alko aks hitch problems

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Just wondering if anybody else has a problem with the alko aks 3400 hitch being very hard to push down, all my vans that have had this hitch have been fine but my fathers hitch is so stiff you have to stand on it to engage it. we have tried stripping it down and cleaning all the parts including the friction pads and have now replaced the friction pads but still it refuses to engage without great force. we have also tried changing the tow ball but still no result, totally baffled as its not really that technical a product but its defeated me this time, any ideas other than throw it away ?.

Sep 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi I too had this problem with my alko hitch, as you say it got to the stage where you had to stand on it to get it to engage. I feared breaking it but it did still seem to function when towing. The good news is it is repairable. When I put my caravan in for its service a couple of months ago, I told the engineer in passing. When I picked it up I asked if they had managed to sort the hitch, apparantly it needed new bearings inside as the old ones had siezed. But not something they come across often. Hope this helps.

Roger

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
thanks roger, the van is due a service this month so my father has decided to let glossop repair the hitch. we will mention the bearings to them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts