Alco wheel lock

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Will be getting a new caravan in 2 weeks it is supplied with an Alco wheel lock seem to think that there can be problems fitting this Any help Re its use would be great thanks

Cheers John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If your new caravan is single axle you shouldn't have too many problems John, owners of t/a caravans can have trouble lining up the receivers on both wheels.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As Parksy said fitting on a single axle is no problem; but I would add providing you remember about it before unhitching. That way you can easily with the help of a partner and the tow vehicle stop with the wheel in exactly the right place.

We use a permutation of the knotted hankie trick; just tie a ribbon on the hitch handle on coupling up before towing. Then when I get out to uncouple I remember I should have asked the wife to check the wheel first! Oh and to remember the ribbon clip that on the winder with a peg. [Have thought of just leaving a big fat cable tie on permanently.]

Even after all that it will 90% of the time be the "valve" gap that's the nearest, the only one you cant use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Parksy said fitting on a single axle is no problem; but I would add providing you remember about it before unhitching. That way you can easily with the help of a partner and the tow vehicle stop with the wheel in exactly the right place.

We use a permutation of the knotted hankie trick; just tie a ribbon on the hitch handle on coupling up before towing. Then when I get out to uncouple I remember I should have asked the wife to check the wheel first! Oh and to remember the ribbon clip that on the winder with a peg. [Have thought of just leaving a big fat cable tie on permanently.]

Even after all that it will 90% of the time be the "valve" gap that's the nearest, the only one you cant use.
The valve or the balancing weight!!

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
We are thinking of getting the same wheel lock for our new van as it has the bit you lock it onto on the van already.

I imagine we could use the motor mover to align the hole properly but isn't it a bit tricky to do this when you have to use a levelling block under the wheel on the same side?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I experienced nothing but hassle with my Alko scratching my lovely new alloy wheels into the bargain - I suggest you look at something like the Excalibur instead - it fits into the alko receiver if you want to use it but it also comes with its own receiver which is MUCH easier to fit at half the price - after a long hard tow to get to your site or home do you really want to be moving your van 1/8" of an inch backwards/forwards to exactly lign up the hole - also if you have to put the wheel on blocks ligning up the threaded hole will drive you mental. My insurance company recognises the Excalibur and has given my the same discount as the Alko so I am happy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I experienced nothing but hassle with my Alko scratching my lovely new alloy wheels into the bargain - I suggest you look at something like the Excalibur instead - it fits into the alko receiver if you want to use it but it also comes with its own receiver which is MUCH easier to fit at half the price - after a long hard tow to get to your site or home do you really want to be moving your van 1/8" of an inch backwards/forwards to exactly lign up the hole - also if you have to put the wheel on blocks ligning up the threaded hole will drive you mental. My insurance company recognises the Excalibur and has given my the same discount as the Alko so I am happy.
sorry I should say mine is a single axle.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The valve or the balancing weight!!
In our case the balance weights are all behind the spoke line so they don't foul up; thank goodness as the wheel is loaded with weights. Caravan tyres always seem to need a lot of balance weights.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
We currently have a Bulldog axle lock which fits our Pageant S7 perfectly. We hope it fits our Pegasus when it comes, as it is much easier to use than the Alko one. You can even use it in the gap with the tyre valve.

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
The Bulldog Max is easier to fit as it has no wheel specific segment but had to be withdrawn from the market due to a legal despute with Alko as it used their receiver. The result seems to be that insurance companies now only recognise the Alko and will usually give a discount of between 5 and 10% on premiums.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter - I think you will find that the Excalibur is the same

design as the original Bulldog and Yes my Insurance company does

(which is a major caravan ins co) recognise the Excalibur among a few others incl the Alko with a 10 pct reduction - this is not a segment specific bit of kit and you can use it in the the Alko reciever if you wish. I believe the latest Bulldog wheelock

is of a similar design.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter - I think you will find that the Excalibur is the same

design as the original Bulldog and Yes my Insurance company does

(which is a major caravan ins co) recognise the Excalibur among a few others incl the Alko with a 10 pct reduction - this is not a segment specific bit of kit and you can use it in the the Alko reciever if you wish. I believe the latest Bulldog wheelock

is of a similar design.
meant to say the Excablibur is of a similar design to the bulldog in first line

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
My well known insurance company has confirmed that it will give the discount for the Bulldog lock & to quote them 'an axle lock from any propiatory make' (not sure about my spelling there).

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
⇨ isn't it a bit tricky to do this when you have to use a levelling block under the wheel on the same side?

The solution is to buy the fiamma levelling blocks, which clip together like lego. Makes it a piece of cake.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
For what it must cost Alko to put a reciever on a chasis why dont they put them on both sides so if you do use chocks and have problems you can use the othes sides wheels ??

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi John

I have a twin axle and two alco wheel locks. to aid fitting I bought a kojack jack and fitted a jacking bracket supplied on each side of the van. when it comes to parking the van get your position correct first. simply put the kojack under the jacking point and within ten pumps of the handle both wheels are lifted off the floor. The wheels easily rotate and align to fit the locks.

If the van needs leveling on the side the locks are on, even better as all you do is slide the chocks straight under the raised wheels and then lower the van on to them. you very quickly learn how to judge the hight of the chocks.

If unfortunatly the van needs levelling on the other side, carry out fitting locks as above, then swop the jack to the other side lift the van and again place the chocks directly under the wheels and lower.

I really think people look for trouble with this type of lock however with a twin axle i find fitting quite straight forward and certanly for levelling I personnaly find jacking and placing the chocks directly under the wheels the easiest meathod.

I also have a nemisis wheel clamp and find it easier to jack the van fit the alcos and lower in less time than it takes to fit the nemisis.

Hope this helps

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Its no great problem with a levelling block. Now explaining how to do it is going to take a lot longer than actually doing it!

Pull up the block and note where the right lift is achieved. [Using spirit level to check van side is "vertical" whilst standing by the wheel]

[If the lock is not in right position] Come off the levelling block and remove it.

Move the van till wheel is in a right position for lock to fit, and mark this point on the ground. [I just place my spirit level on ground to mark the spot as its already in my hand]

Move van back and position levelling bock by the ground mark at the right height mark, then pull on block and fit lock.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Why has no-one come up with the idea of a leveling block with rollers in it,The rollers are locked into postion when moving onto them then you unlock them , the wheel will rotate freely on the block making it so easy to line the wheel up without jacking the van up?

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I believe all alternative locks have been removed from sale because of legal action taken by Alko and I also belive new vans are not equipped with the receiver unless supplied with the Alko lock at the same time. They have to be fitted as a complete unit.

I have the Alko on my 2009 Senator and have no problems as long as I remember to line up before levelling, I use the mover for this and its very easy. On uneven ground its a bit more tricky getting the alignment and height to coincide but seems to work with practice.

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
I believe all alternative locks have been removed from sale because of legal action taken by Alko and I also belive new vans are not equipped with the receiver unless supplied with the Alko lock at the same time. They have to be fitted as a complete unit.

I have the Alko on my 2009 Senator and have no problems as long as I remember to line up before levelling, I use the mover for this and its very easy. On uneven ground its a bit more tricky getting the alignment and height to coincide but seems to work with practice.
Our new bailey ranger GT has the receiving bit on the axle but not the lock itself - that only comes with the more expensive baileys

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Takes a couple of goes to get used to it but after that can fit and remove the lock really quickly.

Another benefit is the lock is really compact and lighter than the more traditional wheel clamps.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
If the Alko locks are part of the security supplied with the van as the alarm , if the van is left and they are not fitted does this affect your insurance ????? .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts