanner to tighten up the locking nuts. We are at the caravan tomorrow and if you remind me I can check again.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Not, its not the spanner, its like a chrome handle, almost the width of the unit, it has two legs coming off at 90 degrees, and the tips of each leg are turrned smaller than the rest of it. On the front of the unit there are two small holes, either side of the buttons, and the hole centres match the two legs, but looks a very tight pushfit if indeed thats what it is.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not, its not the spanner, its like a chrome handle, almost the width of the unit, it has two legs coming off at 90 degrees, and the tips of each leg are turrned smaller than the rest of it. On the front of the unit there are two small holes, either side of the buttons, and the hole centres match the two legs, but looks a very tight pushfit if indeed thats what it is.
We have the same unit and not familair with the above. Any chance of pictures? I do know that the mount was one of the bets designed. We have ours fixed on the windscreen on the passenger side as I have the TomTom on the driver's side.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
The chrome thing is a dashboard sta
The chrome square u shaped thing is a dashboard stand that fits in the back of the monitor, on the back there is 6 holes /3 on each side, it fits in there so it can be free standing. I've never used it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts