Air Porch Awning or a Sun Canopy

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
High Buckman. You dont need the eyelet, you can attach to the adjustable buckle that normally gets pegged right at the rear or one of the pegging points. You could also make an unobtrusive eyelet in the mud wall.

But on the Magnum, it is the roof, not the side wall that needs the direct pull?

I push our Magnum up the rail whilst somewhat undignified, draping the roof on top of myself so the bulk of its weight is not taken by the rail.

In my experience it is avoiding the awning's weight hanging from the rail, but otherwise supported, that is the essence of easing threading the bead.

There is no reason you could not combine doing that with using the Kampa Dometic Easy awning pully, and though I started collecting bits to make a DIY version, I dropped doing so having never previously needed one. I was planning to sew a "D" loop via a tape, under the roof "wing" extension.
As I age, maybe I should resurrect the project for the minimum effort involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thingy
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We have the Suncamp 260 air porch awning. the only thing which makes a problem is inserting the two rods which go into a pocket at the awning rail, the rest is quite easy and the hand pump only requires few pumps and it is up. Could not do without it as my fishing gear and table with the microwave on it just about fills it up. Tried putting scooter in there but have to make umpteen turns to get it to right position. I also have the T shirt for back and knee problems

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
For Beachball

Dometic Easy Awning Pulley CampingWorld.co.uk

To answer your question about porch weight, they are all different, depends on type size and make. However with the Isabella, all poles can be attached at ground level without climbing and with the awning puller, you can pull it through the rail one handed with a beer in the other hand, and Im not kidding, its that easy. Of course it was bought for an air awning and it worked a treat with ours, still works with our porch just as well and will work with any awning out there. What Im trying to get at is if its just thw eight of the air awning you are stuggling with, gamble £25 on the puller rather than spend a lot changuing awnings, you wont be disappointed.
Hi Thingy might still want a lightweight air porch awning i will try this Dometic Easy Awning Pulley on our new one when it arrives thanks :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
But on the Magnum, it is the roof, not the side wall that needs the direct pull?
I take your point JTQ, however, if you put it up in one, i.e. with the sides in place, and squirt the rail with Aquatex, you will be surprised at how it flies up, even pulling the side wall.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I take your point JTQ, however, if you put it up in one, i.e. with the sides in place, and squirt the rail with Aquatex, you will be surprised at how it flies up, even pulling the side wall.
Hi Thingy if the awning goes up like you say thanks for your input on this matter :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some good points, I did some research and was looking at an Omnistor, bonded to the caravan roof. Thats a bit heavier than the Fiamma we leave in the channel at present. But so easy to extend and retract. The down side, (apart from the cost), is the bracket is fixed perminantly.

The Fiamma causes us no loading issues. Might be an advantage as the weight is balanced out by being on the lighter side of the van.

I only did not go ahead with the purchase as we were getting locked down and we could see it would not get much use.

John
We are looking into a Fiamma F35 Awning and how it fixes to the rail thanks for your input on this matter :)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Excellent. I was looking at the Omnistor as it has a crank to deploy. Fiamma do one also but the Omnistor was better value when I last looked.

John
Hi John if the Omnistor awning if it does not fit my caravan when we upgrade in the future it will fit that one better (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
For Beachball

Dometic Easy Awning Pulley CampingWorld.co.uk

To answer your question about porch weight, they are all different, depends on type size and make. However with the Isabella, all poles can be attached at ground level without climbing and with the awning puller, you can pull it through the rail one handed with a beer in the other hand, and Im not kidding, its that easy. Of course it was bought for an air awning and it worked a treat with ours, still works with our porch just as well and will work with any awning out there. What Im trying to get at is if its just thw eight of the air awning you are stuggling with, gamble £25 on the puller rather than spend a lot changuing awnings, you wont be disappointed.
Thingy this look like match made in heaven for pulling awning through a rail thanks for your input very much appreciated

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have the Suncamp 260 air porch awning. the only thing which makes a problem is inserting the two rods which go into a pocket at the awning rail, the rest is quite easy and the hand pump only requires few pumps and it is up. Could not do without it as my fishing gear and table with the microwave on it just about fills it up. Tried putting scooter in there but have to make umpteen turns to get it to right position. I also have the T shirt for back and knee problems
impressed with the amount stuff you can get in there:)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We found a 275 porch awning useful as it acted as a shed, drying room, place to hang wet jackets and mist if all somewhere for me to sit and read with a glass or two in the evenings.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi Everyone I have a big problem
Last season we brought a brand new Vango Varkala II 280 Air Porch Awning not been out of it bag yet.
And we have this coming 2021 Vango Capella 220 Air Porch Awning
Yesterday arrived here same problem could hardly move with my back
So what would be best
Sun Canopy that fits on the awning rail and it just drops out
Vango Capella 220 Air Porch Awning with one air beam
I need very good input because we thinking of giving up with this Touring Caravan Lark
I don"t want to but it not fair to my wife doing everything unloading and loading .
What are your views on this ?
We have a Vango Varkala 1, porch awning, I suspect the same size as yours. my Son in Law has one, he managed to put it up by himself. We found it hard to do with two of us. I am not a fan of air awnings as they are heavy to slide into awning rails.

prior to this we had a lovely awning. Quick and easy to put up, 2 curved main poles, made up of 2 or 3 sections each. After 10 years it tore.

if you can’t help then just get something simple And light. awning Space is nice. Can you think of ways to manage without the awning?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have pitched next to Hutch. It is a Sunncamp. Not sure what size. Possibly a 260?
Mel
Yes its a Sunncamp 260 air awning. We tend to use it all the time, very lightweight, It will withstand fairly rough weather, but remember it is a lightweight Porch Awning. Refer back to the photo.
Mel the leak turned out to be just the inflation Valve.

Reactions: Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts