Another new member who knows nothing!🤪

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
If you do make very sure that you understand the contract terms and conditions as they can be very restrictive. If the static reaches a certain age the site can require it to be replaced. If you don’t then buy through them you have to arrange your own removal and relocation. Site maintenance fees can be another area that require careful thought.

A seasonal pitch for a tourer could be an option. If it’s too heavy for your car to tow there are companies that will tow it for you and pitch it. Then if you don’t need it in winter the site may offer storage pitches and they will move it into the storage area for you and bring it out for the new season.
Do you know any contacts at all for all that info? Who toes it for you? What sites offer the storage out of season? I guess that way I could go for a larger caravan? When we go static I always have a top of the range van and pay heftily for it. ! But until I know I like touring I don’t want spend out on a tourer.. I’m not sure what price bracket to look at to get something decent but not expensive.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ooh it’s so complicated but the seasonal pitch might be an idea and get it towed there like you suggest.im so glad I posted on here! So helpful 👍
Seasonal might be a suitable option. Both the Clubs do them as do Camping in the Forest, plus commercial sites too. Have a look at the two club websites to give you an idea. Friends of ours had a pitch in Cornwall. They would give the owner dates when they planned to visit and he would bring their van out of the storage compound and onto a pitch. This worked out cheaper than having a pitch 100% allocated. But it did mean any ad hoc trips would be possible if there were pitches free.
Keep on looking at your options and I’m sure something will come good. In January we cancelled a seasonal pitch as we didn’t think we would be able to take advantage of it. The Caravan was all cleaned damp checked and put on sale. Then came lockdown. Holidays in cottages, statics or hotels didn’t seem to credible and foreign trips even less so. Net result the van is not for sale and sites have been booked for July and August. We’ve always enjoyed our caravans and have used them throughout the year too. When I worked being able to get away even for a weekend was a great way to de stress.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at this one but there may be others more local to your home or where you may want to site. Alternatively a friend with a caravan might oblige.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just remember if you site it on a pitch near a beach you could be looking at ÂŁ2,000+ (Electric might be extra) a Season Insurance you will need. Storage in winter period The caravan dealer might take it to your pitch depending how far away . Make sure you read everything even the small print .:D

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We did a static for a few years, cost over ÂŁ3000 a year for the pitch, then four years later when we decided we'd had enough of going to the same place all the time the site took a ÂŁ2000 fee and we lost ÂŁ3000 on the van, so four years cost us ÂŁ17,000 - the site did nothing to help the sale. We wished we'd put a tourer there.

Now we have the van in storage at ÂŁ360 per year and can go wherever we want whenever we want, we would not go down the static route again.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lislou
Just something to think about ! If you like the idea of a seasonal pitch as your new to towing, the camping and caravan club have quite a good few sites all over the country with caravan storage on site, so you could store your van at a site you like if they have a vacancy it will save you looking for storage at home, then when you want to use your van book a pitch on your chosen site and the wardens will remove it from storage and pitch it for you .
You will have to erect the awning fill your water bottles plug in your electric cable ! But it could be less hassle to see if you like the caravaning way of life.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Lislou
Just something to think about ! If you like the idea of a seasonal pitch as your new to towing, the camping and caravan club have quite a good few sites all over the country with caravan storage on site, so you could store your van at a site you like if they have a vacancy it will save you looking for storage at home, then when you want to use your van book a pitch on your chosen site and the wardens will remove it from storage and pitch it for you .
You will have to erect the awning fill your water bottles plug in your electric cable ! But it could be less hassle to see if you like the caravaning way of life.
1/ Season Pitch to pay for (Hardstanding / Grass)
2/ Electric Extra
3/ Caravan Storage
4/ Caravan Insurance

Most important you have to be a ,Member with these two
Camping & Caravan Club
Caravan Club

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
1/ Season Pitch to pay for (Hardstanding / Grass)
2/ Electric Extra
3/ Caravan Storage
4/ Caravan Insurance

Most important you have to be a ,Member with these two
Camping & Caravan Club
Caravan Club

My CCC seasonal fir April-Oct 2020 was inclusive of EHU. ÂŁ1400 approx for grass pitch.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is having the five year old with the cars very low towing limit. The only caravans you can tow are very small and could be a problem with an energetic child in bad weather and in addition most have very low limits for loading allowance and five year olds tend to need you to carry a lot.
I think a seasonal pitch of something larger would be a better bet but choose something reasonbly light that you can tow when you next update the car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the problem is having the five year old with the cars very low towing limit. The only caravans you can tow are very small and could be a problem with an energetic child in bad weather and in addition most have very low limits for loading allowance and five year olds tend to need you to carry a lot.
I think a seasonal pitch of something larger would be a better bet but choose something reasonbly light that you can tow when you next update the car.
While I agree that the cars load and tow limit is very low, the small caravans as options often can have load limits that put more conventional caravans to shame. Just look at many conventional two berths.....125kg or thereabouts not being uncommon, of which battery, mover and extra Calorlite gas bottle will take around 65kg (n)

But putting a conventional caravan on a seasonal pitch until the car's lease has run out might be a good move. It would allow the family to see if life with a caravan is for them.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This might be suitable if you still want to tow
Freedom Sunseeker 3 Berth Lightweight Touring Caravan
Shipping Length 14" 0
Body Length 10" 2"
Body Width 6" 8"
Overall Height 8" 1"
Unladed Weight 680KG
Laded Weight 750 KG
Noseweight 50 KG

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 2
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lislou,
It does seem the Capture has a small towing capacity, and that will limit the choices of caravans you might hitch to it. I would also be particularly concerned about how Renault (and some other manufacturers may have specified the maximum towed weight limit.

I'm sorry if this begins to look complicated:-

Normally most manufacturers quote the difference between the tow vehicles Gross Train Weight (GTW) and Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) as the Maximum Towed Weight (MTW). This can always be checked by looking at the weight plate attached to the vehicle.

Abnormally Renault and some other manufacturers quote the MTW limit for some models based on the difference between the GTW and the tow vehicle's kerbweight. This inflates the MTW figure by the load margin of the tow vehicle. The consequence of this is, as soon as you add any weight to the tow vehicle (like passengers and other items ) the same weight has to be deducted from the MTW allowance to keep the outfit within the GTW . This can catch many caravanners out.

You will always be legal if you follow the "normal" method of GTW-GVW.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts