Alde and iBox

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Other forumeers might find the following of use

Inspired by Nigel Hutson’s article in issue 419 I treated myself to an early Christmas present and bought an iNet box to use with the Alde combi boiler in my Coachman caravan.( I didn’t buy the LevelControl device that monitors the gas level in a cylinder.) A SIM card was bought and “charged up” with £10 credit.
First problem – no installation instructions were supplied so I downloaded them from Truma’s website.
Second problem – the iNet box does not come with the data cable that connects it to the Alde boiler, so fitting had to wait a few days while that was delivered.
Installation itself was no problem. A permanent (but fused) 12v supply is required. The iBox itself was fastened to the inside wall of the bedbox fairly close to the boiler using sticky pads.
Downloading the App onto my mobile phone and getting it linked to the iBox by Bluetooth and GSM was simple. Then problem three appeared – the iBox did not recognise the existence of the boiler!
Eventually I rang up the tech dept at Alde who were very helpful. This lack of communication between the two devices is a known problem and is easily solved by reprogramming (their term – reflashing) the Alde control panel. However, this reflashing can only be done with the latest control panels that have red and yellow connectors inside and not two black connectors. Having removed the control panel before to fit a backup battery, I knew what to do and found that my control had the red and yellow connectors. The panel was sent to Alde who reflashed it FOC and sent it back by return of post.
The system works perfectly. I’m a happy (and warm) bunny!!
Mike

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mike_S said:

Inspired by Nigel Hutson’s article in issue 419 I treated myself to an early Christmas present and bought an iNet box to use with the Alde combi boiler in my Coachman caravan.( I didn’t buy the LevelControl device that monitors the gas level in a cylinder.) A SIM card was bought and “charged up” with £10 credit.
First problem – no installation instructions were supplied so I downloaded them from Truma’s website.
Second problem – the iNet box does not come with the data cable that connects it to the Alde boiler, so fitting had to wait a few days while that was delivered.
Installation itself was no problem. A permanent (but fused) 12v supply is required. The iBox itself was fastened to the inside wall of the bedbox fairly close to the boiler using sticky pads.
Downloading the App onto my mobile phone and getting it linked to the iBox by Bluetooth and GSM was simple. Then problem three appeared – the iBox did not recognise the existence of the boiler!
Eventually I rang up the tech dept at Alde who were very helpful. This lack of communication between the two devices is a known problem and is easily solved by reprogramming (their term – reflashing) the Alde control panel. However, this reflashing can only be done with the latest control panels that have red and yellow connectors inside and not two black connectors. Having removed the control panel before to fit a backup battery, I knew what to do and found that my control had the red and yellow connectors. The panel was sent to Alde who reflashed it FOC and sent it back by return of post.
Mike

Glad it turned out well, but not exact plug and play. What does this gizmo do?

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Mike_S said:

Mike

Hi Mike,

I’m glad that you got your iNet box working - eventually. I’m surprised that your kit didn’t include the lead to connect the box to the Alde boiler as I the one that I looked at at Truma did (they did say that you could get ones of different lengths from them for a “reasonable” price, but DO NOT use ones sourced elsewhere as they we likely not to be wired correctly. I did say in the article (well, my original piece that was submitted) that the Alde control panel needed to be post-2018 (which ours is), or as you have found, that the control panel can be updated. The easy way to see if the panel is compatible from the off is when you turn it on, it says “iNet Ready”. DdI you not get the installation booklet with your iNet box? Granted, the installation instructions given are pretty basic diagrams, but........

I’m pleased to hear that you got the control panel ‘flashed” by Alde. I have always found them to be exceptionally helpful too.

Another note of caution regarding the SIM. I had a Virgin SIM that I carried over from the Alde Smart Control that we had fitted to our previous caravan which worked perfectly in the iNet. However, when Virgin told me that they were stopping the PAYG and were going to charge £2 per day when the SIM was used, you might guess that I cancelled it. The next best SIM cost wise (bearing in mind that you only need to send text messages) was with 3. I just couldn’t get the thing to work and eventually spoke to the tech guys at Truma. They said that for some reason 3 SIM cards wouldn’t work but didn’t know why. I replaced that one with one that uses Vodaphone and it works perfectly.

In it’s simplest from the iNet can be used for controlling the caravan heating system remotely. For instance I was at the NEC show with only a 6A hook-up, so not wanting to waste gas by leaving the heating on, an hour or so before I returned to the caravan (when I remembered!!!) I sent a text message and turned the heating on. If you have air conditioning, it can control that too.

Nigel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phew, sounds like quite a lot of trouble to be able to turn on the heating remotely. Over the years I've had enough problems with basic stuff like water pumps and fridges to be glad these seem to have improved considerably. Fortunately - so far as I know - nobody has yet suggested or sold an i corkscrew

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nigel
Thanks for your reply. I was very surprised that the iBox came without cable. It also came unboxed - just in a plastic bag. I queried this with Prima (to get the CaMC discount!) - their reply - "that's how they come." Bought a genuine Truma cable from Leisure Shop Direct. I'm using an O2 PAYG sim which appears to be working fine.

OtherClive
Apart from allowing remote control of heating the iBox enable you to monitor other conditions. As I type this, I know at the caravan the inside temp is 9c, outside temp 7c, 230v off, caravan battery at 12.2v - perhaps time to turn the charger back on!

Yes, I know it's a gadget and I have caravanned now for over 60 years with it but it's nice to leave the theatre at Stratford knowing the caravan (usually) at Moreton in Marsh will be warm on arriving there!

Mike

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mike,

I’m afraid what Prima told you is not true of the units supplied by Truma. They are boxed and come with the wiring/cable/fuse holder required to make it work. Interesting.

I was lucky as the iNet and LevelControl came with our caravan (part of the show deal), so amongst the many other things the iNet can do, being able to check the gas level (% left, weight and estimated time left) is a bonus. I’m glad you’ve found it as useful as I have.

I will be at Truma next week, so I will ask about the kits that Prima are selling.

We’re off to York soon, so like you will find the remote control of various things useful.

Nigel.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Nigel. . Going slightly off topic. . With you being a gadget man, have you tried the "Alde voice" device which allows control of your heating by voice commands? . I've just fitted one and will be testing next week on our 6 night jaunt. .

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I am aware of the voice control, and am awaiting Alde contacting me when they’ve done a software update for it as they want me to try one for them. I’ll be interested to see how you get on with it and how it works.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Never knew what an iNet box was until I looked it up. I then found out it was a very over priced box so that you can play with your heating remotely. I think the ALDE Continuous hot water system is a better buy. :cheer:
BTW we had something very similar as a standard fitment in our 2016 caravan and never used it.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
Yes, I am aware of the voice control, and am awaiting Alde contacting me when they’ve done a software update for it as they want me to try one for them. I’ll be interested to see how you get on with it and how it works.

Our heating is already operated by voice commands. OH shouts, “ Mel turn the heating up” and I do.
Mel

• Haha
Reactions: Parksy and kiaboy

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Seriously though, are people really going to be sitting on their posteriors yelling at a heating system control panel that is less than 4 feet away. The world truly has gone mad
Mel

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Mel said:
NigelHutson said:

Our heating is already operated by voice commands. OH shouts, “ Mel turn the heating up” and I do.
Mel
Funny-ours works in much the same way with language sometimes rather less polite when the analalgue/organic input device (me) struggles with the settings and the timer ! :woohoo:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Buckman said:
Never knew what an iNet box was until I looked it up. I then found out it was a very over priced box so that you can play with your heating remotely. I think the ALDE Continuous hot water system is a better buy. :cheer:
BTW we had something very similar as a standard fitment in our 2016 caravan and never used it.

Got something similar at home. It knows when you leave for work and when you are on your return journey such that it will switch on the heating. But being retired for nearly twenty years now has totally confused HIVE. So in reality it is a glorified thermostat that if we can remember can be switched on using our mobiles either in house or on way back. But we always forget anyway.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Mike_S said:
Hi Nigel
Thanks for your reply. I was very surprised that the iBox came without cable. It also came unboxed - just in a plastic bag. I queried this with Prima (to get the CaMC discount!) - their reply - "that's how they come." Bought a genuine Truma cable from Leisure Shop Direct. I'm using an O2 PAYG sim which appears to be working fine.

Mike

Hi Mike,

As promised, I asked the question at Truma today. It seems there’s a bit (lot?) of confusion. If the supplier buys the iNet units in bulk (as per Prima Leisure) they are supplied in the bag as you found, and seemingly without the cable If the unit is purchased as a boxed unit (through your dealer as a single order) it’s likely to be a boxed unit containing the cable and everything (apart from the SIM) that you need!

As an aid, Truma are going to contact their sellers (bulk) to advise them to advise customers that they will need the data cable too.

Ah well, who said caravanning was easy?

Nigel.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
Mike_S said:
Hi Nigel

Mike

Hi Mike,

As promised, I asked the question at Truma today. It seems there’s a bit (lot?) of confusion. If the supplier buys the iNet units in bulk (as per Prima Leisure) they are supplied in the bag as you found, and seemingly without the cable If the unit is purchased as a boxed unit (through your dealer as a single order) it’s likely to be a boxed unit containing the cable and everything (apart from the SIM) that you need!

As an aid, Truma are going to contact their sellers (bulk) to advise them to advise customers that they will need the data cable too.

Ah well, who said caravanning was easy?

Nigel.

Surely common sense dictates that the data cable should be included? Like buying a car without a steering wheel.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nigel

Thanks for solving the box/no box mystery! I certainly agree with Buckman and his steering wheel analogy. It still strikes me as odd that a caravan can come with a spare wheel but no jack. At least, new caravans now come with a step and a hook-up lead so perhaps there is some progress, albeit slow,

Mike

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I quite agree, and I was very surprised when I was told that ones bought in bulk don’t. Using the steering wheel analogy, witnessing some vehicles being driven you might not be far off the mark! :whistle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts