Age Limits for Towing

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Are there age limits which insurance companies put on Motorhomes or Cars for Towing.
I have just tried to insure a low powered 1.2l Hyundai for my daughter with me as a named driver and the insurance company would not insure me as a driver. Could it be that it is because I am over 75.
My other car being a more powerful 2.2 diesel Freelander has me as a named driver without a problem
I dont want to go out and buy a Motorhome and find out I cant get insurance, Of start to tow a caravan with my Freelander if on renewal I cant get insurance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s plenty of over 75 drivers who have motorhomes or caravans. The only stipulation for a motorhome is that over 70 you can drive one where to GVW doesn’t exceed 3500kg on your normal three year licence. If you want to drive one heavier than 3500 kg you need an annual medical assessment and renewal.
For a caravan you can tow anything that is within your Freelander specified tow limits.
It’s your daughter’s insurer

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Who though is the policy holder and who is the "keeper"?
I suspect this could be the area where the insurer has some misgivings?

May 12, 2019
Visit site
There’s plenty of over 75 drivers who have motorhomes or caravans. The only stipulation for a motorhome is that over 70 you can drive one where to GVW doesn’t exceed 3500kg on your normal three year licence. If you want to drive one heavier than 3500 kg you need an annual medical assessment and renewal.
For a caravan you can tow anything that is within your Freelander specified tow limits.
It’s your daughter’s insurer
I insure my Freelander with one insurance company
I insure 2 other cars with another Insurance Company on a Multi Car Policy, One of the cars is used by my daughter and she is listed as the principal driver, She had an accident late December last year (black ice) and her car was written off, She was not prosecuted and that particular day there were 16 cars damaged due to black Ice) The premium to renew on her new car has gone up by £500. Also she lives with me.
So as the Insurance Company with my Freelander also does Multi Car Insurance I asked them how much it would be to add my daughters Hyundai I20 to my car to make it a Multi Car Policy, they said they could add the car but would not have me as a driver. (21 years NCD)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I insure my Freelander with one insurance company
I insure 2 other cars with another Insurance Company on a Multi Car Policy, One of the cars is used by my daughter and she is listed as the principal driver, She had an accident late December last year (black ice) and her car was written off, She was not prosecuted and that particular day there were 16 cars damaged due to black Ice) The premium to renew on her new car has gone up by £500. Also she lives with me.
So as the Insurance Company with my Freelander also does Multi Car Insurance I asked them how much it would be to add my daughters Hyundai I20 to my car to make it a Multi Car Policy, they said they could add the car but would not have me as a driver. (21 years NCD)
Thanks for the background but it doesn’t answer your query about would you be insured to drive a motorhome or tow a caravan. Best talk to your insurer but I cannot see why if the FL is insured in your name you could not tow with it. I’ve not seen any car insurer that excludes towing a trailer. Same with a motorhome but in that case some companies may not cover you but there are many that will given the number of MHs driven by older drivers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are there age limits which insurance companies put on Motorhomes or Cars for Towing.
I have just tried to insure a low powered 1.2l Hyundai for my daughter with me as a named driver and the insurance company would not insure me as a driver. Could it be that it is because I am over 75.
My other car being a more powerful 2.2 diesel Freelander has me as a named driver without a problem
I dont want to go out and buy a Motorhome and find out I cant get insurance, Of start to tow a caravan with my Freelander if on renewal I cant get insurance.
With questions like this that are reliant on specific information which forum members are not party too, the only people who can answer why you were not accepted as a named driver are the specific insurance company (s) you have approached.

The issue of being a named driver is entirely different to being able to obtain insurance for a motor home. Your licence entitlements change when you reach 70, and this may limit the MAM of vehicle or outfit you can drive without meeting an additional medical assessment.

Obtaining driving insurance is dependant on you having appropriate licence entitlements but the insurance company may consider other criteria as well as the licence.

Reactions: Beachball
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Different insurers have different criteria and may be looking at different markets. This could mean the insurer who refused you as a named driver may not take drivers of your age but most will. I am afraid though you are approaching an age when accidents do tend to increase and the premiums go up likewise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts