ALKO ATC did good

Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
Just back from a lovely few days at Tantallon Caravan Park, North Berwick.
Event free until the last leg coming down M77. On inside lane, south of the Newton Mearns interchange. Travelling about 50-55 mph.
Got passed by a Transit pickup, who pulled in maybe a hit early, but nothing dramatic.
Short distance on and a 12ft 6" x 2" flew off the back straight towards us.
Braked heavily and swerved to hard shoulder. Didn't fancy it coming through the window.
COMPLETELY forgot I had a 1500kg caravan on the back until I remembered.
Actually wasn't that hard to control the tail happy sway, thanks to having the ALKO ATC system fitted. Never been so happy to have a "driver" aid fitted to a caravan. It really does work.
Must have for us.

May 3, 2023
Visit site
Just back from a lovely few days at Tantallon Caravan Park, North Berwick.
Event free until the last leg coming down M77. On inside lane, south of the Newton Mearns interchange. Travelling about 50-55 mph.
Got passed by a Transit pickup, who pulled in maybe a hit early, but nothing dramatic.
Short distance on and a 12ft 6" x 2" flew off the back straight towards us.
Braked heavily and swerved to hard shoulder. Didn't fancy it coming through the window.
COMPLETELY forgot I had a 1500kg caravan on the back until I remembered.
Actually wasn't that hard to control the tail happy sway, thanks to having the ALKO ATC system fitted. Never been so happy to have a "driver" aid fitted to a caravan. It really does work.
Must have for us.
Caught high kerb once swerving to avoid debris I also worked a treat for me
Regards john

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Totally agree. Could have been brown trousers for Davyayr.
Shame the NCC don’t make it mandatory for their member manufacturers to fit ATC on all caravans.
Do they all need it? I have a very long draw bar on my Adria, no ATC fitted and never had a sniff of instability or heard of other owners having an issue.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Do they all need it? I have a very long draw bar on my Adria, no ATC fitted and never had a sniff of instability or heard of other owners having an issue.
If like the OP, and myself, you were ever "forced" into a violent, collision avoiding action, amounting to an "Elk Test", you would I am confident then have a quite different take.
Good as passive design features might be in aiding stability, the active stabilising of AL-KO's ATC [and other brands] raise the stability control to another level.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts