DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jeff,

I have used one for quite a few years for my car and caravan. The reason I changed to this type of lifting device was I had previous experience of using them to lift pipelines in the desert with ease. They are very versatile, and handy for leveling the van on sloping grass sites where you would struggle on soft ground with any of the conventional jacks. Once the van or car is off the ground they are also very stable but as with any jacking device never lay underneath without axle stands or extra supports etc.. However, you have to be careful when using them on your caravan. I always place the bag directly under the axle if possible, but if you have any obstructions like gas pipes or water waste pipes in the way then you can damage them using an air bag. If you place it under the chassis then you need to place a piece of 15mm ply of a similar size diameter as the bag to act as a load spreader between the bag and the chassis to prevent any pressure / weight on the van floor when the bag takes the load.

I wouldn't leave home without mine and as you say they are very light and don't take up much space. However you will find a lot of people will try and put you off them for the reasons stated above. Once you have used one and feel confident in doing so you will never look back.

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
hi. i use them for work as well, excellent bit of kit as with all lifting kit be carefull and use load spreaders they are capable of pushing your floor into the van.

u

sed correctly a good bit of kit.especially on soft ground.

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jeff,

I have used one for quite a few years for my car and caravan. The reason I changed to this type of lifting device was I had previous experience of using them to lift pipelines in the desert with ease. They are very versatile, and handy for leveling the van on sloping grass sites where you would struggle on soft ground with any of the conventional jacks. Once the van or car is off the ground they are also very stable but as with any jacking device never lay underneath without axle stands or extra supports etc.. However, you have to be careful when using them on your caravan. I always place the bag directly under the axle if possible, but if you have any obstructions like gas pipes or water waste pipes in the way then you can damage them using an air bag. If you place it under the chassis then you need to place a piece of 15mm ply of a similar size diameter as the bag to act as a load spreader between the bag and the chassis to prevent any pressure / weight on the van floor when the bag takes the load.

I wouldn't leave home without mine and as you say they are very light and don't take up much space. However you will find a lot of people will try and put you off them for the reasons stated above. Once you have used one and feel confident in doing so you will never look back.
Hi ,carried one of these for years but only used it once with great results(on soft soil)However,be careful how you position the bag under the vehicle as my first attempt at lifting with it i didnt get it under the vehicle properly and when it was nearly up to its height it shot out sideways and would have done somebody an injury if it had hit them.otherwise, very light and handy but difficult to set if you have two exhaust outlets on your car. Regards, frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts