Alko wheel locks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David,

I have found no problems with our Alco wheel lock.

I think as long as you have a bit of assistance from someone with lining up, it shouldnt be much of an effort.

Again, I have had no difficulty with connecting it either. I dont think it could be much simpler really.

BTW, I am not what you would call a 'technical' person, so if I can do it, anyone can!

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Some people have no problems but I think most people find the Alko locks difficult to fit, specially on a twin wheeler, many resort to jacking their caravan up to help align the wheel with the receiver.

A Bulldog Max doesn't need the wheel to be positioned so accurately and is therefore much easier to fit, and is quite a bit cheaper than the Alko.

I've tried both and although the Alko is a neater design I found it a pain to fit so went for the Bulldog.

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
I found them a pest with our twin axle Wyoming. Had to jack the caravan to line up. Still have to jack, but now bought a Kojack and its so much better than the Alko jack and so quick.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I found them a pest with our twin axle Wyoming. Had to jack the caravan to line up. Still have to jack, but now bought a Kojack and its so much better than the Alko jack and so quick.
i done the same ken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I may have missed the original point?

I did not fit my Alko wheel lock, it came already fitted to my new Coachman VIP.

I was only referring to the actual 'locking of it on site'. Hope I didnt give a flase impression, 'cos there is no way I would attempt to actually fit one!! :)

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi David,

You should try and level your van up a ramp and then try to fit the Alco Secure. The air around our van always end up blue!!

I now use the Bulldog Max as it does give some leeway although you won't get the Insurance discount that the Alco attracts.

Regards Jim

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Phil

don't think you've missed the point. With a twin axle, its almost certain that both wheels won't line up together, so that is why you have to jack up the van.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Ours goes on easily in storage. We use the mover to align it up. On site it is impossible to line up and gt level right unless you jack up.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Personally I like them although I know a lot of people have posted saying they don't like them and have consigned them to the garage shelf.

My current van (twin axle) and previous van (single axle) both came with the alko wheel lock as standard. The single axle was very easy to use, I could line up the lock with the wheel space in a couple of minutes. The twin axle is a different matter, one wheel can be lined up with the aid of the car before unhitching or with the mover but I do need to jack up the caravan to fit the second. I tried (once) with the supplied alko side lift jack but found that very difficult to use so bought a trolley jack for under a tenner from Lidl. I find it no great hardship to jack up and fit second alko wheel lock that way.

I've found it takes not much longer than fitting previous type of wheelclamp.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts