Alko ATC trailer control

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Has anyone had any experience with this system? Is it an advantage to have when towing & does it work? My interest is due to it being an option on the new van we're considering buying & apparently it only takes 15mins to fit at the new assembly stage. Comments would be welcome please.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't have the AlKo ATC but basically the same system from the competition, the LEAS unit. It is absolutely uncanny! There is absolutely no way you can get the outfit to snake. When deliberately throwing the caravan around on a deserted car park, it cut in as soon as instability occurred and pulled the caravan straight again. It does not have the same limitations as a normal stabiliser which can only reduce the likelihood of a snake but cannot get the unit back under control if the worst does happen.

Jun 1, 2007
Visit site
Wish it had been available last year before we wrote off a Bailey Indiana when it jack-knifed on M25.Definetly investing in this system on replacement caravan.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyboby.

I gave my details to the Alko stand at the NEC and impatiently await them to contact me to arrange fitting.

Has anyone who left their details at the NEC been contacted by Alko?

They don't seem eager to sell and fit their new device.

Brum

Reactions: Galgo slave
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Had our first trip out with the Swift this weekend.

Plugged in and ATC whirred into action. Green light went steady and off we went.

Whilst you wouldn't know its there, the reassurance that it is there is worth every penny of the

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have it on our new Wyoming. My previous caravans never had it and I can't say we ever experienced any snaking. My last car had all the electronic stability devices and I never noticed them either. It must be good however that if a snake did develop the ATC will kick in and stabilise everything, or so AlKo say. I guess it's like a match. Until you strike it you don't know if it will work??

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's always possible to try to induce a deliberate snake and experience for yourself how the car's ESP and/or caravan's ATC reacts (This is something to be attempted only by an experienced caravanner and even then only on a wide open space, but it's a reassuring feeling.)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

I haven't got the bal-s to do that ! I think I'll rely on Alko's promise that it works. I am sure it does and agree with the others it is another comfort factor, but not one where I will push my rig over the limit.

Cheers

Alan

Aug 11, 2006
Visit site
Hello.

At the NEC, a bloke from the University of Bath said they he'd tested ATC to whether it worked. There's something about it in January issue of the magazine, along with some stuff about car stability control.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hang on a minute....

If the 'van's loaded correctly....

Driven properly....within speed limits/according to weather conditions...

Is well maintained...

Surely this gizmo isn't really necessary?

I've found that caravanning is one of those hobbies that involves an endless list of 'must haves'....

Mac

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What is or is not a 'must have' is relative. By the same argument one could ask whether cars need to have ABS brakes, air bags, ESP, energy absorbing steering columns, 'crunch' zones or all the other technical 'goodies' associated with vehicle safety that one takes for granted nowadays.

Nov 30, 2007
Visit site
I dont know all these experienced caravanners who have been towing for god knows how many years and suddenly you need a gizmo to stop snaking. Tow at the legal speed limits and at a speed, road and weather conditions dictate. If a van is loaded correctly and the maintenance is up to date,IE tyre pressures ETC no one should have any problems. The caravan industry makes enough money out of us already. DONT FEED THIER GREED.

• Love
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If one sticks to all the recommendations for good and safe driving and nobody, including fellow drivers, ever makes a mistake, you might have a point. However, we don't live in such a perfect world and chances are that some day, no matter how careful you have been, you will be faced with an unforeseen emergency situation where you'll be thankful for all the safety features that have found their way into car and caravan design.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
I disagree.

I have ordered ATC on my new 'van which is due to be built next week.

I am an experienced caravanner, will be towing at a ratio of 75%, will be using an Alko stabiliser and am having shock absorbers transferred from my current 'van. I load carefully, check tyre pressures etc BUT still see ATC as a useful add on. None of us know what we are going to meet out on the road, from a car pulling out in front of you to a freak cross wind. ATC could make the difference in such a situation so to me it is worth the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with your post in its entirety FAB. We've ordered the ATC on our new van, due in March & consider it good value for 'peace of mind'

You 'pays your money & makes your choice'

If you don't feel the need, don't buy it, but it's not a matter of a 'must have' it's a case of common sense in my view.

As Lutz said earlier, why do we have ABS etc?!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back in 1976 my first little caravan a Swift , had no stabilisers at all. I remember buying a Scott stabiliser which just gave me confidence. Now we all take for granted the various Alko / Winterhoff stabilisers built into the hitch mechanism. I think ATC is the next step up. Hopefully it will never come into play but I fel more secure having it, just in case??

Cheers

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts