Air Porch Awning or a Sun Canopy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Beachball, looking at the problem I do wonder f your caravan has enough loading capacity for a fixed canopy. If you can get one that you can then unwind from ground level as I have seen on motorhomes, this might do the trick. As Other Clive says you can get sides to clip on for many canopies which hopefully your wife could manage. You might even find you can trade in the awning as part payment for the canopy.
I do know that people worry about the balance with the canopy hanging from one side, but many people do manage, so possibly the warnings are over done.
We still have a porch awning from when we had the family and have not used it for some time now and have found we could live without it.
Hi Ray Internal length (at bed box height ) 4.74m/ 15".7" would that take a fixed Canopy ?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
With any mobility or reach challenges the concept of threading the awning complete with its frame through an awning rail seems, from a weight handling point of view alone, a flawed idea.
One that even gets more so if the product has any quality about it, so the fabric and bladders have more weight to them.

The whole" air framed" concept, apart from it less likely to damage the van if it gets blown about, fails to convince me of its merits on any design point, least threading it up.

We use a Magum that I, happily, at even just shy of eighty cope with single handed and without a step ladder, or we use a Shadow canopy and windbreak.
I have assisted others, and extensively witnessed others with air awnings, porches, part and full, enough to leave them well alone, at least I will until the design concept is sorted. That's not to say some can't make even putting up a poled awning into a challenge, it does not need to be, though most don't try lugging the frame with it through the awning rail!

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our air awning , has a sigle "Horseshoe" inflatabe tube. Its a 220 size and weighs about 7 kg, it takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to completly inflate (20 pumps) and peg down.

Studio_20210303_171245.jpg

Reactions: sealandroader
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
With any mobility or reach challenges the concept of threading the awning complete with its frame through an awning rail seems, from a weight handling point of view alone, a flawed idea.
One that even gets more so if the product has any quality about it, so the fabric and bladders have more weight to them.

The whole" air framed" concept, apart from it less likely to damage the van if it gets blown about, fails to convince me of its merits on any design point, least threading it up.

We use a Magum that I, happily, at even just shy of eighty cope with single handed and without a step ladder, or we use a Shadow canopy and windbreak.
I have assisted others, and extensively witnessed others with air awnings, porches, part and full, enough to leave them well alone, at least I will until the design concept is sorted. That's not to say some can't make even putting up a poled awning into a challenge, it does not need to be, though most don't try lugging the frame with it through the awning rail!
If our new Vango awning does not come the Shadow Canopy might be the way forward because we have a windbreak .

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We used our new van and air awning for the first time last week - Elddis Xplore 304 and Sunncamp Swift Air 260SC.

The awning went up very easily but there are three points its worth noting:-

1. I couldn't find this in the instructions and it may not be applicable to all models but there is a strap that needs connecting up and goes between the bottom of the 'air legs'. Its purpose is to maintain the correct distance between them when you inflate. If you don't fit the strap the 'air legs' will try and straighten out. It also ensures that the protective flaps that are supposed to go under the bottom of the 'air legs' are pulled into place.

2. The supplied pegs are pretty useless on hardstanding so we cleared the camp site store out of rock pegs. Twenty four I think and still could have done with a few more.

3. The 260cm dimension refers to the footprint and the awning is not as wide at the top. This work out just well for us because I thought it might partially obscure one of the van windows but it didn't. Had to position the side near the end of the van carefully to allow for the toilet waste tank to be taken out easily.

We also got a free ground sheet which is a little more than an upmarket landscape fabric. It will do until we get something better.

Very happy with it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We used our new van and air awning for the first time last week - Elddis Xplore 304 and Sunncamp Swift Air 260SC.

The awning went up very easily but there are three points its worth noting:-

1. I couldn't find this in the instructions and it may not be applicable to all models but there is a strap that needs connecting up and goes between the bottom of the 'air legs'. Its purpose is to maintain the correct distance between them when you inflate. If you don't fit the strap the 'air legs' will try and straighten out. It also ensures that the protective flaps that are supposed to go under the bottom of the 'air legs' are pulled into place.

2. The supplied pegs are pretty useless on hardstanding so we cleared the camp site store out of rock pegs. Twenty four I think and still could have done with a few more.

3. The 260cm dimension refers to the footprint and the awning is not as wide at the top. This work out just well for us because I thought it might partially obscure one of the van windows but it didn't. Had to position the side near the end of the van carefully to allow for the toilet waste tank to be taken out easily.

We also got a free ground sheet which is a little more than an upmarket landscape fabric. It will do until we get something better.

Very happy with it.
I have taken note of the three points in case I decide to go for a Sunncamp air awning if my new 2021 Vango does not arrive.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Since last breakaway decided to have a clean sweep and sold all three of my awnings, both air and ordinary, with satisfactory results! Now planning to have one which will be of service and suit our needs for our next holiday in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Kevin M
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Latest update our Vango Capella 220 Airbeam Porch awning has yet again been delayed this is the Fourth time it has been changed (y)

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
That’s not great BB.
We used our Isabella canopy this weekend and it was great in keeping th3 rain off the door and giving me a dry area to wipe our dogs feet.
Even managed to take it down and pack it away during a (rare) dry spell.

Kev

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That’s not great BB.
We used our Isabella canopy this weekend and it was great in keeping th3 rain off the door and giving me a dry area to wipe our dogs feet.
Even managed to take it down and pack it away during a (rare) dry spell.

Kev
Hi Kev if it does not come from china we are thinking of getting a canopy :)

Reactions: Kevin M
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I was told several times mine was due in next few days, next week, and all sort of tales, in the end my only way out was a refund in full, so good luck yours arrives.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was told several times mine was due in next few days, next week, and all sort of tales, in the end my only way out was a refund in full, so good luck yours arrives, the dealer I was waiting on had a name beginning with G
BP in total emails to this dealer i have sent 30 he says it coming but if it does not arrive in the next couple of days we will cancelled our order ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Latest update just had a phone call from the dealer my new 2021 Vango Capella 220 Air Porch Awning has finally landed and it should be here tomorrow quick P&P

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I had been waiting far too long for a Vango Balletto that I’d paid in full for so as I posted before I purchased a Kampa air pro 330s, we left early Thursday morning to head towards Sheffield for a week away, on route I had a call from Attwools to say they had the Balletto in stock, of all the dealers I’d either paid deposits to or requested to get told availability the only dealer with the courtesy to get back to me was Attwools, so top marks to Attwools, regarding the purchased Kampa we are really pleased, also a mention for Thingy regarding the awning pulley I found it a massive help, I am already thinking it will be even easier next time when I’ve got a decent lubricant to spray the awning channel, I’d also now recommend the awning pulley, another top mark for Towsure in Sheffield, if you arrange a click and collect you pay on collection and have to collect within 2 days, I asked for that to be extended for my roof liner to 5 days and when I got there it was there as promised, so there are good dealers in this industry, as for the Kampa it’s excellent.
BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I had been waiting far too long for a Vango Balletto that I’d paid in full for so as I posted before I purchased a Kampa air pro 330s, we left early Thursday morning to head towards Sheffield for a week away, on route I had a call from Attwools to say they had the Balletto in stock, of all the dealers I’d either paid deposits to or requested to get told availability the only dealer with the courtesy to get back to me was Attwools, so top marks to Attwools, regarding the purchased Kampa we are really pleased, also a mention for Thingy regarding the awning pulley I found it a massive help, I am already thinking it will be even easier next time when I’ve got a decent lubricant to spray the awning channel, I’d also now recommend the awning pulley, another top mark for Towsure in Sheffield, if you arrange a click and collect you pay on collection and have to collect within 2 days, I asked for that to be extended for my roof liner to 5 days and when I got there it was there as promised, so there are good dealers in this industry, as for the Kampa it’s excellent.
BP
BP I pre order mine in January and it now May that 5 months so i am hoping that it comes as arranged this morning we cannot wait to try it out i have order a awning pulley so that should make it easier i hope you enjoy your new awning and have a fantastic break ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts