Alko Wheel Lock lining up probs

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Just went down to compound to bring van home to clean it but cant get the Alko wheel lock off.
The splines on the key wont line up with the lock to unlock it to pull out the shaft.
Just come home to try spare key but dont hold out much hope.
Any ideas please?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ade it is the key into the barrel lock causing your problem?
If it’s is the key try squirting WD 40 or this oil into the barrel lock. You have to make sure the key is lined up with the lock in a similar way to a Yale lock. Let us know how you get on.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The barrel of the key can get slightly "squashed" and will need gentle rounding on the inside to get it to fit. Also mke sure its the correct key, as my hitch lock has the same type of key and can get mixed up.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for your kind replies.
All sorted now thanks to a kind couple who were returning their van to the compound.
The 2 splines on the "tumbler" were not lining up correctly and after many attempts including using motor mover to gently take the pressure off......jacked up van......penetrating oil....etc..
Anyway.....the solution was,
1.return home and gently file down the outside spline in one of the keys.
2.insert this key to line up the splines.
3.insert the other(non filed key) to unlock and retrieve the shaft which screws into chassis.
From now on im going to use a Gold Sold Secure motorbike chain and padlock through alloys and around chassis.
Maybe not quite so secure but dont want to go through all that again.

Anyone want an Alko wheel lock with one key???.....lol

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Couple of tips:
At the bolt that screws into the hub use a black permanent marker on the keyed section where it is unique. Then, at the outer extension section that you insert to engage with the bolt, make a similar arrow mark. When removing, look down the hole, and orientate the extension before inserting. This saves a lot of spinning the extension round until it finally engages.
If you have a twin, label each parts box as Front and Rear. Then use a Dremel to grind an F and R onto the respective security keys.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I've given up using ours. The new one is still sealed in the bag. Loads of trouble to line up and fit. On site impossible to level the caravan and aline the wheel so now fit a Bulldog wheel clamp and a hitchlock. Insurers are happy as long as a wheel clamp is fitted. We have a similar problem on a car lock. The other car is a hot hatch which we are told is attractive to hoodlums so we fit a steering wheel cover. This is five lever lock but they say on the instructions that the cylinders might turn and tell you how to deal with it. Works well. There only seems to be a problem when it is cold and wet or I'm in a hurry.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes,im going to put mine on the well known auction site and explaining why it only has one useable key.
Its in perfect condition and a good deterrent but so much hassle to line up and then hoping the wheel doesnt move.
Going to stick to my chain and padlock from now on plus ive got the hitchlock too.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
My insurance stipulates that if the caravan has an Al-Ko receiver, then the relevant lozenge should be fitted.
I use a Kojack to align the wheel, whilst levelling the caravan.
Regards,

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Lappy said:
My insurance stipulates that if the caravan has an Al-Ko receiver, then the relevant lozenge should be fitted.
Regards,

Perhaps a better solution would be to change your insurer! ;)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Mine can be challenging to get the profiled "key" to engage with the bolt, if the wheel has turned to apply pressure to a flank of the lozenge.
This is in my case easily addressed by using the mover to ensure neither spoke is contacting the lozenge, doing this has always cured this issue.
I don't tighten the bolt up unnecessarily tightly so the lozenge can move unless the wheel is applying a side load to it. Therefore, I ensure it rattles then I know it is not being loaded with the risks that places on properly enganging the profiled key.
I have found it the best security wheel lock I have known, lighter and more compact than most and no real hassle to use.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
Lappy said:
Regards,

Same here , mine has the alko receiver to but I have a full wheel wheel clamp and hitch lock and insurance is happy with that .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Dodger524 said:
Lappy said:
Regards,

Same here , mine has the alko receiver to but I have a full wheel wheel clamp and hitch lock and insurance is happy with that .

I've never yet seen the receiver lined up with the gap in the alloy wheel when I've parked the caravan! Kinda glad I don't have the AL-KO lock in that regard as they were stupid money for my Sprite's wheel; at least twice the price of some other profile lozenges. (I forget the profile code but it was nearly £300 I recall)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I've used one of these for many years now. (And I think they are as good/better than the Alko and much more user friendly!) unfortunately they use the 'patented' Alko reciever on the van and Alko got them banned from sale and manufacture. Shows they were worried by a good product!
bulldog-max.jpg

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
"I've never yet seen the receiver lined up with the gap in the alloy wheel when I've parked the caravan! Kinda glad I don't have the AL-KO lock in that regard as they were stupid money for my Sprite's wheel; at least twice the price of some other profile lozenges. (I forget the profile code but it was nearly £300 I recall)"

On at least 3 recent occasions, I have got my caravan positioned nicely on my drive, only to find that the receiver is lined up with the gap in the alloy wheel where the valve is!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
post pics

With us just changing compounds from last year to now we have been refused insurance with one company because it is so close to the main road apparently , even though its in a dip and partly concealed from the road but they google earthed it but we're happy with the security and the insurance who have insured us are with what we have as it is all locked up and people live on the site who are also storing about 4o more caravans now .

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
If you use your motor mover you can hold the lozenge to the wheel and nudge the van so that the receiver lines up exactly...

I carry a large kneeling pad everywhere I go with the van...

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
"I've never yet seen the receiver lined up with the gap in the alloy wheel when I've parked the caravan! Kinda glad I don't have the AL-KO lock in that regard as they were stupid money for my Sprite's wheel; at least twice the price of some other profile lozenges. (I forget the profile code but it was nearly £300 I recall)"

On at least 3 recent occasions, I have got my caravan positioned nicely on my drive, only to find that the receiver is lined up with the gap in the alloy wheel where the valve is!

D'know what? I took a picture of my tyre when there were some discussions on tyre size/profile and looking back at it the receiver is almost aligned correctly - just on the gap with the valve!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-EEdHCYjDQaLOhXF2oWIyEJB30m49Y7v/view?usp=drivesdk

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I find the Alko a faff when on site so use a lighter weight milenco. Ot home I use the Alko but need to use mover to line it up. If I got a van 0.5 m longer I would have to be incredibly lucky or use a jack, which is Dark Ages stuff. So I’d go for one of the compact units like Nemesis or such like. Not as secure as Alko but that’s why I have insurance.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think somebody is looking after me. NEVER , a problem when putting the van in storage, just put wheel chocks in right hand side then small movements on the hitch to align. On a pitch I fit a clamp on right hand side. .

How many folks know of caravans being stolen from holiday sites . Ie CMC CMHC or others.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
How many folks know of caravans being stolen from holiday sites . Ie CMC CMHC or others.

Good question, but once having my parked car damaged, the first thing the assessor did was measure the tread depth of all tyres including the spare????????. [Standard procedure, was on his check off sheet apparently.]

With them checking such unrelated compliance with the insurance terms, should the van burn out on site would the fact the Alko Secure not be in place give them a get out?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes I think it would do that. It would show you had the lozenge fitted. I have thought about buying a very narrow Lozenge from E bay, to fit my Coachman, that way an Alko lock is still fitted. The insurance company do not state the size.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn’t take up my insurers offer of further discount for using an Alko every time. Paying the extra twenty pounds seemed worth the cost given less hassle. After all it’s only about the same as buying two glasses of Malbec at our local pub restaurant.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
BaileyNiggles said:
Dustydog said:
... try squirting WD 40 or this oil into the barrel lock.

WD-40 is bad for locks. Its a rust-inhibitor, not a lubricant. It dries to a dust and dirt-attracting gunge.

Graphite powder is the lube for locks... Oil attracts dust as well...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts