Another money making scheme

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Another money making scheme
smiley-yell.gif

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I am so glad that I live in a rational, caring local government region like Central Bedfordshire, I would hate to live in an area where the lunatics are running the show. I am sure that all my relatives that have died for this country would be well impressed.

Steve W
A Central Bedfordshire resident.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And there's people worrying about another possible conflict with Argentina over the Falklands. What an absolute insult. Who's the idiot Councillor who thought that one up
smiley-yell.gif

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will be "a" councillor, more likely a committee, then they then can't blame any one person for this stupidity.
I often wonder if these people sleep well at night.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hang on a minute,
One the one hand we bemoan the lack of police on our roads to enforce things like seat belts and to catch the drivers who use mobilephones etc, yet we know that many forms of congestion and incidents are the result of inconciderate drivers doing things the're not supposed to do, and now a council does something to catch these offenders by increasing detection
You cant have it both ways.
I'm not passing judment on the incident that has been pointed out, simply becasue we don't know what the specific parking or waiting restirctions are in force at that location.
Everyone seems to be assuming the PCN was rasied for the wrong reason, but if the driver stopped for the wrong reason, then the driver is at fault.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm not passing judment on the incident that has been pointed out, simply becasue we don't know what the specific parking or waiting restirctions are in force at that location

You may not, but I do and bl**dy stupid they are too.

I have been in a similar situation, when I was approached by a warden when I parked my car on yellow lines outside a relatives house while I opened the gates across the drive. What are you supposed to do?
These people behave like complete idiots and use no common sense at all. Do councils really expect people to park a mile away and walk back to their property to open the gates, or in the case shown in the news article, drop off a 91yr old friend at their house.
Steve W

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank god for the internet and the media when nonsense like this gets the full force of coverage it deserves. The Council or whoever enforces this rubbish is now going to have to expalin itself and its enforcment policies to the media and should offer an embarasing climbdown......and they say that their officers are not performance driven !!!......yeh in your dreams.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to believe that we are prepared to put up with being filmed, spied on, bullied and shown who is boss by jumped up council officials. The 'little yellow car' with it's roof mounted prying eye camera is yet another step down the road to where one day we will all be forced to have electronic implants surgically fitted, so that these bullying faceless creatures can read our thoughts for any 'wrongdoing' and fine and bully us even more!
How did we manage to sleepwalk into this situation??
The 'little yellow car' should end up as a 'little yellow cube of scrap metal' and we should put a stop to these police state tactics now before it's too late!

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Just how low can you stoop.But then again we all know how much easier it is for the powers to be to chase a parked car than one that is moving. Im sure the lady in question will get away with that but maybe just may be a Blue Badge would have made it even easier,

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Not long ago I seem to remember reading about a traffic warden being sacked for not issuing enough parking tickets
smiley-yell.gif

No doubt some one has been doing a few sums & worked out that the motorist is not a cash cow for a mere small sum, with the yellow cube they will think that the council have won the lottery with the amount of money rolling in......... & then they can sack some more of there under performing traffic wardens
CashCow.gif
images

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We are all making assumptions that she is totally innocent and that the warden is in the wrong. None of us know the true story and who is right or wrong. For all we know she may have had a 10 minute chat with her friend when dropping off the friend or maybe just an over zealous warden keen on issuing tickets.
As far as I am aware, I don't think it is an offence to stop temporary on a yellow line, but it is if you park. I guess the question would be "what is the definition of stopped or parked on yellow lines".

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I tend to agree with the “Prof” on this one. I’m sure that if the driver was genuinely stopped just to drop off a passenger an appeal will be successful. Any method used to curb inconsiderate drivers who cause congestion by disobeying legitimate parking regulations is okay by me.
smiley-innocent.gif

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
chrisbee 1 said:
I tend to agree with the “Prof” on this one. I’m sure that if the driver was genuinely stopped just to drop off a passenger an appeal will be successful. Any method used to curb inconsiderate drivers who cause congestion by disobeying legitimate parking regulations is okay by me.
smiley-innocent.gif

The point is that no appeal would be necessary if these wardens just used a bit of common sense. The warden that tried to ticket me, saw me get out of the car and walk 6 feet to the gates and watched me open them as he started to input data into his little machine. Fortunately the matter was resolved by another warden who was passing in his car and saw us arguing on the pavement
he was a much older man and told the first warden to drop it as it would not hold water at appeal.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Steve W,
A lot of traffic problems arise when individuals decide they do not need to obey the regulations in force. At a local traffic light controlled junction, one corner is very sharp, and to give HGV's and bussess enough room to complete the turn , the traffic lights stop line is set well back from the junction. Almost every time the lights stop the traffic a moron pulls up well beyond the stop line, and invariably it blocks the junction when large vehicles can't turn.
Outside a local primary school at the end of a cul-de-sac, a number of parents pull up to let their children out, when they stop they effectively block the road and cause massive congestion despite there being zigzag school entrance lines and a seperate local authority notice declaring no stopping at any time. I should add there is a carpark right adjacent to the school entrance.
These inconsiderate selfish acts cause significant problems.
Spend a few minutes in a town centre and look at the number of drivers who dont wear seatbelts, or use mobile phones, or who try to park in the opposite direction to the traffic flow, how many when parked open doors without due regard for the approaching traffic, drivers who ignore amber traffic lights and cross as they change to red etc.
But returning to the stopping on yellow lines, Before most of these are installed there is a consultation period giving time for the public to record theri concerns or objections. but once they are are inplace then we are all should obey them. Taking personal action by disobeying the regulations is not a legitimate method registering subsequent objections.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I am not suggesting that people flout the laws concerning traffic management,
I am just asking that the people responsible for overseeing the enforcement use a bit of common sense.
As in my particular case, exactly what can I do, apart from parking a mile away,( where there are no restrictions,) then walk back, open the gates across my relatives drive, then walk the mile back again drive, back and park in her drive.
This process would of course have to be repeated in reverse when I leave to go home.
Surely even a moronic traffic warden can see that it is absurd to expect people to carry on like that.

Steve W

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
This is not a new Idea, Hammersmith & fulham have had this for years I got done 6 years ago when I stopped to check a road name before I turned right.Ps I did not get out of the car & was stopped for a matter of seconds

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
To be fair most council employed parking enforcement staff, at least in our area, do use their judgement and would have had a word before issuing a fixed penalty if the lady in the film clip had hung around for long enough to cause problems when dropping off her 92 year old companion.
What I strongly object to is the idea that we can be remotely filmed in the way depicted in the footage and issued with fixed penalties regardless of circumstances or of what is actually taking place.
Unless there are other restrictions in place double yellow lines normally allow for the loading and unloading of goods for up to 20 minutes if I'm not mistaken and the restrictions allow for the dropping off of passengers, unless on an urban clearway or 'red route' as they are now called.
These bully boy money robbing tactics allow no room for discretion and people start to be treated as 'things to be exploited' at every opportunity so we should use our votes to get rid of councils and council officers who think that they can behave in this way.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
While I agree with most of what has been written, and yes I think the tendancy is for some restrictions to be abused leading the authorities to be more over zelous than they perhaps aught to be the over riding factor must be the courts, in the form of a test case or cases. yes there is a certain ammout of hassle and time involved but in the end it is the only way to resolve the issue.
personnally I would see them in hell before I paid a fixed penalty and would choose to go to court everytime,
the one and only time this happen to me was a case in point, I was flashed by a traffic light camera for stopping on a box juntion and issued with a fixed penalty notice when it came I chose to go to court,
meanwhile I wrote to the athourity to get hold of the relevent photos, it clearly showed a ambulance in front of me exiting the junction where the exit was too narrow for it to pass me, in court I produced to photos and explained that I had stopped to allow the ambulance to pass with it blues a twos blaring as carrying on would have blocked it's exit the lights were on green when I entered the junction and my exit was clear, untill the ambulance came passed, I argued that in fact it was the ambulance that triggered the camera and not me but only showed my car stood on the box junction, I also argued that while it was techically an offence to stop on a box junction a bigger offence would have been to carry on and block the emergency services progress while attending an emergecy, the magistrate agreed and the case was dismissed, if I had been a a pushover and paid up it would have cost me £60 and points.
while all the facts are not known from watching a single video clip I am sure there would be no case to answer if it went to court, there are circumstances were it is not allowed to stop on yellow lines even to drop off a passenger, but a residential street is not one of them.
there are double yellows on the village main street where I live but no policeman or warden would issue a ticket while a resident stopped outside their house to unload shopping or open the driveway gates, and in fact a couple of the houses have a disabled box painted in the middle of the lines outside their house, hows that for inconsistancy.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Outside a local primary school at the end of a cul-de-sac, a number of parents pull up to let their children out, when they stop they effectively block the road and cause massive congestion despite there being zigzag school entrance lines and a seperate local authority notice declaring no stopping at any time. I should add there is a carpark right adjacent to the school entrance.
These inconsiderate selfish acts cause significant problems.
This was an issue down the road from us until one day the police started issuing tickets even if the driver stopped for seconds to drop off a youngster. Apparently all the tickets went to female drivers.
Quite a number of letters in the local rag objecting to the tickets and eventually the police replied asking whether they would still complain if someone was killed due to selfish parking. No more complaining letters and no more road being blocked.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts