Air Tags

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The air tag will pass on the data of your location which includes shops you visit etc. The next thing you are being bombarded with adverts for other shops selling similar stuff to the shop you visited!

No thanks as it is bad enough at present being constantly tracked and your personal shopping habits being identified. In addition, it will pass on the data that you have left your home and possibility no one at home.
I haven’t seen any evidence relating to your claims and Air Tags. Perhaps other makes do as you say but Apple take security seriously. The data link between Air Tag and Find My App is encrypted so I’m surprised at your claims. Here’s a statement from Apple relating to Air Tag security and features.

Reactions: Jcloughie and JRT
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
And if that was even true what do you imagine would be the consequences of that?

I guess then that each time I set our Ring alarm to 'away' I should worry somebody from Amazon is going to come round and rob me? :rolleyes:

I really think there needs to be a sense of perspective kept here.
There are some very clever hackers that are only too happy to sell on your data as they will know just about everything about the property. Far fetched I know, but there is the possibility.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
There are some very clever hackers that are only too happy to sell on your data as they will know just about everything about the property. Far fetched I know, but there is the possibility.

Far more likely that a local scrote will break into your house than somebody in another part of the world taking the time to hunt down your specific home address and sell it to someone so they can.

The possibility is infinitesimal in the extreme (and debatable anyway) so I will stick with using my Ring alarm.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The air tag will pass on the data of your location which includes shops you visit etc. The next thing you are being bombarded with adverts for other shops selling similar stuff to the shop you visited!

No thanks as it is bad enough at present being constantly tracked and your personal shopping habits being identified. In addition, it will pass on the data that you have left your home and possibility no one at home.
Pure unsupported fantasy.

WHEN interrogated the tag will show ITS (not your) location. They are normally attached to inanimate objects. Not a lot of point in bombarding a suitcase with advertising.

I understand the point that Sam makes regarding trying to minimise who your data is passed onto. We do not make those efforts so we are potentially at risk of being bombarded. However. We find places like Amazon and Tesco only highlight alternatives to items we have looked at. Temu and AliExpress do keep sending emails and offers, but I can unsubscribe whenever I want.

Insurance companies are worse who all seem to think they know when my renewal is. Then there are charities. I worry about one in particular who spend some of the money I give them every month on asking me for more.

The invasion of my private space it overstated.

John

Reactions: otherclive and JRT

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Pure unsupported fantasy.

WHEN interrogated the tag will show ITS (not your) location. They are normally attached to inanimate objects. Not a lot of point in bombarding a suitcase with advertising.

I understand the point that Sam makes regarding trying to minimise who your data is passed onto. We do not make those efforts so we are potentially at risk of being bombarded. However. We find places like Amazon and Tesco only highlight alternatives to items we have looked at. Temu and AliExpress do keep sending emails and offers, but I can unsubscribe whenever I want.

Insurance companies are worse who all seem to think they know when my renewal is. Then there are charities. I worry about one in particular who spend some of the money I give them every month on asking me for more.

The invasion of my private space it overstated.

John

One that particularly annoyed me recently was a shop in Stortford.

Long story short I had to keep logging in to see when an item ordered on line, that was taking an age to come was going to be dispatched.

Religiously 10 mins after each log in I would get an email titled

Did you see anything you like....?

I Was so tempted to email back

Er...no I just wanted to know when my flippin lawn mower that I ordered a week ago was going to actually arrive.....

Needless to say I am now unsubscribed...

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
One that particularly annoyed me recently was a shop in Stortford.

Long story short I had to keep logging in to see when an item ordered on line, that was taking an age to come was going to be dispatched.

Religiously 10 mins after each log in I would get an email titled

Did you see anything you like....?

I Was so tempted to email back

Er...no I just wanted to know when my flippin lawn mower that I ordered a week ago was going to actually arrive.....

Needless to say I am now unsubscribed...
If it is the same company in Stortford, it took me over a year to stop their monthly catalogue, after buying a spider catcher for. My niece.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
but Apple take security seriously.
Yes, they all say that right after leaking data or getting hacked

I guess my biggest issue is that the Internet is used in many cases as a way of persuading us to buy stuff we don't need or want. In other words much of it is paid for by advertising and I don't want any of that thank you.

I get zero junk mail or spam or scams. I don't see adverts on most web sites I visit. I'm not followed around the internet with everyone trying to persuade me to buy the things I looked at on the last web site.

I like the fight...me against them. Not sure who's winning though 😉

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts