Alde heating temp sensor

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi All,
A quick question... The Alde panel shows a temperature at least 2-3 degrees above a thermometer placed very close. There's no indication in the settings part that the sensor is remote, so I'm assuming it's built into the panel? The location isn't the most sensible, being close to the electrical sockets over the work surface in the kitchen, where the kettle is placed to boil.

I just wanted an idea before I potentially ask about a warranty repair. Any observations gratefully received...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to say I have looked for these sensors myself but never found one. I would try Alde's helpline as it could be a faulty sensor although I am not sure how accurate they are.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
If you work your way through the settings on the control panel, there is an offset where you can adjust the displayed temperature to correct/match a known accurate measurement (always assuming that your thermometer is correct of course?).

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
If you work your way through the settings on the control panel, there is an offset where you can adjust the displayed temperature to correct/match a known accurate measurement (always assuming that your thermometer is correct of course?).

Thank you! Will be down at the van tomorrow to clean all the dust blown over it by the gale...

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our Alde always read at least 3 degrees above the actual room temperature. We just set the temperature with this in mind.
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Must admit that never occurred to me but it makes sense. We have no idea how accurate the sensor is, we just adjust it up or down without worrying about the accuracy if we need to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem with graduating any space heating appliance with degrees, is that the temperature within a space is rarely consistent at all point within the space. Natural convection will result in air at the top of the space can be several degrees warmer than air at the bottom. Also depending on location of the heater the actual convection currents, it can be warmer on one side of a room than another, So when we say a room is at 22C, it could have a considerable range of temperatures in different parts in the room.

Other factors such as if the heat is fan assisted, or whether its using radiant energy can make a big difference.

So depending on where the heaters sensor is located , it could easily many degrees different to where you are.

I always advocated using a range of numbers not degrees for appliance designs to avoid legitimate complaint that a room does not meet the set number of degrees. It relied on the user to experiment and find a dial position that satisfied them whatever the temperature may be.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Been to the caravan today to give it a clean after the 700 mile round trip to Cornwall, and played with the temperature tuning. Seems better.

Prof, I understand your points but disagree. Were the wife and I to use a random scale she would still be too cold, and it's only when she sees it's "22C" for example, is she prepared to think it's OK.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
Been to the caravan today to give it a clean after the 700 mile round trip to Cornwall, and played with the temperature tuning. Seems better.

Prof, I understand your points but disagree. Were the wife and I to use a random scale she would still be too cold, and it's only when she sees it's "22C" for example, is she prepared to think it's OK.

But that all depends on where the sensor is. If its in a cool area she may feel warm enough, but if its in a warmer area she may feel cool.

I do agree there are a lot of psychological effects that can affect how we feel about a temperature.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The caravans are supposed to be tested at the Alde test centre to make sure the temperature is evened out. Having said that a degree or two difference between areas is inevitable. Personally I do not worry if the reading is accurate and just turn it up or down as needed.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
The problem with the Alde control panels is that the room temp sensor is within the panel. In my van the panel is near the door, so the rear, which has free airflow under the cover, is within an unheated overhead locker, and it always read lower than actual room temp. Alde do have a remote room temp sensor with the option of 2 flying lead lengths. This simply plugs into the Panel PCB in the marked place, and the sensor positioned wherever you see fit subject to the lead length, and the provided instructions. This is definitely an improvement, and perhaps easier than fiddling about with offset option in the menu which requires a bit of trial and error, plus an independent value such as that on some CO monitors.

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
I had the same problem on our lunar clubman, not only was the control by the door but it was to the side of the cooker and the cupboard that it was mounted to had a vent into it directly above the cooker. Not only could steam get in there but grease as well so to head off any problems, I blanked the vent and fitted a remote sensor.
More details can be seen here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts