ALKO Axle

MDT

Aug 9, 2024
Visit site
I have a 2013 Bailey I am told that my ALKO Axle is beginning to get 'soft' and will need to be replaced at some point. Can I get it repaired?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2013 Bailey I am told that my ALKO Axle is beginning to get 'soft' and will need to be replaced at some point. Can I get it repaired?
There’s a company in Scotland, Fraser Brown, who recondition axles, but Alko no longer provide that service. With a Alko, or other suppliers of Alko axles you get a brand new one with complete brake assemblies. With FB you have to have the axle removed for consignment. If you search on “ relaxed axle” you will see lots of stuff related to your problem. I went for a new replacement from Alko but even that wasn’t too straightforward as neither Swift nor Alko could identify my axle for replacement despite sending them photos of the bar code, labels etc on the failed axle. In the end the van had to be lifted and several dimensions measured before Alko would accept the order from a Swift dealership. Cottage industry springs to mind.

MDT

Aug 9, 2024
Visit site
There’s a company in Scotland, Fraser Brown, who recondition axles, but Alko no longer provide that service. With a Alko, or other suppliers of Alko axles you get a brand new one with complete brake assemblies. With FB you have to have the axle removed for consignment. If you search on “ relaxed axle” you will see lots of stuff related to your problem. I went for a new replacement from Alko but even that wasn’t too straightforward as neither Swift nor Alko could identify my axle for replacement despite sending them photos of the bar code, labels etc on the failed axle. In the end the van had to be lifted and several dimensions measured before Alko would accept the order from a Swift dealership. Cottage industry springs to mind.
Thanks for that. I can understand that ALCO only supply to a manufacturer but Swift should have the information on record!! Makes me wonder if I would buy from a company who do not keep basic information for there customers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that. I can understand that ALCO only supply to a manufacturer but Swift should have the information on record!! Makes me wonder if I would buy from a company who do not keep basic information for there customers
No Alko supplied to my dealer who wasn’t the original caravan supplier. They would have supplied to me but getting a business to fit it was a hassle. You can buy the axle from Western Towing providing you are confident of dimensions and part number.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I think by the time I pay for a repair I might as well get it replaced, annoying but thats life
Fraser Brown claim that their refurbishment is better than new as they use higher spec components - but they would say that anyway - a 1500kg axle would be refurbished as an 1800kg axle BUT without going through expensive recertification the caravan's MTPLM would remain at 1500kg.

Jun 13, 2024
Visit site
Just had my Swift done a few months back. £1250 was the rough cost. I also had a full service done at the same time. I found out about axle problem when i took to and official Swift repairer to check the water ingress issue.

Reactions: Hutch
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
If Alko supply axles/chassis to the caravan manufacturers specification then they fit thier body on the alko chassis with a minimum amount of tolerance with regard to any added weight does the blame of axle failure fall on the Alko or the caravan manufacturers lack understanding that end users may want to put accessories such as gas bottles, battery,spare wheel plus even a change of clothes 🙂

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This is well worth a read.

I’ve seen nothing since other than the usual,hard luck stories.

As many on here know there is a real life problem but proving it has been impossible.

Surely there is someone with better knowledge who can prove these axles are not fit for purpose?? A real shame because the attitude of Al-ko and the caravan manufacturers is so negative. In the real world they wouldn’t get away with it😥😥

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If Alko supply axles/chassis to the caravan manufacturers specification then they fit thier body on the alko chassis with a minimum amount of tolerance with regard to any added weight does the blame of axle failure fall on the Alko or the caravan manufacturers lack understanding that end users may want to put accessories such as gas bottles, battery,spare wheel plus even a change of clothes 🙂
Probably poor design by caravan manufacturer not fully taking into account tolerances and safety margins. Why was it that only Baileys seem to have been loosing wheels or have axle issues?

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Probably poor design by caravan manufacturer not fully taking into account tolerances and safety margins. Why was it that only Baileys seem to have been loosing wheels or have axle issues?
It’s not only Bailey that have had axle issues. Three have been reported on this Forum, I’m one of them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Each manufacturer is responsible to ensure the products they make or assemble with perform satisfactorily against the specifications they have established for their product.

In the context of your posting, that means the chassis manufacturer must ensure their chassis will safely carry the load they specify it can.

In the context of tha caravan manufacturer, the body and other fittings they use, they must be of a design suited to the use they will be put to, this includes the chassis which must have the capacity to carry the body fittings and upto the caravans specified loaded margin.

The problem with the reports of failed axles is the actual conditions in which they have been used is difficult for any one to prove, and thus who takes ultimate liability when a failure occurs.

There is the possibility th eend user may have either exceeded to load on the axle, or may have towed the caravan over unsuitable surfaces which has damaged the axle. Its also possible the user may have sited the caravan on sufficiently uneven ground and the act of leveling the caravan has imposes an excess load on the chassis.

Assuming this is a retail sale, the dealer is the contractually liable to the customer for all defects in the products they sell, regardless of any additional benefits or limitations provided by manufacturers warrantees or insurance policies. That is defined under the Consumer Rights Act.

The caravan manufacturer may have produced a design which which causes significantly uneven loading on one side.

The chassis manufacturer may have got their design or manufacturing wrong, or the components they use have been substandard.

In situations like this its nigh on impossible for the end user to prove where the actual liability rests, and that is why claims for failed axles are always bounced between organisations, and unfortunately it's the consumer who is least able to avoid being blamed for overloading or over using the caravan.

It a flawed process, which sadly does seem to stacked against the consumer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It really is a bleak mid winter for the caravanner.

I believe the majority of pot hole damage caused to vehicles relates to the wheels and tyres. Suspension issues do not appear very often. Under the Freedom of Information Act it may be worth asking the Local Authorities what % pothole claims relate to tyres / wheels and what the rest are?

My MTPLM is 1649 kgs. Each of the two axles are labelled by Al-ko at one tonne. Capacity. Perhaps some of the singles don’t have the same margin? There again I would expect the safety margin to be in excess of one tonne.
It seems Al-ko offer no leeway. Is that correct? ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I believe the majority of pot hole damage caused to vehicles relates to the wheels and tyres. Suspension issues do not appear very often. Under the Freedom of Information Act it may be worth asking the Local Authorities what % pothole claims relate to tyres / wheels and what the rest are?

My MTPLM is 1649 kgs. Each of the two axles are labelled by Al-ko at one tonne. Capacity. Perhaps some of the singles don’t have the same margin? There again I would expect the safety margin to be in excess of one tonne.
I am sure that Alko like all other chassis manufactures will specify their chassis at a static maximum load, in the knowledge that under driving conditions those static load limits will be exceeded by the dynamic loads. I do not know what Peak margin they include, and whether the percentage margin differs across their range of caravan chassis's.

Equally I don't know what testing caravan manufacturers do to validate the choice of chassis components they fit to each model of caravan. I suspect the caravan manufacturers rely heavily on the chassis manufacturers expertise and claimed specifications. rather than testing each model type to destruction.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

My grandsons 5 series with run flats has had 5 new tyres and one alloy repaired since early 2023. Fortunately he took out a Motor Easy policy which has paid for all of the replacements and the repair of the alloy. But the car’s suspension is okay as it was MoT a couple of months back.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I doubt whether the true MTPLM of your caravan is 1649kg. What does the statutory plate quote as its MTPLM and what does that same plate quote as maximum permissible axle loads (not what’s on the axle labels)?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I doubt whether the true MTPLM of your caravan is 1649kg. What does the statutory plate quote as its MTPLM and what does that same plate quote as maximum permissible axle loads (not what’s on the axle labels)?
Firstly apologies my error. The MTPLM IS 1678 kgs. Hers a photo of the plate . No other plates at all. It is 15 years old.
IMG_0049.jpeg

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Firstly apologies my error. The MTPLM IS 1678 kgs. Hers a photo of the plate . No other plates at all. It is 15 years old.

OK. If it's 15 years old it was built before whole vehicle type approval came into effect for caravans so it won't have a statutory plate. Bailey, however, were noted for getting the details on their statutory plates wrong. They didn't seem to understand the requirements and the difference between what's on the label by the door and what is laid down in legislation.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I believe the majority of pot hole damage caused to vehicles relates to the wheels and tyres. Suspension issues do not appear very often. Under the Freedom of Information Act it may be worth asking the Local Authorities what % pothole claims relate to tyres / wheels and what the rest are?...
Broken springs come to mind. my BIL owns a garage and he will tell you the rate of spring breakage rose dramatically with the introduction of speed road safety humps, and also as the condition of the roads deteriorates.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Broken springs come to mind. my BIL owns a garage and he will tell you the rate of spring breakage rose dramatically with the introduction of speed road safety humps, and also as the condition of the roads deteriorates.
This note from the RAC surprised me

The RAC reports that the number of pothole-related breakdowns it attended in 2023 increased by a third to almost 30,000 incidents, and is calling on the government to set out clear guidance for local authorities to tackle the problem.

Obviously includes wheels , tyres and suspension. Seems to me a considerable amount of money is involved. Has anyone tried to follow up,their collapsed axle claim with the LA?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This note from the RAC surprised me

The RAC reports that the number of pothole-related breakdowns it attended in 2023 increased by a third to almost 30,000 incidents, and is calling on the government to set out clear guidance for local authorities to tackle the problem.

Obviously includes wheels , tyres and suspension. Seems to me a considerable amount of money is involved. Has anyone tried to follow up,their collapsed axle claim with the LA?
Difficulty on that one is when a car hits a pothole you get a rapid notification if something has gone wrong. Whereas with a caravan axle sinking it won’t be so obvious. Mine towed very well even with its offside lower.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Difficulty on that one is when a car hits a pothole you get a rapid notification if something has gone wrong. Whereas with a caravan axle sinking it won’t be so obvious. Mine towed very well even with its offside lower.
You would think the car may hit the pothole first maybe?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You would think the car may hit the pothole first maybe?
It may well do but are you likely to pull over and check the caravan. One option could be a dash cam as ours respond to potholes and freeze the previous three minutes with location and time. If the van is subsequently found to have an issue you could try using the dash cam footage against the council.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts