Air Porch Awning or a Sun Canopy

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to see that your back is affecting your holiday Beachball.
Have you considered a lightweight porch awning?
This one weighs 6.8kgs.
Hi Parksy Got this new one on order it a Vango Capella 220 Air Porch awning it lighter then the 280 that will have to be sold or part x change for a fixed canopy or roll out awning ..but thankyou for your input much appreciated (y)

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi George and Ade I been taking Co - Codamol painkillers for some years now but I am finding the Tramadol 50 gm they seem to help as well .
Tramadol MAY have some very undesirable side effects although they suit some people - my GP put me on them when I became intolerant to Ibruprofen and I felt drunk all the time, so not good when driving and I reverted to Paracetamol and Codeine (the constituents of Co-Codamol) - mind you even Codeine can have issues, tolerance requiring ever higher doses and alcohol can magnify their Opiate effect.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Whilst being easier to put up, air awnings are by there very nature heavier than a traditional canvas awning, and having back problems myself I can fully sympathise. We tried a couple of air awnings, and of course we have had numerous full awnings, and we now do something a little different.

Firstly though, for anybody struggling, I can thoroughly recommend the Kampa Awning Puller. I bought this with my first Kampa Air and I thought at the time its probably going to be a piece of junk. I was however wrong and its one of the few caravanning accessories I have bought that is superb in every way. I am not overly tall and I find this solves all the problems.

Secondly we went down to the Isabella Porch (Magnum) and find most of the time its more than big enough. To that we added a tall annex and we actually use it as the door for the porch on longer stays where it also doubles as a useful storegae room and gives us the size almost of a full awning. Best of both worlds.

As for a canopy, I have always wondered, and I had a 4m Fiamma many moons ago, whether it was putting strain on the awning rails whilst travelling. We never did buy the sides for it, and whilst easy to put up (down actually) I never was happy with it.

But yes, Porch awning, fibre poles and the awning puller, life is easier.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Whilst being easier to put up, air awnings are by there very nature heavier than a traditional canvas awning, and having back problems myself I can fully sympathise. We tried a couple of air awnings, and of course we have had numerous full awnings, and we now do something a little different.

Firstly though, for anybody struggling, I can thoroughly recommend the Kampa Awning Puller. I bought this with my first Kampa Air and I thought at the time its probably going to be a piece of junk. I was however wrong and its one of the few caravanning accessories I have bought that is superb in every way. I am not overly tall and I find this solves all the problems.

Secondly we went down to the Isabella Porch (Magnum) and find most of the time its more than big enough. To that we added a tall annex and we actually use it as the door for the porch on longer stays where it also doubles as a useful storegae room and gives us the size almost of a full awning. Best of both worlds.

As for a canopy, I have always wondered, and I had a 4m Fiamma many moons ago, whether it was putting strain on the awning rails whilst travelling. We never did buy the sides for it, and whilst easy to put up (down actually) I never was happy with it.

But yes, Porch awning, fibre poles and the awning puller, life is easier.
What weight is a porch awning with fibre poles and this puller sounds like it could be great :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would seriously look at Parksy suggestion for a lightweight poled porch. We used one a few years ago. It was bought for hot summers in France and could sit four around the table. It was very cheap and I almost considered it disposable. But we grew so attached to it that even back here we used it in preference to the full size awning. The only problem was that in early spring later autumn it had condensation but that was easily dried off. In winter we tended to not use this awning unless away for around a week.
Worth thinking about.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What weight is a porch awning with fibre poles and this puller sounds like it could be great :)
The poled one Parksy suggests is 6.8 kg, mine the the air version is 7kg. The pegs and hammer for the skirting are probably 2 kg. I suppose with the poled version you dont have to worry about forgetting the pump. But I always leave that in the caravn.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Hi there missed all this-but do hope you get sorted-we have the Suncamp air 260 with one pole and it's super easy to pop up and quite light but am really with you-when i had my hips done I struggled with everything but swmbo was fit and she did the heavy stuff and i crawled round the floor doing the pegs etc. People on site will help of course and you could put your caravan on a seasonal pitch . Rough thing when the body starts to go wrong.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
When we returned to touring a few years back, I bought a new Kampa air awning, used it a couple of times but, although I’m fit and healthy, I found it too heavy and unwieldy to pack etc,
Sold it on and bought an Isabella Minor porch awing. Just big enough, the awning and poles are super light and easy to manage, I still use screw in pegs as I ended up with tennis elbow a few years back and hammering aggravates it.
For weekends, we have an Isabella sun canopy, erects in minutes, just a flap of material and 2 poles and guy ropes. We use that with a windbreak and it’s great.
Don’t give up BB, adapt and carry on as long as possible.

Kev

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi George and Ade I been taking Co - Codamol painkillers for some years now but I am finding the Tramadol 50 gm they seem to help as well .
Be extremely careful with Tramadol and don't even consider driving for several hours after taking a tablet. Also you cannot just stop tramadol as you will have hallucinations. I avoid taking tramadol where possible.

Reactions: RogerL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we returned to touring a few years back, I bought a new Kampa air awning, used it a couple of times but, although I’m fit and healthy, I found it too heavy and unwieldy to pack etc,
Sold it on and bought an Isabella Minor porch awing. Just big enough, the awning and poles are super light and easy to manage, I still use screw in pegs as I ended up with tennis elbow a few years back and hammering aggravates it.
For weekends, we have an Isabella sun canopy, erects in minutes, just a flap of material and 2 poles and guy ropes. We use that with a windbreak and it’s great.
Don’t give up BB, adapt and carry on as long as possible.

Kev
Just had a look at the Isabella sun canopy great bit of kit that is a option we could look at Thanks (y)

Reactions: Kevin M and JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Be extremely careful with Tramadol and don't even consider driving for several hours after taking a tablet. Also you cannot just stop tramadol as you will have hallucinations. I avoid taking tramadol where possible.
In my car I have a massage seat i use that when i am driving it relieves my pain a little bit the tramadol get use on site :)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi there missed all this-but do hope you get sorted-we have the Suncamp air 260 with one pole and it's super easy to pop up and quite light but am really with you-when i had my hips done I struggled with everything but swmbo was fit and she did the heavy stuff and i crawled round the floor doing the pegs etc. People on site will help of course and you could put your caravan on a seasonal pitch . Rough thing when the body starts to go wrong.
Hi JezzerB Could not do hardly anything the wheel clamp not on the van manage to put hitch lock on the caravan and take it off electric hook up cable but that day reverse the caravan near to the pitch and finish off with the mover ,and that was it . When you cannot do much loading or unloading and my poor wife got it all it tearing me up about my share

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Tramadol MAY have some very undesirable side effects although they suit some people - my GP put me on them when I became intolerant to Ibruprofen and I felt drunk all the time, so not good when driving and I reverted to Paracetamol and Codeine (the constituents of Co-Codamol) - mind you even Codeine can have issues, tolerance requiring ever higher doses and alcohol can magnify their Opiate effect.
Hi Roger for the last couple decades been taking Tramadol only when needed Alcohol free do not take tablets when driving i live with a nurse who has had 40 years experience so i am monitored .

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 24, 2014
Visit site
For Beachball

Dometic Easy Awning Pulley CampingWorld.co.uk

To answer your question about porch weight, they are all different, depends on type size and make. However with the Isabella, all poles can be attached at ground level without climbing and with the awning puller, you can pull it through the rail one handed with a beer in the other hand, and Im not kidding, its that easy. Of course it was bought for an air awning and it worked a treat with ours, still works with our porch just as well and will work with any awning out there. What Im trying to get at is if its just thw eight of the air awning you are stuggling with, gamble £25 on the puller rather than spend a lot changuing awnings, you wont be disappointed.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Beachball, looking at the problem I do wonder f your caravan has enough loading capacity for a fixed canopy. If you can get one that you can then unwind from ground level as I have seen on motorhomes, this might do the trick. As Other Clive says you can get sides to clip on for many canopies which hopefully your wife could manage. You might even find you can trade in the awning as part payment for the canopy.
I do know that people worry about the balance with the canopy hanging from one side, but many people do manage, so possibly the warnings are over done.
We still have a porch awning from when we had the family and have not used it for some time now and have found we could live without it.
Hi Ray if we wanted to trade our awning as part payment for the canopy where the best place to do it thanks

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi as this thread seems to be a mixture of back care advice and awning advice, can I add some back care advice. OH was really struggling with his back but found losing even a bit of weight made a big difference. Not what anyone wants to hear, and not at all easy; but sadly can really help. Particularly for men where the weight on the belly is being supported by the back. Losing a stone is like not carrying around a toddler all day. As I said, not what anyone wants to hear but if you are overweight ( don’t know if this applies to you, Beachball) it is an unpalatable truth. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Mel

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi thingy, I’ve just watched the Kampa. You tube video of using the puller, I wondered if you’d seen the video and whether you thought it really was as easy as depicted in the video, I’m waiting on a delivery soon to with any luck and if it’s hard work once I get it to try erecting it I might try the pulley if you think the video is how it really works, you opinion would be much appreciated.

BP

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I own the pulley and use it every trip. It really is that easy. I used it originally with my Kampa Air until the blessed tube exploded. I used it with my Isabella awning and use it now with my magnum porch. I can honestly say I pull it through with one hand. Instead of winding it though i simply hold the spool and walk backwards. I usually fit the anchor before I leave home which saves time on site and I also employ an Isabella tip and spray the awning rail with aquatex. As for the video i would have to say its even easier in practice. I should also say im vertically challenged, have two knackered knees and forty years ago i broke my back. Even with all that, its a doddle.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
WOW that’s a good review if ever I read one, I’m not sure when I get the new Vango Balletto air awning, it’s called a porch which I suppose it is at 300 width so it may well be easy enough without but I might get it regardless I’ll make my mind up when I get it, thanks loads for your reply, you know how it is with makers reviews they only ever say good about a product so I’m really glad to be in touch with a real user with no reason to give anything other than real truths, many thanks.

BP

Reactions: Thingy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi as this thread seems to be a mixture of back care advice and awning advice, can I add some back care advice. OH was really struggling with his back but found losing even a bit of weight made a big difference. Not what anyone wants to hear, and not at all easy; but sadly can really help. Particularly for men where the weight on the belly is being supported by the back. Losing a stone is like not carrying around a toddler all day. As I said, not what anyone wants to hear but if you are overweight ( don’t know if this applies to you, Beachball) it is an unpalatable truth. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Mel
Hi Lady Mel There no weight on my belly I don"t Drink or smoke . :)

Reactions: Mel and JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
O
I used it with my Isabella awning and use it now with my magnum porch. I can honestly say I pull it through with one hand. Instead of winding it though i simply hold the spool and walk backwards. I usually fit the anchor before I leave home which saves time on site and I also employ an Isabella tip and spray the awning rail with aquatex.
Our Magnum does not have an eyelet that can be used to pull it through and neither does our small 220 air awning.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
High Buckman. You dont need the eyelet, you can attach to the adjustable buckle that normally gets pegged right at the rear or one of the pegging points. You could also make an unobtrusive eyelet in the mud wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts