Alde 3020 heating system.

Oct 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone.
We have an Alde 3020 heating and water system in our Bailey and I've noticed that there is a constant drip coming from the round outlet/vent on the side,is this normal or should it be dry?Only just noticed it and not sure if it's always done this or if it's a fault.
Thanks for you help.
Ian.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi Ian.
I have the same system in my caravan. Can you confirm you are talking about a drip coming from the clear pipe on the heating fluid header tank which is usually located in a cupboard or wardrobe?
If it is dripping from this pipe then it shouldn’t be, as it is an air vent which allows the header tank to breathe as the fluid expands and contracts as it heats up and cools.
When the system is cold, check the level of the coolant in the header tank. It should be no more than 10mm above the minimum mark, not up to the maximum mark.
If it has been overfilled this would cause the drip.
I hope this is the simple answer to the problem.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi Paul,thanks for your reply.
No the leak is not coming from there,there is a round vent on the outside where the drip is coming from I've attached a photo so you can see it,thanks again.

Attachments

• 16649092319581486664401.jpg
    16649092319581486664401.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Is it only there, while actually running on gas?
If so, a possibility it is no more than condensation of the water vapour in the exhaust.

Exactly what I was going to say and thinking back I remember being in Northumberland when it dropped below freezing overnight and I had an icicle hanging from the vent when running on gas.

But, if you are still concerned, give Alde a ring on 01933 677765 and talk to them.
Their customer service is second to none.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
Visit site
Exactly what I was going to say and thinking back I remember being in Northumberland when it dropped below freezing overnight and I had an icicle hanging from the vent when running on gas.

But, if you are still concerned, give Alde a ring on 01933 677765 and talk to them.
Their customer service is second to none.
Thank you I shall check,I hadn't thought of that.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Oct 4, 2022
Visit site
Thank you I shall check,I hadn't thought of that.
Morning Paul. So it appears that it is condensation coming from the vent so thanks for your advise. Can I ask how often you need to top your fluid up please?We are in Northumberland and have been using the heating regularly at night and seem to be topping the fluid up once a week,does that sound normal to you?
Thanks for your advise.
Ian.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Morning Paul. So it appears that it is condensation coming from the vent so thanks for your advise. Can I ask how often you need to top your fluid up please?We are in Northumberland and have been using the heating regularly at night and seem to be topping the fluid up once a week,does that sound normal to you?
Thanks for your advise.
Ian.

No, topping up an established Alde system other than say once a year to cover evaporation is not "normal".
However, after a fluid change you might find after the first few really hot runs with that new charge of fluid you could need to add a little fluid to compensate for inevitable traces of dissolved air that the heating drives out.
Also, if you run too full the system will simply dump the excess as it expands when hot and decants that excess via the overflow and vent; experience suggests its best to live with a cold fluid level in the lower half of "full".

With the large volume of fluid we have in our systems and the small size of the header tank the fluid level will change a lot from cold to hot; simply understand that and don't be tempted to endlessly top up what looks low cold.

If those aside you are topping up regularly then you need to find the "leak".

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
Visit site
No, topping up an established Alde system other than say once a year to cover evaporation is not "normal".
However, after a fluid change you might find after the first few really hot runs with that new charge of fluid you could need to add a little fluid to compensate for inevitable traces of dissolved air that the heating drives out.
Also, if you run too full the system will simply dump the excess as it expands when hot and decants that excess via the overflow and vent; experience suggests its best to live with a cold fluid level in the lower half of "full".

With the large volume of fluid we have in our systems and the small size of the header tank the fluid level will change a lot from cold to hot; simply understand that and don't be tempted to endlessly top up what looks low cold.

If those aside you are topping up regularly then you need to find the "leak".
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me it's much appreciated. The system has recently been serviced and had a fluid change so I think it's probably what you said,as for topping up I've only done it when cold and always in between the min and max lines. Thanks again for your help,it's all a bit of a mine field when you first start out!
Ian.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I've only done it when cold and always in between the min and max lines.

Even that can readily be too zealous a topping up strategy, I suggest you refrain from going anything over mid-way "full".

The only immediate issue with the fluid being too low is the fluid can't be circulated by the pump, so whilst you have hot water you will not have space heating available, till it is topped up just enough for the pump to circulate the fluid.

Edit: two things in particular related to the fluid loss issue happen even when the system is not over filled and operating "normally".
Obviously the fluid heats up and with this the air in the header above the fluid. This air because of being on top of hot fluid and itself hot takes up much greater humidity, that is the water evaporates out of the fluid.
Both that air expands and so does the fluid, therefore some of that humid air together with the water it has picked up gets displaced out of the Adle vent. [unlike most cars that use a sealed system].
Then after use or lower heating demands things cool and the fluid shrinks, thus drawing local probably low humidity air into the header.
This endless cycling therefore progressively looses a trace of the fluid water which over a long period can be noticed. All we need to do in this case, which is not a leak, is top up with pure water, as the antifreeze and additives themselves are not lost. Topping up with mixture in the small quantities though will not have any real adverse effects.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me it's much appreciated. The system has recently been serviced and had a fluid change so I think it's probably what you said,as for topping up I've only done it when cold and always in between the min and max lines. Thanks again for your help,it's all a bit of a mine field when you first start out!
Ian.
Only top-up if the level is lower than 1cm above the MIN mark when cold, and then only up to that that level - if the level is above that, then excess evaporation will occur.

Reactions: Ian Elvidge
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Can I suggest that you locate the pump and make sure the setting is on 2 and not 5? Normally located next to the boiler. Next if you have a radiator with a bleed valve on top, lower the front as far as possible. After 5 -10 minutes open the valve to bleed the system of air. You may have to repeat this a few times until no more air escapes.

Reactions: Ian Elvidge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts