AKS for my 'van (and other questions!)

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I've just bought a 1991 Elddis Mistral XL (pick it up in two weeks) from a local(ish) dealer in Luton to tow behind my Chrysler PT Cruiser GT2.4.

As I've had a Witter Quantam detatchable towbar fitted, I'm loath to fit a leaf type stabiliser, so does anyone know if an AKS1300 stabiliser hitch can be fitted to this van? Not having crawled underneath, I can only assume it's an Alko chassis, but I'm not too sure about the compatability - I read somewhere that there's a maximum 'twist' for the hitch head, or something like that!

Incidentaly, this van's a layout I've never come across before - it's a two berth (about 13'), but the corner washroom is half the width of the van, with the kitchen sink across the remaining space in the rear, then the hob, fridge and oven to the left of the door above the wheelarch. Is (or was) this a common layout?

Are there any potential problems or quirks peculiar to the Mistral XL I should be aware of??

Thanks.

Dale

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mr T, I see no techies have answered you yet, so failing their arrival, I'll give it a go. However if one of them turns up they probably know better than me, so listen to them.

Elddis, I thought used the BPW chassis and fit Winterhoff stabilisers.

So if you want a coupling stabiliser then that route (winterhoff) should present you with no obstacles.

As for your layout, pretty much nothing is unusual, I had an Elddis Pamperos that had the normal parallel seats and an extra (half a parallel) right behind it, loads of seating space at the cost of the washroom.

Not aware of any problems with the Mistral, but like any second user van do the basic checks and if its from a dealer get a good warrantee.

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Elddis use BPW chassis now, but they didnt always, if the handles are red its alco, bpw's are blue.(however some older vans were black ? alco i think).

The only aks hitch head that wont fit a bpw, is the 2004/3004 & even then its only the model with the assisted handbrake.

The reason is at full depression of the hitch tube the handle of the aks hits the handbrakes handle & causes it to engage.

So the aks 1300 is fine to fit to an elddis provided its max weight is no more than 1360 kgs & the hitch head does not turn 360 degrees, as some older heads could.

Keith.

P.s done lots with the layout u have.

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Elddis use BPW chassis now, but they didnt always, if the handles are red its alco, bpw's are blue.(however some older vans were black ? alco i think).

The only aks hitch head that wont fit a bpw, is the 2004/3004 & even then its only the model with the assisted handbrake.

The reason is at full depression of the hitch tube the handle of the aks hits the handbrakes handle & causes it to engage.

So the aks 1300 is fine to fit to an elddis provided its max weight is no more than 1360 kgs & the hitch head does not turn 360 degrees, as some older heads could.

Keith.

P.P.S dont forget u need the alco towball whichever head u go for, inc the winterhof.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site

Keith.

The Witter Quantam is a removable swan neck bar, so that should be OK.

Dale

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts