Alde hot water on the panel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Alde is a Truma company and Truma can come with its controls that the non technical might find simiarly challenging to understand. LINK

Things have moved on somewhat from the rudimentary Truma and Carver convection based units, even those with an add on blower.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've had good heating and hotwater from both hot air and wet systems in both caravans and domestic systems, but the installation needs to be done properly.

As for the alde heating the system will not use any power provided you have the set point below the measured value. And the domestic hot water turned off.

Just check the mains current consumption to confirm what I'm saying.

I use metered sites so pay for my electricity.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As for the alde heating the system will not use any power provided you have the set point below the measured value. And the domestic hot water turned off.

You might like to contemplate on what energy then keeps the Alde boiler's two fluids, inhibited and fresh water, up to the internal thermostat setting? These are not instantaneous boilers.
Believe it or not some "energy" is needed, as hot things from the beginning of time have this irresistible tendence to cool.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
You might like to contemplate on what energy then keeps the Alde boiler's two fluids, inhibited and fresh water, up to the internal thermostat setting? These are not instantaneous boilers.
Believe it or not some "energy" is needed, as hot things from the beginning of time have this irresistible tendence to cool.
I monitor the swift mains ammeter and don't see any current with the setpoint below the measured value, provided the hot water is not selected.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I monitor the swift mains ammeter and don't see any current with the setpoint below the measured value, provided the hot water is not selected.

Monitor kWh "energy" used, then you will not keep missing those intermittent periods where current flows, which here equates to "power" being used.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
If that's how it works why do we get cold water when the the Ch hasn't been circulating all day.
And the hot water is selected off.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If that's how it works why do we get cold water when the the Ch hasn't been circulating all day.

Because the temp requested is below the ambient temperature. The heating will not come on simply because it is not required and the hot water will also not come on as that is not requested, ‘turned off’. However. And I think this is what some are puzzled with. Should the thermostat cut in, the heating will work. But, despite the hot water being turned ‘off’. You will still have hot water.
Personally I would not look at OFF as meaning off literally, merely not prioritised or automated.

See the picture of the instructions in post 13

5709CF6F-73F5-4B30-BFBE-0F33DE5990E8.jpeg

John

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

Reading more modern control panel manuals suggests that what you are seeing is right, explaining why you get cold water.
Basically, the Alde boiler is not "on", only the control panel is "armed" and able to switch on the boiler when it needs to.

They have added the water off mode, and in that particular if heating is also not required, then it simply realises the boiler is not needed, so that does not get switched "on".
In this mode the control panel, as always when that is "on", monitors the space temperature and users' settings, only then switching the boiler "on" when it needs to satisfy a space heating requirement.

In this mode, there is a user decision no hot water would be needed, and with the boiler "off", indeed there is no hot water or with it the normal drain on energy.

As an aside I can envisage this mode being of greatest use more as a frost stat, only draining other than the miniscule control panel's energy, unless heating is needed. A distinct attribute to avoid the boiler's inherent drain in its "normal" mode through the many winter hours no heating to avoid freezing is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As an aside I can envisage this mode being of greatest use more as a frost stat, only draining other than the miniscule control panel's energy, unless heating is needed. A distinct attribute to avoid the boiler's inherent drain in its "normal" mode through the many winter hours no heating to avoid freezing is required.

I have been trying to think of a situation whereby there was a point to turning the hot water off. Normally if you are using the van, hot water is a requirement.

But as a frost prevention it may make sense. However, normally if frost was expected. The water would be drained anyway.

John

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Because the temp requested is below the ambient temperature. The heating will not come on simply because it is not required and the hot water will also not come on as that is not requested, ‘turned off’. However. And I think this is what some are puzzled with. Should the thermostat cut in, the heating will work. But, despite the hot water being turned ‘off’. You will still have hot water.
Personally I would not look at OFF as meaning off literally, moly not prioritised Or automated.

See the picture of the instructions in post 13

View attachment 2686

John
Correct that's how it works.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
JTQ, with respect, that's not quite right. The central heating and hot water system of the Alde boiler are separate. This is how you can run the heating without a fresh water supply being connected. On the Alde control panel you can turn the hot water off by pressing the shower head symbol.

Hells70: Below is a link to s short video which explains the functions of he control panel.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJmPeiltGAU

I now have a refillable SafeFill LPG bottle and I tend to start the heating on gas and when it's warmed up switch over to electricity. On a recent stay on a CL with a 10Kw per day electricity cap we had the heating set to 21° in the morning for a couple of hours and then from about 4pm in the afternoon to 10:30pm when I turned it down to 16°.
For a 12 night stay I paid £3 for the electricity I'd used over the cap. :)

The video was an Alde 3020, you might be able to have more control on those. we have a 3010 you always got hot water when it was turned on.

Apr 3, 2023
Visit site
It's seems correct that if the central heating fluid surrounds the domestic hot water tank then heat will be transferred thus heating the hot water. For this not to happen would require a good amount of re-design by Alde.

The control panel is quite misleading in that it is easy to assume that if the hot water symbol is 'greyed out' then you have no hot water, especially if you have no basic technical knowledge of how the system works.

From experience I found out that after assuming no hot water I found the temperature to be scalding from the tap in the shower room just in time before my 5 year old grandchild went in to wash her hands before tea !! The CH temperature was set at 20 degrees.

I think that this safety problem situation needs addressing by Alde by furnishing a warning to their outlets and consumers.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The user manual probably removes having to "assume" how their system works and how its control panel, displays the status.

Alde have addressed the very high temperatures that are inevitaby reached in the domestic water system; they sell various thermostatic mixers for that very issue.

It would be down to your van builder to decide if they wanted that feature from Alde, or source one of the many alternatives, it would seem they chose not to.

In other applications it is a legal requirement to do so; here in private leisure caravans scolding users is an accepted risk.
I think it should not be acceptable by mandate.

The water has to be scolding hot in storage to counter another risk, one of bacterial infection. a respiratory example, "Legionnaires". However, the use of thermostatic valves corrects that at user outlets.

Some caravanners add thermostatic valves to their vans for reasons of safety or convenience, eg showers.

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
All I have suggested is that they warn us of the risk of scalding in the first instance without going into all that.

Probably best the van builder sticks a label by the user outlets, it seems all owners, let alone users don't read manuals.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I completely agree that the hot water in caravans is too hot for safety particularly if kids are around. I understand why. Legionnaires, and improving capacity by raising the temperature.

I think manufacturers should be legally made to fit a thermostatic mixer valve as in domestic properties. But at the very least put the danger of scalding signs close to taps.

The Alde display is very misleading regarding ‘warm water’. When grayed out it simply means that the heating pump will run as per the room-stat. When lit, the pump is canceled for a short time to concentrate heat into the hot water for showers. The instructions do cover this but could be much clearer.

It is for the caravan manufacturer to make any dangers clear. But Alde could be better in this respect. (imo).

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Old Un
Whilst it is a good idea to use the forum to warn other users of a possible problem, but your complaint should really be directed to the caravan manufacturers and Alde directly. We have no idea if the manufacturers read this forum or not.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I cannot see how putting something in the manual, or a label by the taps is a suitable solution. Firstly children aren’t likely to read the manual, secondly the younger child may not be able to read, or to really comprehend what the label is saying, thirdly labels come detached.

There is an easy answer, but it’s a shame the caravan makers choose to ignore it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
When grayed out it simply means that the heating pump will run as per the room-stat. When lit, the pump is canceled for a short time to concentrate heat into the hot water for showers. The instructions do cover this but could be much clearer.

These are the specifics from my manual, a 3010.

Quoting:
"6. Warm water
If you need more warm water you can increase the quantity temporarily for 30 minutes by increasing the water temperature from 50°C to 65°C. When 30 minutes have elapsed, the water temperature returns to 50°C and the symbol goes out. When you have selected more warm water, the circulation pump stops."

In the case referred to, I suspect if in the recent or colder times with the quoted 20C CH setting, the system would automatically be free to work up towards its highest possible set coolant temperature (80C), simply to achieve that.
Quoting:
"System temperature
The boiler is set to a system temperature of 80°C, i.e. the temperature of the glycol fluid as it circulates in the heating system."

The ramifications as I have found in winter use is the water can be dangerously too hot. Hence my belief that for this private leisure use, the control of outlet water temperatures should be mandated as can be the case by law elsewhere.
A legal obligation on the van builder; Adle etc make the kit required just builders are not here legally required to use it.
I suspect, tragically it will need a successful high-profile negligence claim for scalding before anyone law or otherwise starts acting responsibly.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not ALDE's problem. Not sure if anyone can blame the caravan manufacturer either as surely people should use common sense and check before sticking their hands under a hot water top? Why do so many people want to be in a nanny cocoon?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts