Another battle looming?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We went Online and looked at a few caravan sites and Ross Park looked very nice. We had visited Ross Park previously and enjoyed our stay and they also had a site of the year award.

The Ross park website had an Online map of the park layout and we chose to book a premium pitch which was landscaped, nice and level etc. and was in a nice location and not far from the ablutions and dog walk. Pictures on the website made the premium pitch look very nice. Also we knew that we would get satellite reception and good wifi. Consequently we booked a Premier pitch.

On arrival we were greeted by the warden who showed us to our pitch. He also said that if we did not like that pitch we could chose one of the pitches adjoining. Not only did all the pitches slope from front to back, but also side to side. I knew the self levelling would not work, but before I could mention it the warden told us that we should be able to level with plenty of planks? Even levelling a single axle would be struggle. As it turned out we need a 4 inch thick piece of timber under the middle jack!

We are now sited with the two nearside wheels about 3 - 4 inches off the ground. Obviously not happy due to stress that may be placed on the caravan chassis. Also it is now a big downward step to leave the caravan and with both of us having dodgy legs, we will need to be very careful. Due to being stuck in a corner alongside the main Totnes Road probably no sleep for us tonight! Every now and then it sounds like a motor bike going through the middle of the caravan! Plus as we are stuck in a corner, we are surrounded by trees so little chance of even seeing the sun! Obviously no chance of any satellite signal even if we had a moveable dish.

Initially I thought I had perhaps made a mistake with the booking, but on checking it showed that we had paid in full for a Premier pitch. On checking the map again it showed that the pitch we had been allocated was normally reserved for seasonal people. Went back to the office to ask my we had been allocated an unsatisfactory pitch which was not premium as per their map and website only to be told "tough" they are fully booked. Also told that wifi is haphazard around the site.

However as I was only dealing with the warden no point arguing the toss as he just kept fobbing me off. Now stuck here until tomorrow when I can speak to the owners and ask for a better pitch or a refund. If no refund etc unfortunately I will need to pursue it further and just in case I have taken loads of photos of the caravan and surrounds. Luckily I apid with the CC.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For a so called top site that wins awards that’s awful. I’d expect better in most CL/CS. The wardens attitude is distinctly poor. Hope you can get it resolved tomorrow but that’s a day of your holiday gone.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
From a lot of your postings , you do seem to have a lot of problems.
4 inches, under the wheels to raise a caravan, does not seem to me to be uncommon. Although this is your self leveling equipment, it doesn't,seem to be very adequate.

I wish you the best in moving to a better pitch , but I think this has spoilt your visit to this site.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We went Online and looked at a few caravan sites and Ross Park looked very nice. We had visited Ross Park previously and enjoyed our stay and they also had a site of the year award.

The Ross park website had an Online map of the park layout and we chose to book a premium pitch which was landscaped, nice and level etc. and was in a nice location and not far from the ablutions and dog walk. Pictures on the website made the premium pitch look very nice. Also we knew that we would get satellite reception and good wifi. Consequently we booked a Premier pitch.

On arrival we were greeted by the warden who showed us to our pitch. He also said that if we did not like that pitch we could chose one of the pitches adjoining. Not only did all the pitches slope from front to back, but also side to side. I knew the self levelling would not work, but before I could mention it the warden told us that we should be able to level with plenty of planks? Even levelling a single axle would be struggle. As it turned out we need a 4 inch thick piece of timber under the middle jack!

We are now sited with the two nearside wheels about 3 - 4 inches off the ground. Obviously not happy due to stress that may be placed on the caravan chassis. Also it is now a big downward step to leave the caravan and with both of us having dodgy legs, we will need to be very careful. Due to being stuck in a corner alongside the main Totnes Road probably no sleep for us tonight! Every now and then it sounds like a motor bike going through the middle of the caravan! Plus as we are stuck in a corner, we are surrounded by trees so little chance of even seeing the sun! Obviously no chance of any satellite signal even if we had a moveable dish.

Initially I thought I had perhaps made a mistake with the booking, but on checking it showed that we had paid in full for a Premier pitch. On checking the map again it showed that the pitch we had been allocated was normally reserved for seasonal people. Went back to the office to ask my we had been allocated an unsatisfactory pitch which was not premium as per their map and website only to be told "tough" they are fully booked. Also told that wifi is haphazard around the site.

However as I was only dealing with the warden no point arguing the toss as he just kept fobbing me off. Now stuck here until tomorrow when I can speak to the owners and ask for a better pitch or a refund. If no refund etc unfortunately I will need to pursue it further and just in case I have taken loads of photos of the caravan and surrounds. Luckily I apid with the CC.
Oh dear didn't realise it was that bad :(
Perhaps I should have tried to squeeze you on my drive :giggle:

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For a so called top site that wins awards that’s awful. I’d expect better in most CL/CS. The wardens attitude is distinctly poor. Hope you can get it resolved tomorrow but that’s a day of your holiday gone.
Actually 2 days. Sunday and Monday.

From a lot of your postings , you do seem to have a lot of problems.
4 inches, under the wheels to raise a caravan, does not seem to me to be uncommon. Although this is your self leveling equipment, it doesn't,seem to be very adequate.

I wish you the best in moving to a better pitch , but I think this has spoilt your visit to this site.
In the past I have also "given in" and accepted things, but that has changed and now I fight back if I feel justified. We have blocks and used two of them under the centre ram, but it not the type of pitch for which we paid extra.

The sad part is that previously it was a great site, but I think it has been sold on at some point in the past. There seems to be a lot of reference to 2022 which could probably be when it was still under the old owners, but just guessing. OH is not very happy! If worst comes to worst, I will bite the bullet and move to another site even if they do not refund us as OH's happiness is more important. (y)

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
We are now sited with the two nearside wheels about 3 - 4 inches off the ground. Obviously not happy due to stress that may be placed on the caravan chassis.
Are self levelers supposed to do that? I'm guessing that they are attached to the chassis and not the floor like steadies are.

Good luck getting sorted, I'd be looking at other sites close by just incase. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a refund as they've failed to provide what you paid for, remember to drop CRA into the conversation with the owner.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Actually 2 days. Sunday and Monday.

In the past I have also "given in" and accepted things, but that has changed and now I fight back if I feel justified. We have blocks and used two of them under the centre ram, but it not the type of pitch for which we paid extra.

The sad part is that previously it was a great site, but I think it has been sold on at some point in the past. There seems to be a lot of reference to 2022 which could probably be when it was still under the old owners, but just guessing. OH is not very happy! If worst comes to worst, I will bite the bullet and move to another site even if they do not refund us as OH's happiness is more important. (y)
Take a look at Dornafield just 2 mins up the road towards Newton Abbot , we have stayed there though but in my defence it was for a weekend testing out our new purchase about 15 years ago.
It was nice back then and am lead to believe it has been upgraded quite a bit.
Wont hurt to take a look before you move your van if you have to.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Take a look at Dornafield just 2 mins up the road towards Newton Abbot , we have stayed there though but in my defence it was for a weekend testing out our new purchase about 15 years ago.
It was nice back then and am lead to believe it has been upgraded quite a bit.
Wont hurt to take a look before you move your van if you have to.
I stayed at Dornafield before, same as Kev, a long time ago.
If the other half is not happy, a move is the better option,
I have even taken down the awning and rotated the caravan 90 degrees for an easy life.
Good luck Buckman. At least weather is good.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Good luck getting your money back. If you hadn't unhitched and just left would've had a case. By setting up and staying you've agreed to price of pitch.
Its like saying this meal isn't what I ordered after seeing it then proceed to eat it and then ask for refund.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good luck getting your money back. If you hadn't unhitched and just left would've had a case. By setting up and staying you've agreed to price of pitch.
Its like saying this meal isn't what I ordered after seeing it then proceed to eat it and then ask for refund.
We had driven over 2 hours to get to the site and I was tired. We objected straight away as knew the pitch would not be suitable. We did not have much choice except to stay the night. Our car is still fully loaded and we have not set up the awning etc.

We are booked on the site for 7 nights and will be requesting a full refund if they cannot offer us the type of pitch that we booked and paid for 2 months ago.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I stayed at Dornafield before, same as Kev, a long time ago.
If the other half is not happy, a move is the better option,
I have even taken down the awning and rotated the caravan 90 degrees for an easy life.
Good luck Buckman. At least weather is good.
I appreciate that it may be a while since you visited, but can you recall if there are passing places is you meet a unit coming in the opposite direct i.e. car, HGV etc. Thanks.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Take a drive down there Buckman, narrow in places but has passing places and to be honest not far down the lane.

Will be a bit tighter on exit but very do able as its one way (Was back in the day)

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Dornafield recently became a C&MC site. When we went post lockdown our pitch was huge on the upper level and washroom facilities excellent, each pitch in the 2 main areas with water and drain and a covered sunken loo between each pair to empty the Thetford.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The lady at the reception admitted that the website had not been updated which led to the confusion. She apologised and as agreed a refund due to the misleading circumstances.

Looking around we have decided to book onto Ramslade CAMC site as only site where we could get a fully serviced pitch with water and waste water hookup.

Reactions: Mel and otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The lady at the reception admitted that the website had not been updated which led to the confusion. She apologised and as agreed a refund due to the misleading circumstances.

Looking around we have decided to book onto Ramslade CAMC site as only site where we could get a fully serviced pitch with water and waste water hookup.
Glad you could get a result without any more aggro - enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst there elements of that argument that might apply, there other factors about booking a caravan pitch which may have bigger implications than booking a restaurant. You might be able to find another restaurant or even forego the meal entirely , but finding anothersite late at night is very different proposition.

It's more akin to booking a package holiday, and arriving to find the hotel is not as described. You may not have the ability to change the hotel until the next day.

Fundamentally the description of the site and pitch supplied by the supplier is considered to be a term in the contract, and if it's not as described the supplier is in breach of contract as defined by the CRA.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The other site that we found is Ramslade CAMC and will only allow us on at 1pm no matter the circumstances. We are less than 30 minutes drive away. I needed to ask the current site if we can stay until 12.30pm and they were happy for us to stay on. (y) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts