Another date to check!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
An ad in the C&MC mag prompted me to check the expiry date on my caravan fire extinguisher and am about to order a replacement as it is past it’s use-by date! Something I have never needed to use in many years of camping and caravanning but I would like to be sure it would be effective if a need ever arise on site!

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Never really considered that. Just assumed it would be like a match, single strike. Will check mine in the morning. Thanks👏👏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just check the pressure gauges on mine and prior to packing for a trip would tap in onto a hard surface as I was told it helps prevent the powder “ solidifying “.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I once activated a dry powder extinguisher (it did not have a gauge on it) just to see if it was still working, it performed perfectly, it was only seventeen years old at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I once activated a dry powder extinguisher (it did not have a gauge on it) just see if it was still working, it performed perfectly, it was only seventeen years old at the time.
I done the same, I now change mine every three years and keep the old ones in the garage and in every bedroom of the house.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I done the same, I now change mine every three years and keep the old ones in the garage and in every bedroom of the house.

I would dearly love a 45 bedroom house like yours Hutch.

I would have a triple garage to avoid double stocking some of the bedrooms.

• Haha

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
On a slightly different but related topic and only in Scotland so far.... from Feb 2022 the regs on detectors are changing. All smoke, heat and CO detectors should be interlinked plus there are some other details which you should check.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
On a slightly different but related topic and only in Scotland so far.... from Feb 2022 the regs on detectors are changing. All smoke, heat and CO detectors should be interlinked plus there are some other details which you should check.

Suggest you re-read the document. Only smoke/heat detectors need to be interlinked - CO detectors do not need to be linked either between themselves or with the fire system.

Interlinked smoke/heat detectors have been available for years - we've had them since we had a kitchen extension built in 2017. I think the pair cost about £24.

PoI: caravans come these days fitted with smoke detectors, usually the Fire Angel variety, but the caravan manufacturers persist in fitting the cheaper smoke/heat variety which go off every time you even think about burning the toast, rather than the rising heat type which do not. Thankfully if you replace the former with the latter they do fit the same base plate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts