ALDE Heating...... Gas OK, Electric Not

Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
So my Alde heating system has a problem.
Works fine on Gas. Hot water immerser switch provides plenty.
Problems is that when I try to set heating to run on Electric only, it doesn't heat up.
Not on 1kW - 3kW. I know electric isn't that great but even after 4-5 hrs its still cold.
I can hear the pump running and the tank in cupboard gurgles away and has sufficient fluid in it.
I have bled both the bathroom rad and the one at the door. They both run really hot on gas heating.
Visited dealer where I bought van, second hand, from and its either an element issue, which will require a return of whole unit it ALDE.
Or it could be a PCB issue. They would need a check to see what, if any, the the current draw was on 1kW, 2kW and 3kW.
Just looking for some useful info and possible things I can check.
They suggested the cost to replace the PCB would be around £400.

Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2011

Thanks for any ideas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Based on your description I concur, it will be either PCB or elements, but without further testing you cant tell which of the items is at fault. I don't know how easy it is to access the elements on the heater you have, but if you can access the electrical terminals of the elements and you know how to use a multimeter, you can determine if the elements have a reasonable resistance, or possibly establish if power is reaching them of not.

I have to advise dont attempt this unless you are both cmpetent and confident with using a multimeter.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think your unit has two elements. A 1 kw and a 2 kw. In this way the can switch 3 power choices.

For both elements to fail is improbable, therefore I would look for something common to both.

Fuses would be my first place to look at. Then sensors. Also the mains electric continuity to the boiler. Remember, the gas side will work with just a 12 volt input.

Others have had this problem, try looking at these.

One
Two
Three
Four

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts