Alko brake shoes

Mar 24, 2024
Visit site
Hi, I have a 2017 Swift and I noticed on the last service in January the engineer stated the shoe compound was hard.
I have had an issue with squealing brakes during my ownership and have had them cleaned and serviced previously but it’s never solved the issue.
Does anyone know if there a softer compound shoe available?
I can’t take the embarrassment of the squealing any longer.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I am a little curious as to what this engineer used to determine your brake shoes compound are "hard" Did he explain how he arrived at that conclusion?

The issue of Alko brake squeal has been discussed, at considerable length both on this and other forums, and I don't think anyone has come up with a definitive cure, softer lining material might work, but if that is the "cure" I think it wouid be very well known by now. Having said that its worth a try but I dont know where you could source such brake shoes from.

I purchased a new caravan very early in 2019, the brakes squealed horrendously, it was like a screaming banshee from about day three. My local dealer moved swiftly and I had new shoes and drums fitted under warranty. It certainly improved mattersca lot, but the brakes do still squeal occasionally.

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I have a 2017 Swift and I noticed on the last service in January the engineer stated the shoe compound was hard.
I have had an issue with squealing brakes during my ownership and have had them cleaned and serviced previously but it’s never solved the issue.
I thought Swift did an exchange and fit policy as it affected a lot of their caravans in that time period. Contact Swift or your dealership.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
This is an often reported issue with AlKo brake shoes.
I use an Independent AWS company to give my caravan its annual service. He recently posted this picture on a popular social media site with the following comment: "We're seeing this all too often. Every caravan in the European market since around 2017 has Alko brakes. This is how they currently seem to wear, in turn destroying the braking surface of the drum itself".
I bought my Coachman VIP in 2016, it's still on the original brake shoes and I haven't heard a single peep out of them.
1713944242562.jpeg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I use an Independent AWS company to give my caravan its annual service. He recently posted this picture on a popular social media site with the following comment: "We're seeing this all too often. Every caravan in the European market since around 2017 has Alko brakes. This is how they currently seem to wear, in turn destroying the braking surface of the drum itself".
I bought my Coachman VIP in 2016, it's still on the original brake shoes and I haven't heard a single peep out of them.
View attachment 6630
I suspect the answer is simple - brake shoe linings sourced from China to reduce costs with inadequate quality control

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I purchased a new caravan very early in 2019, the brakes squealed horrendously, it was like a screaming banshee from about day three. My local dealer moved swiftly and I had new shoes and drums fitted under warranty. It certainly improved mattersca lot, but the brakes do still squeal occasionally.
We had the same issue on our 2018 and drums and shoes replaced under warranty as apparently it was a know fault. Sadly there is no obligation by a caravan manufacturer to do recalls unless it affects the safety of the unit.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
View attachment 6630
A lot of the brake shoe failures like these are due to misuse. Many people leave the caravan in storage with the handbrake fully applied. The shoes stick to the drum. Pieces of material break off the shoe and stick to the drum. Worse the entire brake material parts company with the shoe and sticks to the drum. Squealing can be solved by filing a smooth chamfer edge on the leading edge of the brake material.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ours squealed from the day we collected the caravan. I am told it also helps if the drums are round and not slightly oval? :D

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Removal of of the leading edge of the linings can help using sand paper if it hasn't already been done ..it's a matter of taking the sharp corner off leaving a slight chamfer ..

Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Strange, to assist in reducing brake squeal by de glazing the friction linings, people purposely clean and glaze tow balls to prevent exactly the same noise….same principles at work

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
There are after market shoes out there, apparently a lot cheaper than the Al-Ko shoes. Your service engineer could get them from Leisure Plus. Having said that the new Al-Ko shoes don’t squeal, other than from brake dust build up.

Handbrake being left on doesn’t cause the problem that is the picture, that is down to the compound of the shoes breaking up. Having said that leaving the handbrake on can cause them to stick and pull the lining off the shoe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts