Alko shock absorbers

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
HI,

Im going to buy some shock absorbers for the van and i woundered if anyone had fitted them and if it was difficult and how long it took im not that machanically minded but im not stupid either i know that the chasis is already drilled to fit them.

Cheers,

M.H.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
If you have a root around the forum you'll find loads of info on shock absorbers, but to save you the effort I fitted some to my van, a Bailey Pageant Provence (series 6) which has a powrtouch 3 motor mover. The hardest part was jacking up the van and getting the wheels off. Jacking the van took about 15mins per side coz I've only got a bog-standard scissor jack which has to go under the axle tube. Fitting the actual shockers was about 10mins per side.

You'll need two 19mm spanners (I needed a ring/open ender because of the motor mover prevented me getting a socket on the outside top nut)ideally a torque wrench. A screwdriver to prise out the plastic caps from the bottom of the swinging arm and a mole wrench helps you to squeeze the brackets together whilst you push the bolt through and put the nut on. If you've got a motor mover fitted you may need to adjust it a bit to clear the shockers - I hade to move one side out about 10mm.

On my van, the middle hole on the chassis was the correct one

I reckon if you aren't too rotund and agile enough to squeeze under the van you can do it without jacking it up.

Make sure that you chock the van wheels, apply the brakes and use axle stands if you are going to jack it up and get under it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
http://217.199.167.226/shop/acatalog/Shock_Absorbers.html
I have fitted them and its quite easy once you decide which hole in the chassis to use

Alko give a measurement from the centre of the axle to the hole in the chassis for the different coloured shocks

I don't undestand that because I would have thought that all chassis would be the same and so it would be easy and easier for the installer to just say the 3rd hole etc

It involves removing the wheel in order to measure!!

My Ace Award was different to the instructions in that it already had the lower attachment arm welded on(heavy duty brakes)

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dave,

My van is the 5 series provance which shocks did you buy did you get the red ones my van is 1420kgs fully laden i suppose yours will be the same.

Cheers

M.H

May 18, 2006
Visit site
M.H. I fited the red shocks to my series 5 Indiana and it took about 20mins each side. I used the middle hole on the chassis. I then had a mover fitted with no problems at all.

ps - Are you from H.Pool?

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
hi monkey hanger,i've just fitted a set this evening on my 2007 sterling [1500kg with red ones].on the first side i jacked the van up to fit them,and then realised you can stretch the coil easily and the bolts go straight on without the need to jack the van up or remove the wheels.the second side only took about 5 mins to fit.

i'll find out in a couple of weeks how good they are,hopefully money well spent.

ps the instructions are crap.

cheers

dave

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I can vouch for the fact that they do improve the ride - the van doesn't "bounce" especially on rough roads (which we've got a lot of where we are in rural Essex)and feels better when lorries come thundering past.

I also agree that the instructions are crap although its fairly intuitive once you've offered the shockers up to the mounting points.

We've got the red ones for our 1420kg Provence

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

My van is the 5 series provance which shocks did you buy did you get the red ones my van is 1420kgs fully laden i suppose yours will be the same.

Cheers

M.H
Just follow the link I posted for the right ones!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can vouch for the fact that they do improve the ride - the van doesn't "bounce" especially on rough roads (which we've got a lot of where we are in rural Essex)and feels better when lorries come thundering past.

I also agree that the instructions are crap although its fairly intuitive once you've offered the shockers up to the mounting points.

We've got the red ones for our 1420kg Provence
I fitted the red ones too for the 1560 kg max Nightstar

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fitted the red ones to the hole furthest away from the axle after getting this search result earlier in the year

Just answered the question via "search"

Hi Graeme,

I fitted the red shocks to my Swift Challenger 500se, using the hole that was furthest away from the wheel drum, going on the measurments supplied by Alko, it should be 265mm from the centre of the arm to the hole for the red shocks.

Not sure what colour shocks you used but I think you need to check your measurments with the instructions given by Alko.

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/Downloads/shocks2004.pdf
Hope this helps

Graham (Ponty)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fitted the red ones to the hole furthest away from the axle after getting this search result earlier in the year

Hi Graeme,

I fitted the red shocks to my Swift Challenger 500se, using the hole that was furthest away from the wheel drum, going on the measurments supplied by Alko, it should be 265mm from the centre of the arm to the hole for the red shocks.

Not sure what colour shocks you used but I think you need to check your measurments with the instructions given by Alko.

Hope this helps

Graham (Ponty)
It saved me removing the wheel

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
M.H. I fited the red shocks to my series 5 Indiana and it took about 20mins each side. I used the middle hole on the chassis. I then had a mover fitted with no problems at all.

ps - Are you from H.Pool?
Yes i am from h.pool

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site

Hi Graeme,

Hope this helps

Graham (Ponty)
hi monkey, ive just fitted them to my senator as well.i purchased them from homesteadcaravans as they are 10 quid cheaper than alko think it was 73quid inc p+p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts