all change just hope i am fit enough

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello Robby and Ann have been using a narrow boat for the last 20 years and we sold it in 2019 in 2021 we bought a caravan with an awning and all the bitts, that was a mistake we thought boating was hard work, anyhow it was ok because 18 months later we sold for a profit. Now we need something, so we have just bought a Mercedes auto sleeper Devon 2010 should arrive second week of June and at 80 years old hope I will be ok, we shall start in our drive and then venture further, now then how do we make the bed comfortable ? We both walk well so we will be looking forward to that we use to ride bikes but 25 years have gone by so probably not, but don't want to be away for more than a couple of days to start with because Covid has aged us so don't have the energy I do hope it goes well because I feel we have not yet done how do you cope with age.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the Forum. Friends of ours in their mid 70s bought a motorhome last year as it was clear that any overseas holidays were not going to happen. Whilst not quite at your age, but without any prior experience of camping, caravans or anything that smacks of the outdoors they absolutely love it, and like you their first trip in their own vehicle (after hiring a MH for five nights) was to a site 10 miles away. Whenever I ring them for a chat there’s a better than evens chance they will be away in the MH..
Good luck on your new adventure.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Welcome to the forum. What age benefits are you expecting from a motorhome compared with a caravan? We haven’t quite reached 80 yet, but in our mid-70’s we still go caravanning to southern Spain and Italy regularly despite quite bad arthritis on my part, so if you are still fit as you say you are, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy motorhoming.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
at 80 years old hope I will be ok, we shall start in our drive and then venture further,
Covid has aged us so don't have the energy

At 80 - there's no reason why you shouldn't be OK - providing you FEEL that you can do it. At 90 I towed my caravan, on my own, down to Southern Spain for the winter. Pre-Covid, I just didn't think about old age.
But you're right about one thing. Covid has had s serious effect on the elderly. It's turned me into an old man.:D Having said that - I still manage to caravan. I'm just back from a week in Wiltshire and next month I have 2 weeks booked in Cornwall and Devon. Good luck to you.

Reactions: gnomee and WayneS
Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
At 79, having recently found myself a widower, I have just purchased a caravan after a 20 year rest from the hobby. Whilst not being in the first flush I am looking forward to renewing the excitement of visiting new places and meeting new friends. I live in a retirement village where we all firmly believe age is just a number and life is for living. Let's get out there, take advantage of all the technology modern caravans and motor home offer and enjoy ourselves. After all, we're worth it!

Reactions: WayneS
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello Camerachap, good for you! A super outlook, welcome to this lovely forum, congratulations on your caravan, hope you enjoy lots of great trips.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Camerachap. If you look under Chit Chat you will see a number of us are meeting up in October at The Coachman Caravan Park Snainton by Pickering. You are welcome to join us , the Woosies

Reactions: Mel and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts