Another newcomer! H E L P!

Mar 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

Well as you have probably guessed another newb!

I am looking to buy a caravan, and having three children I have to look at a 5/6 berth.

I am pretty sure I will be ok towing this with my van (not a gypsy .....honest!), a Vivaro Gross Vehicle Weight(Kg): 2700

Kerb Weight(Kg): 1677

Towing Limit(Kg): 2000

I don't think our car is up to the job.

So with a limited budget in mind (3-4k), to see how we get on with this new hobby, what are your suggestions towards a van.

I have yet to get to grips of all the manufacturers, and layouts!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First of all welcome to the caravan life Mark, I am sure you will find the forum interesting and entertaining. Don't set your mind on one model, visit a few dealers and see what is on offer and make you mind up after seeing different vans. What may be good to one family in a van might not be suitable to another. Again it will depend on how old the children are, the use you intend to put the van to, etc. Visiting dealers and finally selecting a suitable van is all part of the fun of caravanning. Good luck and enjoy yourselves - we have for 37 years.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark, as Colin says, the first thing you need to do is get familiar with the layouts available. To do that, the only sensible way is to visit as many dealers as possible. In fact buying from a dealer is the best way to go for a newcomer. Yes it is the most expensive option but it is also the safest (make sure you get a warranty), so unless you have a buddy you can rely on, hit those dealers. Don't feel pressurized by the salesmen, buy when you are good and ready. You need to prioritise on your layout. Is a shower important, will the kids share a double or do you need all singles? Chances are you wont get the ideal van straight away, but at least you will have a better idea when it comes time to upgrade.

On a personal level, I would be looking for caravans from three manufacturers, Bailey, Swift and Elddis.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
It is important to note that many caravan sites will not accept towing vehicles with 'sign' writing on the sides! Plain sided vans are OK.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a thought Mark. If you peruse the classified ads in the caravan press, you might just find a s/h van from a couple who are retiring from the hobby. These vans will (generally) have been cherished, and may well come with all the kit you will eventually need to buy yourself (awning, water carriers waste tanks etc) which can run into many hundreds of pounds over and above the price of the van.Good hunting

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts