Another One New To Caravanning

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi All, thought we would join the site and forums. We are going to be getting our very first van in time for next spring, so we really will be newbies to all this . We'veLooked at many caravans . We will have around £4500 to spend .We will go for a 2 Berth most likely, would like a 4 berth but im a little worried about extra length of the outfit as a new tower.We would really like an end shower room, the extra space and privacy seems like it could be useful in the long run . Probably buy private as there definitely seems to be more on offer in this price bracket than going through a dealer, with plenty of extras chucked in. Hopefully we will be smart enough to spot the obvious (Non CRIS, Rusted chassis, Damp) etc. Will be towing with an Omega 2.2 Auto...Can tow up to 1350 MTPLM with this, so quite a bit of scope with vans up to around 1100 MIRO. We really liked the look of the Abbey Freestyle, the Bailey Pageants and The Elddis's (particularly the Odyssey) .Also saw a really nice 2 Berth Coachman Amara. We will hopefully be able to get a late 90's / early 2000 model with the budget. Im also trying to research any particular models that are renowned for good towing characteristics (The coachmans always seem to have good reviews in this respect)...Anyway, any comments or suggestions / advice would be really welcome....See you at a Touring site sometime maybe!!
Chris and Sara

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris and Sara, and welcome. Seems like you've done loads of research already, that's a really good start. You'll find loads of advice on here, in amongst the threads, on other parts of the forum, and from the members. If you have specific questions, just ask, and someone will no doubt come up with the answer. You're right in that you'll most likely get more for your money from a private purchase, but of course you don't get any guarantees that way. Damp is generally the biggest fear, as it can be so expensive to put right. You could take a damp meter with you to check (preferably a good one, rather than a cheapie which may not give an accurate reading) - if you don't want to buy one, I think you can hire them. Or you could maybe engage the services of a mobile caravan engineer to give a van the once-over for you. Just a couple of ideas to be going on with.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Chris an Sarah.
Welcome to the wonderful world of caravaning i feel sure you'll have a lot of wonderful times when you get your van.
On a personel note i've found the longer the outfit the easier it is to tow and manuvoure so dont be to afraid to take the plung so to speak.
If you go down the private buyer route then its likely that the seller maywell you take the van for a spin.
Private buyers can be a great and cost effective way to get into caravaning especialy if you buy from someone who is giving up with caravaning as they'll throw in lots of extras which can cost the earth.
Have fun dont forget to show us some pics of the van when you get it and happy caravaning

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks...I think i'll look at Damp meters, its worth the investment to avoid any problems..We have a friend who will come and help us too, he mentioned looking in all the corners, pressing the panels..also making sure the floor doesnt bounce etc etc...thanks for the advice

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Neil, thanks for that,..I'm encouraged that you advise a longer van can be in fact easier to manouver...I think i will take the plunge, because our ideal van would be a 4 berth /end washroom, so might as well jump in the deep end there!! Certainly agree that private sellers can tend to include Aquaroll, waste containers, wheel clamps ,etc...some even sell with a motor mover in situ, so it's definitely more attractive to us to try a private seller...Thanks for your input, we'll definitely post some pictures up once we finally get one

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello Chris & Sarah
Just like you we are new to caravanning this year . We bought an Elddis Odyssey 482 and can highly recommend it . The end washroom gives you plenty of room and the separate shower saves having to wipe the whole bathroom dry when you've finished . It's easy to tow and importantly its light enough to manouvre even without a mover . Good luck in your search and enjoy your new van . We just wish we'd done this years ago !

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Chris & Sara, welcome to the Practical Caravan forum and if it's advice that you need you've definitely come to the right place!
The more research that you do now, the better your chances of securing a good honest well maintained and cared for caravan when the time comes. It's much better to ask questions at this stage than when it's too late and you have parted with your money.
It never ceases to amaze me when I read posts from new caravan owners who have bought their caravans sight unseen from online auction websites so the first piece of advice to remember is to always have a good look before buying. The length of your caravan will make little difference when towing and longer caravans are easier to reverse because of the greater distance of the axle from the tow hitch which causes steering inputs to have less or slower effect.
All caravans manufactured since 1992 (by NCC members - so all UK manufacturers) will be CRiS registered, if the vin number is not etched on the caravan windows it's either pre 1992 or it could be stolen. Modern caravan chassis are galvanised so they won't be rusty.
Good luck in your quest to become caravanners.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris & Sarah welcome to our world
smiley-laughing.gif

just wanted to say that you may want to at least consider a van with a fixed bed.
I have an Abbey Freestyle 540 with a fixed bed and have had many vans before this but only now, with my current van can i say i have arrived.
I promise you that if you dont get a fixed bed this time around, you WILL upgrade one day soon .
all the very best with your search for what ever you choose ....... Geoff & Joan

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Chris and Sarah, Welcome to the Forum and I am sure you will get plenty of good advice from the members. First of all I would like to comment on make of van. Yes Coachman are very good especially the Amara Range are very good value and well made and comfortable vans. When we came back to Touring after a break of 10 years we bought a new 2003 Coachman Amara which we kept for 3 years before changing to an Elddis Crusader twin axle. We loved the Amara 520 end bathroom but love the Elddis even more with a fixed bed. We bought the Elddis when a year old. But we always buy from an authorised dealer of which here in Suffolk have in the town 2 miles away. They are Agents for Coachman and Elddis always get a super deal with excellent back up and guarantee. If the caravan is 2nd hand and it comes into them with the extras, they always leave them with the van when it is sold. So there is something to be said for buying from a good dealer.
Hope you soon see the van of your dreams and enjoy the experience of using it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts