Alko Blue Shock Absorbers for Bailety Ranger: anyone fitted t...

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have bought a pair of Alko blue Octagon shocks. They have been fitted before but never used. They came with the brackets attached and I understand that the arrow has to be up.

I have the Alko fitting leaflet but it isn't that clear apart from the torque settings!

I am hoping someone who has fitted some to a 2006 Bailey Ranger (bubbles) can list points for me as I want to fit them without jacking up or removing a wheel.

Which hole does the top bolt go through?

Is there a problem with my having already fitted Rhyno movers(in front of the wheel)?

Any other points?

Thanks in anticipation.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Had blue shocks on a 2007 Ranger 460/4 with a Reich mover. Dealer fitted them but no problem with the mover. The shocks have now been transferred to our 2008 Pageant Majestic.

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
If you look at the Alko website it will tell you how to set the measurement for fitting them.
Yes, that is where I started, but it is unclear and doesn't relate to Bailey Ranger. It also expects me to jack up and remove the wheel and use their measurements. I know others have fitted them to the Ranger without removing the wheel so I was looking for comments from them!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The instructions are not very helpful and as I posted earlier I used the centre hol and also didn't need to remove the wheel etc

The Ranger is on an Alko chassis

If you read John Wickersham's new Caravan Manual there are two picture of the shocks and they are in different holes !!

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
The instructions are not very helpful and as I posted earlier I used the centre hol and also didn't need to remove the wheel etc

If you read John Wickersham's new Caravan Manual there are two picture of the shocks and they are in different holes !!
Thanks JohnG.

I did read your post but you mentioned fitting to three vans but not that one of them was a Ranger!

Will probably go for it when it stops raining!

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site

Got down to it this afternoon. Took one wheel off so I could measure better. Everything is fine except the Alko instructions are hard to follow and the diagrams are far too small! I think all the diagrams are of the nearside wheel though that isn't obvious, especially 4(b) which shows the wheel which is supposed to be off!

My Ranger has the cross-section of the first of two types of Delta axle which means the mounting of the shock absorber is to be on the 'outside' of the brackets i.e. as in 4(b). Those not having the diagram will have to look at it before fitting one themselves:(

I can fit it easily to the 'inside' but if I try to fit it to the 'outside', the shock absorber fouls the Rhyno mover. If I put it on the 'inside' and use the middle hole the measurements A, B and C all seem OK though the pictures are not clear enough to tell exactly where you measure between for D. The other thing that isn't clear is whether or not the wider side of the steel inserts in each bush-eye go on the chassis/bracket side.

I will wait until Monday and give Alko a call unless someone else has done this on a Ranger Series 5 fitted with a mover.

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Got down to it this afternoon. Took one wheel off so I could measure better. Everything is fine except the Alko instructions are hard to follow and the diagrams are far too small! I think all the diagrams are of the nearside wheel though that isn't obvious, especially 4(b) which shows the wheel which is supposed to be off!

My Ranger has the cross-section of the first of two types of Delta axle which means the mounting of the shock absorber is to be on the 'outside' of the brackets i.e. as in 4(b). Those not having the diagram will have to look at it before fitting one themselves:(

I can fit it easily to the 'inside' but if I try to fit it to the 'outside', the shock absorber fouls the Rhyno mover. If I put it on the 'inside' and use the middle hole the measurements A, B and C all seem OK though the pictures are not clear enough to tell exactly where you measure between for D. The other thing that isn't clear is whether or not the wider side of the steel inserts in each bush-eye go on the chassis/bracket side.

I will wait until Monday and give Alko a call unless someone else has done this on a Ranger Series 5 fitted with a mover.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi SillyBilly

I have a Baily Ranger 460/4 2007 (Bubbles) and have just fitted Blue Al-Ko Shocks. First thing i did get the instruction blown up on a photo-state machine so i could see them ( Local Library ).

I to have a power touch motor mover which i did not have to move. I did have to move the large black round cable duct pipe which is on the door side of the caravan over to one side a bit to give clearance for the shock. To get to right measurment as to Al-Ko instructions the centrehole of three was used. As for the Arrow remember the brackets are handed and you cannot go wrong. Arrow pointing to the front of the caravan( Tow -hitch) and arrow can be seen if you stand at the wheel arch with the wheel off on both sides of the caravan.

Steve & Janet If I can help in any way ?

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steve & Janet

Thanks for your response. I will use the middle hole which seemed fine for the measurements.

Could you check to see if you ran the shock on the chassis side of the brackets, because I have room for it there but not on the outside as the instructions suggest! It leaves me 5mm on the chassis side but goes right in line with the motor on my mover when on the outside.

The other query was the steel sleeves through which the bolts pass. Mine are wider on one side than the other though it may be that they slide through? If yours are like mine did you put the wider part on the chassis side?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve & Janet

Thanks for your response. I will use the middle hole which seemed fine for the measurements.

Could you check to see if you ran the shock on the chassis side of the brackets, because I have room for it there but not on the outside as the instructions suggest! It leaves me 5mm on the chassis side but goes right in line with the motor on my mover when on the outside.

The other query was the steel sleeves through which the bolts pass. Mine are wider on one side than the other though it may be that they slide through? If yours are like mine did you put the wider part on the chassis side?

Thanks
Just fit the bushes so the shock lines up more or less parallel to the chassis side

Sorry I asumed that you would realise that an Alko chassis is an Alko chassis so to speak

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there SillyBilly

As promised Picturers You can see the arrow on the bracket and also the big black cable pipe hope these help.

Steve & Janet

P1011158.jpg

P1011157.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice pictures

You posted them just as I was lying under the van having a look

As can be seen its the wide spacer against the chassis and the shocker slopes away from the chassis rather than being exactly parallel to it

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Stephen

Thanks for the excellent pictures!!

So you have put them on as I thought and not as in Alko's diagram (which shows the shockabsorber on the other side of the brackets!) They show them as 4(b) not 4(a)

:)

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Just fit the bushes so the shock lines up more or less parallel to the chassis side

Sorry I asumed that you would realise that an Alko chassis is an Alko chassis so to speak
Hi JohnG

I have only just seen your comment.

It is quite possible I have been confused all along. Table 2 on the Alko sheet lists only 3 types of chassis: Sraight, Delta axle with one profile, and Delta axle with another profile. It lists beside these how to mount the shock absorber. It doesn't list an alko chassis, which my Ranger has, so I assumed mine is the first Delta one because it has the profile cross-section given.

Trying to fit the shock absorber where suggested (Fig 4(b) on the outside of the brackets) is impossible with my movers fitted. I was inclined to fit them on the inside and wanted confirmation that that was how others have fitted them.

I see Stephen has done that and I presume you have too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts