ALKO Axle

MDT

Aug 9, 2024
Visit site
I have a 2013 Bailey I am told that my ALKO Axle is beginning to get 'soft' and will need to be replaced at some point. Can I get it repaired?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2013 Bailey I am told that my ALKO Axle is beginning to get 'soft' and will need to be replaced at some point. Can I get it repaired?
There’s a company in Scotland, Fraser Brown, who recondition axles, but Alko no longer provide that service. With a Alko, or other suppliers of Alko axles you get a brand new one with complete brake assemblies. With FB you have to have the axle removed for consignment. If you search on “ relaxed axle” you will see lots of stuff related to your problem. I went for a new replacement from Alko but even that wasn’t too straightforward as neither Swift nor Alko could identify my axle for replacement despite sending them photos of the bar code, labels etc on the failed axle. In the end the van had to be lifted and several dimensions measured before Alko would accept the order from a Swift dealership. Cottage industry springs to mind.

MDT

Aug 9, 2024
Visit site
There’s a company in Scotland, Fraser Brown, who recondition axles, but Alko no longer provide that service. With a Alko, or other suppliers of Alko axles you get a brand new one with complete brake assemblies. With FB you have to have the axle removed for consignment. If you search on “ relaxed axle” you will see lots of stuff related to your problem. I went for a new replacement from Alko but even that wasn’t too straightforward as neither Swift nor Alko could identify my axle for replacement despite sending them photos of the bar code, labels etc on the failed axle. In the end the van had to be lifted and several dimensions measured before Alko would accept the order from a Swift dealership. Cottage industry springs to mind.
Thanks for that. I can understand that ALCO only supply to a manufacturer but Swift should have the information on record!! Makes me wonder if I would buy from a company who do not keep basic information for there customers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that. I can understand that ALCO only supply to a manufacturer but Swift should have the information on record!! Makes me wonder if I would buy from a company who do not keep basic information for there customers
No Alko supplied to my dealer who wasn’t the original caravan supplier. They would have supplied to me but getting a business to fit it was a hassle. You can buy the axle from Western Towing providing you are confident of dimensions and part number.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I think by the time I pay for a repair I might as well get it replaced, annoying but thats life
Fraser Brown claim that their refurbishment is better than new as they use higher spec components - but they would say that anyway - a 1500kg axle would be refurbished as an 1800kg axle BUT without going through expensive recertification the caravan's MTPLM would remain at 1500kg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts