AL-KO Jockey Wheel Handle Knob

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The one on the winding handle has cracked and comes off when winding the jockey wheel assembly. I am not sure if there is a standard diameter for the winder or different sizes. Unfortunately our caravan is at the dealer so unable to check the with of the shaft.
This the first time we have ever had one crack despite previous caravans being a lot older than the current one. Ours is the heavy duty jockey wheel with load up to 150kgs. Is it a standard size or not?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Definitely no where near 48mm. This is the red knob on top of the winder for the jockey wheel. No sense in buying a complete assembly for the sake of about £10!

Just Google “jocky wheel knob”. There are loads, but you will need to know the make, and/or the diameter of the stem. My guess it that it clips on with a little tap.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Is it "vertically" cracked as opposed to horizontally, as I was thinking about wrapping it tightly with multi turns of insulting tape holding it firmly together, at least till or when a "proper" repair might be made?

When I have a few minutes later today I will look for you on how our 150 kg hitch one is made, to better understand how I would get round it if I had not my workshop to simply turn up my own replacement.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Is yours like the one shown here?
If so:-
This handle is formed from a 10 mm dia rod, cranked with a knob on one end and secured with a roll pin at the other.
By far the simplest, should they sell a spare handle is to knock out the roll pin and reassemble with a new handle; but I suspect no such spare handle will be retailed.
Jockey Handle 1.jpgjockey Handle 2.jpg
I suspect the knob itself is simply retained by a starlock washer, LIKE the 10 mm one sold here

I can't see how to remove the knob, I suspect it is a one time fit item; the nature of starlocks, they don't let go.
I would make a replacement knob, from a block of wood, say yew. Bore through a 10 mm hole and for neatness counter bore to house the starlock and its plain washer. Then cap over the end with a plug or plastic cap off some drinks bottle.Jockey Handle 1.jpgjockey Handle 2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully a new knob will suffice as seem to be described as ‘push fit’ for 8.00 on EBay if this matches the cracked one, or the steel ‘arm’ with knob attached reduced to 5.00 currently. I googled as John suggested above.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is it "vertically" cracked as opposed to horizontally, as I was thinking about wrapping it tightly with multi turns of insulting tape holding it firmly together, at least till or when a "proper" repair might be made?

When I have a few minutes later today I will look for you on how our 150 kg hitch one is made, to better understand how I would get round it if I had not my workshop to simply turn up my own replacement.

Thanks. It is vertically cracked. Caravan is a 2018 model.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
If the caravan is currently at the dealer then why not give the dealer a bell and check if they stock a replacement or, failing that, the size knob you need.

Surely that's a "fireproof" way of getting hold of the information you need?

Failing that wait until the van no longer at the dealer and take it from there!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the caravan is currently at the dealer then why not give the dealer a bell and check if they stock a replacement or, failing that, the size knob you need.

Surely that's a "fireproof" way of getting hold of the information you need?

Failing that wait until the van no longer at the dealer and take it from there!
I agree, but getting through to the right person at the dealer is a nightmare plus I probably pay dealer prices, :D

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If it is proving difficult to use, try getting a plastic cup or plastic bottle bottom to place over the top of the handle as a temporary fix.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts