American Idiots? Maybe not...

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Howdy all!

Hope you are all well.

I've just returned from the Louisville RV show in Kentucky and thought that some of you might be interested in some thoughts I had about American trailers. I'm not saying they are great or anything, but I do wonder whether our entry-level tourers are a little too clever for their own good. There is a blog post about it if you click here.

It'll open in a new window so you won't lose your place here!

Would welcome your thoughts!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nigel, welcome back.
IMHO the method of building the American travel trailers appears to represent a retrograde step as far as UK manufacturers are concerned.
Over the past ten years the UK caravan industry has come on in leaps and bounds in terms of build quality, insulation, resistance to water ingress although it has to be said that there is still a long way to go and occasionally brand new caravans still leave dealers forecourts with serious faults and design flaws as evidenced by forum posts.
There would be a demand for cheap and cheerful entry level caravans here but surely UK manufacturers would do better by emulating European manufacturers, who produce small touring caravans without microwaves, full freestanding cookers and luxury gizmos but who'se products seem to last for ever.
Cutting corners inevitably leads to a reduction in quality, every brand new caravan looks very nice polished up and with show lighting at a caravan show but the only real test would be five years touring here in the UK with it's infinitely variable climate and potholed overcrowded roads.
While not being a particular fan of European caravans personally, those who buy them here in the UK are always vocal about the build quality and durability of these European caravans in comparison to UK manufactured models although I'd venture that UK build quality is catching up fast and in terms of equipment levels is far in advance of comparable American or European manufacturers.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have a microwave in the caravan and have only used it once. I also think that there is far too much lighting in our caravan. We very seldon use the over heaf lights. Never used the corner 220v lights and some other LED lights. All these are fitted and we had no option to accept and pay for something we would never use.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
To pick up on one point Nigel mentioned, has anyone any idea why electric trailer brakes aren't used in Europe when they are fitted to almost all trailers in the US?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Nick in France said:
To pick up on one point Nigel mentioned, has anyone any idea why electric trailer brakes aren't used in Europe when they are fitted to almost all trailers in the US?
Easy, electric brakes are illegal. Trailers under 3500kg must be fitted with mechanical overrun brakes in our part of the world.
The trouble with American RV's, I find, is that their beauty is only skin deep. Depending on one's taste they may look the part, but as soon as you take a deeper look, they are built to very low standards. We rented a motor home while we were in Canada and I was disappointed by their use of rough sawn wood profiles behind the interior panels. I think that even an entry level customer has a right to better workmanship and would rather do without some convenience items in order to save money.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Parksy, I don't think there is a market for such a basic caravan in this country, basically because because it wouldn't have enough "snob" appeal. How many new van sales are made just because next year's model has two more floofle valves than last years?
How many people buy new caravans because they NEED them, rather than WANT them?
And how many people who want new, want it because "the Joneses" have got one?
No, for a caravan to succeed in our consumerist society I'm afraid it must be "bigger,better, dearer".

(disappears over the wall wearing tin hat)

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
Parksy, I don't think there is a market for such a basic caravan in this country, basically because because it wouldn't have enough "snob" appeal.
I agree, more basic but better built caravans are available in the UK, most seem to come from Germany but they don't sell. The expression 'Fur coat, no knickers' seems to come to mind.
Although given the snob value of German cars in the UK, I'm somewhat surprised that it isn't carried over to caravans.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
Parksy, I don't think there is a market for such a basic caravan in this country, basically because because it wouldn't have enough "snob" appeal. How many new van sales are made just because next year's model has two more floofle valves than last years?
How many people buy new caravans because they NEED them, rather than WANT them?
And how many people who want new, want it because "the Joneses" have got one?
No, for a caravan to succeed in our consumerist society I'm afraid it must be "bigger,better, dearer".

(disappears over the wall wearing tin hat)
The 'snob appeal' theory might hold true for some middle aged or retired buyers although the
economic downturn might affect sales of more expensive caravans from here on in, but evidence would suggest that there is now a ready market amongst younger buyers with families for a more basic entry level model.
I've read many posts on caravan forums from younger buyers, mainly seeking advice on good used models but when these first timers have decided that ownership of a touring caravan is really for them they will be looking to upgrade if possible from their first used tourer to a new model.
With the current UK trend for expensive fixtures and fittings being included as standard rather than as optional extras the price of a brand new entry level tourer has increased considerably, but these continuous price hikes are making the expansion of and investment in the caravan manufacturing industry here in the UK unsustainable because the economic bubble has well and truly burst both here and in Europe.
This is why I think that there now needs to be a drastic rethink by UK caravan manufacturers on entry level caravan design and equipment levels.

Nick in France said:
I agree, more basic but better built
caravans are available in the UK, most seem to come from Germany but
they don't sell. The expression 'Fur coat, no knickers' seems to come to
mind.
Although given the snob value of German cars in the UK, I'm somewhat surprised that it isn't carried over to caravans.

Personally, having read forum posts from UK owners of German built caravans on various British caravan forums I'm not altogether convinced by the reputation that German built caravans seem to have for build quality here. The UK dealer network for German caravans, such as it was, appears to have more or less disappeared which means that not many UK owners now opt for German built caravans and the exchange rate of the £ versus the Euro has also made imported models less popular.

I'd suggest that between twenty and thirty years ago most UK popular mass market manufactured caravans were so poorly designed and built that German and other European manufactured caravans were considered to be much better, but I don't think that this is the case now.
From what I've seen over the years European caravans were not so well equipped as UK built models but the build quality of the caravan shell, and in particular the awning rails on European caravans was much better.
This is no longer the case, over the past ten years or so UK models are as well designed and built as most comparable German built caravans, but we rarely read about the problems which affect these popular European caravans on UK caravan forums, which by their nature contain mostly details about problems with UK models.
My original point was that there may be a market for caravans with European equipment levels (i.e. no microwave, no freestanding cooker, no air con or Alde wet central heating) which would weigh less but have bodywork built using modern technology, unlike the American caravans seen by Nigel which seem to be built using the old build methods that have so demonstrably failed here in the UK.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see how the new Eterniti caravans stand up to UK conditions - they're built using traditional US methods.
On the UK vs German caravan issue - one of the main reason continental caravans don't sell here in significant number is because of the layout differences - continental caravan layouts are little more than sleeping vans with a toilet for use in the night, with campers spending most of their time out in the fresh air, even in the colder regions, and using site facilities - UK caravans are expected to provide full lounge bar, restaurant,entertainment facilities and fully equipped washrooms even if owners spend all their time outside and still use site facilities!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " continental caravan layouts are little more than sleeping vans with a toilet for use in the night,"

Now there is a quote by somene who obviously does not own a continental van or knows what they do have inside.
It is far from the posters "observation"

My own Hobby has:
Fixed single beds with sprung interior mattresses, NOT slabs of foam as per a lot of UK vans.
A fuly functional kitchen with hob, oven, grill, fridge, sink etc and a decent sized worktop.
Fully functional bathroom with proper lighting, cupboards .
A "U" shaped lounge area with comfortable seating for everyone, not like some UK vans where the side "seating" is no more than a gesture.
As for lighting,it has a lot, a choice of main lighting or several other forms of lighting to suit the mood or requirements.

Lastly , everything works and it does not leak.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree that some German built caravans such as Damian's Hobby have now been brought up to British spec with the inclusion of full kitchens, bathrooms etc; but comparisons between UK built models and the British spec German models are meaningless in terms of equipment levels these days. Things such as sprung mattresses and various methods of lighting are readily available on UK built caravans and the market for high spec equipment has been led by UK buyers with manufacturers designing interiors for the UK, not the other way round.
I strongly suspect that if there is a German equivalent of Practical Caravan forum the casual observer would see topics about equipment failure, water ingress and poor design which would be very similar to the topics posted on UK caravan forums.
The German built caravans built for European markets didn't have bathrooms, full kitchens etc because there was little demand for these things in Europe and the specification suited a more outdoor lifestyle.
I've also seen smaller European caravans being used by Dutch couples who tour UK campsites, few of these have full kitchens or elaborate washrooms although they appear to be solidly built, but the caravans with their pebble dash effect sidewalls tend to look dated.
I think that UK manufacturers could use up to date exterior styling built with modern construction methods but with fairly spartan interiors which would cut costs and also weight.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Parksy, I don't agree that UK caravan designs & equipment levels are customer lead, if the design & equipment wasn't changed every year there would be no incentive for the 'snobs' to keep buying the new model.
On a completly random sample of one, I had a look round a 2 berth van at a dealers a couple of days ago when I went to get some bits to repair my UK van.
I can't remember the make but it would almost certainly have been French, it had a fixed double bed at the rear, 2 seats & a table at the front, a kitchen comprising a 3 ring hob, no grill (French domestic cookers don't have a grill either), a small fridge. The shower room was about the same as UK centre shower rooms.
What was noticable was that the fittings seemed much more substantial than my UK van & the whole thing seemed much more 'solid'.
The total price was 17,995€ (£14,500).

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Morning Parksy. Haven't you just shot yourself in the foot?
German caravans as they are sold in Germany didn't sell here, so their interiors were upgraded to UK spec.That is just what I said, that a basic van won't sell because it doesn't have snob appeall.
Look around any site in the UK, and I will take a bet that there are not many vans over three years old, and certainly very few if any, basic ones.And I cannot agree that all these fully kitted gin palaces are bought by us "grey economy" caravanners.
On occasion, I rally with mixed make groups, and most of them are considerably younger than me, and almost all, have new or newish vans, complete with all the bells and whistles!
Europe, however, as has been said, is a completely different picture, as most vans are sleeping ares only. When we have "open door" days at European Rallies, the Continentals are amazed by the luxury in my 33 year old Royale!
Also, can anyone please explain why, with all the kit in new vans, most are used on fully serviced sites?
(I know there are exceptions here on this forum; I'm not talking specifics, simply generally)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We now have a number of fairly basic vans from Lunar, Bailey and Swift but all retain the style that UK customers expect. the Sprite Lite seems to have been a bit too basic as it has been dropped so I assume it did not sell. In America when you park next to another caravan it looks similar so there is no problem there, but over here it would look decidely old fashioned and so the datyed appearence of it on the dealers forecourt would mean most people walked past. There may be a small market for them here but I doubt the size would justify the effort.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " continental caravan layouts are little more than sleeping vans with a toilet for use in the night,"

Now there is a quote by somene who obviously does not own a continental van or knows what they do have inside.
It is far from the posters "observation"

My own Hobby has:
Fixed single beds with sprung interior mattresses, NOT slabs of foam as per a lot of UK vans.
A fuly functional kitchen with hob, oven, grill, fridge, sink etc and a decent sized worktop.
Fully functional bathroom with proper lighting, cupboards .
A "U" shaped lounge area with comfortable seating for everyone, not like some UK vans where the side "seating" is no more than a gesture.
As for lighting,it has a lot, a choice of main lighting or several other forms of lighting to suit the mood or requirements.

Lastly , everything works and it does not leak.
Damian - I don't have one but know full well what they're like inside - I'd love to buy one but simply no-one continental makes a layout that I'd find usable FOR MY NEEDS.
I don't want fixed beds but need a 4-berth with an end washroom - if I've missed one in my search please tell me.

My post wasn't meant as a criticism of continental caravans nor their buyers lifestyles !!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Nick in France said:
Parksy, I don't agree that UK caravan designs & equipment levels are customer lead, if the design & equipment wasn't changed every year there would be no incentive for the 'snobs' to keep buying the new model.
On a completly random sample of one, I had a look round a 2 berth van at a dealers a couple of days ago when I went to get some bits to repair my UK van.
I can't remember the make but it would almost certainly have been French, it had a fixed double bed at the rear, 2 seats & a table at the front, a kitchen comprising a 3 ring hob, no grill (French domestic cookers don't have a grill either), a small fridge. The shower room was about the same as UK centre shower rooms.
What was noticable was that the fittings seemed much more substantial than my UK van & the whole thing seemed much more 'solid'.
The total price was 17,995€ (£14,500).
Hi Nick
I've had a good look at Steckerman and Caravelair models, both manufactured in France, and although they are inexpensive I'm sorry to say that the fittings were no more substantial than those in UK manufactured caravans, the main difference was that the French styling looked decidedly old fashioned.
Anyone could obtain a caravan which had solid oak fittings if they chose to, Vanmaster produce bespoke caravans here in the UK but there would be a high weight penalty and of course a cost penalty. Older more affluent buyers look for higher spec for their budget but they prefer caravans that can be towed by a normal family saloon or estate car, so 'solid' may not always be what these buyers want.
I really don't agree that new caravans are bought here in the UK by 'snobs', the main incentive for new buyers is due to the part exchange price that they can expect for the model that they intend to replace.
There is nothing snobbish about a person who buys a new caravan that they can afford, whether it is a basic entry level model or a top end luxury gin palace, and the slur about new caravan buyers being 'snobs' is very often a form of inverted snobbery and is without foundation.
I do agree that the idea of a simple three burner hob, no microwave, no high end luxury fittings or highly elaborate washrooms would have a ready market both here and in Europe as long as the (lower) cost reflected the basic interior.
emmerson said:
Morning Parksy. Haven't you just shot yourself in the foot?
German
caravans as they are sold in Germany didn't sell here, so their
interiors were upgraded to UK spec.That is just what I said, that a
basic van won't sell because it doesn't have snob appeall.
As I wrote earlier Emmo, I completely disagree with your assertion that buyers of new caravans in the UK are in any way 'snobs'.
It's true that European caravans never sold in large volumes because of poor eqipment levels in comparison to models with UK spec but the ground has shifted somewhat.
Younger families who tended to opt for overseas holidays have found that these luxurious two weeks in the sun are becoming a luxury too far for their purse strings now.
Evidence suggests that many have turned instead to holidays in the UK and camping and caravanning is no longer seen by media pundits as the preserve of the elderly. Young families are no longer prepared to pay a fortune to be treated like cattle at airports whilst waiting for flights that may or may not arrive depending on whether or not Air Traffic Controllers elsewhere decide to go on strike. Some of the younger potential buyers would like to own a new caravan after they have tried out the lifestyle but the ever escalating cost makes such a purchase very difficult.
I
would suggest that a basic caravan would sell to young families in the curent economic climate, I've
often seen forum posts asking if there are models available which don't
have showers for example. As you say, many families use sites which
already have toilets and showers, portable gas BBQ's and multi use
portable cookers like the Cadac are now highly popular so a full freestanding gas cooker isn't really necessary for an entry level caravan.
My point was that these lighter and less expensive basic models would be best built to UK standards as far as body shells are concerned, the ones mentioned by Nigel that he saw in the US seem to have used the old wood frame covered with aluminium sheeting backed by poorly insulated wallboard so it's doubtful if they would sell many here in the UK.
The Bailey Orion is imho a step in the right direction for an entry level caravan which would appeal to a younger market, but even this entry level model has a microwave and oven fitted as standard.
I'd be interested to see how a model such as the Orion would fare in terms of sales to first timers if the Alu Tec body shell was retained but more luxury spec items were offered as optional extras rather than as standard equipment. Younger buyers could choose to save money on their new caravan and spend around £100 in total on a Cadac Safari Chef and a microwave oven from Argos, far less than the standard equipment cooker and microwave currently fitted would cost them.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think it is important to differentiate between a reduction in level of equipment in an effect to reduce the purchase price, which is more the European approach, and a policy of cost savings achievable by what I would call shoddy workmanship, which I believe the American manufacturers follow.
Differences in level of equipment are based on specific local market demand. For example, because there is limited opportunity for caravanning on an equivalent to CL sites on the Continent, there is less demand for equipment that would allow self-sufficient caravanning than in the UK. Hence, few Continental caravans have batteries or particularly generous washroom features. Also, because of differences in cooking habits, few have ovens. (My wife uses the oven in our domestic kitchen probably less than once a month on average).

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all, I cannot believe there is no market for a basic well built caravan where the buyer decides what level of equipment is put in for their needs if such a van existed I would be the first in the queue, why is it then that all vans seem the same, go onto any forcourt cover up the makers name and put them all in a line you would find them remarkably similar thoughout the ranges,
but by the same token all buyers are different, but are forced to choose between similar vans,
we do not get the van we want but the van the manufacturer makes and there is subtle difference there, choosing a van always seems to be a compromise of space, weight, and equipment,
while looking for a tourer after selling the motorhome we must have looked at 1000 vans both new and pre owned non seemed ideal some came close but non perfect, the Adria was probably my favorite exept for the fixed bed "what a waste of space" and why was the inside similar to a 1970's Butlins chalet, spartan wasn't the right word for it,
the coachman was the wifes favorite until I asked the crucial question "it weighes how much!! strewth"
I did consider buying a old van gutting it and rebuilding the whole lot as I did with the m/home but in the end went for the bailey although it is not ideal,
time was when the average van could be towed by the average car so where did it all go wrong!
why do all vans seem to be holiday homes on wheels or is that the point and I'm missing something.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Plenty of debate here!

My point about American trailers is not that they are particularly well built (they aren't), or that they are attractive (they aren't)

It was more that in the UK, by pushing every model in every range down the same route with regard to build methods, technology, equipment and so on, there is little difference in real terms, between top and bottom of the range models. For example, in real terms, the difference between a new Sprite with a sunroof and a Swift Conquerer is a coat of silver paint, Alde heating and a very small solar panel. And around 300kg.

If the Sprite was built in a different way, lets say with thinner walls, downgraded insulation, electric-only heating, on-demand water heating, bespoke, simple chassis and in a simple, angular profile, it would not appeal to caravanners - plainly they are used to better. But it may speak to tent campers looking for an upgrade but unwilling to spend £13000 to get a new family van. It may not be much good for winter use, but neither is a tent. The equipment level may be basic, but not as basic as a sewn-in groundsheet and a bag of pegs. And something that looks unlike a traditional caravan may well be just the thing that tent campers worried about the perceived 'stigma' of caravanning would respond to. Or maybe not!

My own thinking is that if manufacturers are serious (as they claim to be) about attracting new families to caravanning, they need to stop thinking about the people they already sell to, and start thinking about those they don't. Genuinelly low-end tourers with a clean sheet design may not be a bad place to start

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Do we not already have plenty of trailer tents out there for the inbetweenies? All electric heating and water may well make things cheaper and lighter but it also means you are stuck to the dreaded EHU. We have a bottom of the range family van on order to replace our bottom of the range family van and I don't see anything particularly luxurious in either. As far as equipment goes very little has changed since the advent of the cassette so there are plenty of second hand vans out there for the inverted snobs who wouldn't be seen dead in a new van. As far as spec and layout goes we all have our preferences and purchase accordingly be that a UK van or not. What would a genuine low end tourer go without in this country?? Stabiliser? Seating? Windows and sides? Chasis? Wheels? okay so a family of five on a budget can do without cooking facilities?? Yes?.... okay then so £70 a day plus to eat out? Shower?? well I suppose we could all stink but £30-£40 per night for a shower block or £5 a night for a basic CL/CS allowing you to use your own facilities. I know which I'd rather pay. So as I sit here and look at the spec in the brochure for our new van I suppose I'd be happy to lose the alloys, door flyscreen, heavy duty steadies, the carpet, the electric hob and microwave, have a gas only fridge, heating and water, the electric flush and the electronic ignition for hob, oven and grill. All in all not a huge list of things to lose in a basic family van, and of course already provided by other brands.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi martin. I agree that your list could be done without, but I'm afraid you are probably in a majority of one! Not many of today's buyers would want a van that basic, which is the point of my argument.
However, there might well be a market for this basic van, BUT, with the facility to add all the extras as money or need requires.
In other words, a self - improving caravan!
As for not buying a new caravan, my "inverted snobbery"
smiley-laughing.gif
gives me a totally different lifestyle, in that I prefer classic vans, built when they made them to last. This is why we can gather 200 or so vans together in Europe every year, with a cut off date of 1980, and most of the luxuries that new vans provide.
Parksy, perhaps "snob" was a poor choice of word, but there is definately a touch of one-upmanship among the new van owners of my aquaintance!
But, as I have said in so many of my posts, to each, his own.Your money, your choice, and ignore the old fart in his 33 year-old van!!!
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
I said all caravanners were different, Martin wrote "Do we not already have plenty of trailer tents out there for the
inbetweenies? All electric heating and water may well make things
cheaper and lighter but it also means you are stuck to the dreaded EHU"
well actually no because a trailer tent is still a tent! and while wild camping may appeal to some, it's not for everyone we like our EHU thanks and the electric water heater pity it takes up so much room under the front bunk, same for battery and gas on the other side, although it would be hard to see how one could ditch the battery with a mover fitted, we also like the full cooker as we use it every day but only use minimal ammounts of gas (two bottles in 6 years) and now carry one calorlite to save weight.
as I said in a earlier post the bailey is not ideal but a compromise, its a bit on the small side but the right weight, so we need the awning exta 35 kg, we only use in the summer months so the heating could be ditched, storage space is reduced as it only has 2half front bunks 4 overhead small cupboards one cupboard under the sink and a drinks cabinet that has been empty since day one, and a half length wardobe (because of the heater) that wont take one of the wifes long dresses, and the shower cubicle is a joke fully equipped but not big enough to shower a very slim midget so has never been used either, the whole van is built on a 5mtr Alko chasiss although it is only a 380, and the difference between MIRO and MTPLM is just 135kg add to that the gas bottle, battery, mover, and awning and that is pretty much it,
a all electric van with cooker toilet and fridge of about 480 in length and a user payload of 300 kg that must not weigh more than 1150kg would be ideal but no such van exists,or we would have one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts